Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Menu - good/bad/other

First - We are having a dry wedding. Several VIPs are recovering alcoholics, and it's more important that they feel comfortable than we have alcohol. Plus, my bratty sister will get nasty if she drinks. Just not worth it.

Second - Dinner is going to start almost immediately after ceremony. It's two blocks from church to restaurant, and we are going to shuttle guests between hotel, church and reception due to lack of easy parking.

Third - No cocktail hour. We're doing pictures before and since it's a later service (6:30pm), we want to avoid a gap so our guests can get dinner at a normal hour.

Fourth - Menu doesn't have a lot of vegetarian options. No guest is vegetarian or allergic to ingredients.

Sun dried tomato hummus with pita bread (vegan)
Baked brie with crackers and apples (vegetarian?)

Green salad

The restaurant's specialty chicken
Nut coated broiled salmon
Lemon spiced grilled shrimp
Mushroom stuffed peppers (vegetarian)

Grilled squash (vegan)
Herbed roasted parsnips and potatoes (vegetarian)
The restaurant's specialty beets (vegan)

Very chocolate wedding cake
Apple pie (vegan I think)
Vanilla bean ice cream

Fifth - For favors, we are probably doing local fun things - sampler of chocolates, this amazing salsa and chips to go with, some cookies and a coupon for the best donuts ever. Coupon only because stale donuts are icky. Everyone is local for us.

That's our current food plans. Anything stand out as rude or pushy or in need of improvement?

Re: Menu - good/bad/other

• Sounds tasty to me! You have a lot of entree options, so guests should be satisfied.
  • Sorry, I got lost drooling and didn't catch your question...

In all seriousness, it sounds like an awesome menu!

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Sounds wonderful.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Thanks! Just was wondering if I'm missing anything. I know alcohol is normal for evening reception, but we aren't having the full deal, just having a nicer meal and talking with friends. My DF won't dance, I don't really like to, so we're not bothering. We can serve a mostly nice meal without dancing or a meh dry chicken meal with dancing with our budget. Food won.

• Thanks! Just was wondering if I'm missing anything. I know alcohol is normal for evening reception, but we aren't having the full deal, just having a nicer meal and talking with friends. My DF won't dance, I don't really like to, so we're not bothering. We can serve a mostly nice meal without dancing or a meh dry chicken meal with dancing with our budget. Food won.
    As it should, IMO! I think your menu sounds awesome.

• sounds good.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • This menu sounds awesome! 

I'm curious about the appetizers since you aren't having cocktail hour.  How will they be served?  Are they going to be on a buffet along with all of the other food?  If so I'm wondering if cheese cubes will work better than baked brie?  Or perhaps individual pastry puffs with a piece of cheese and apple on top?  Baked brie is so yummy but it takes me longer to put on my plate/is harder to deal with in a buffet line.  But then again that is a very small issue.

• The apps are individually plated. They aren't really needed, but I know we are more likely to have some delay or another. Thus, give our guests something to graze on for 15-20 minutes. And if there's no delay, we can do toasts then or just enjoy really yummy food or whatever.

I'm planning for what can go wrong. Nothing does, I'll be thrilled. But short of massive breakdowns, our guests at least shouldn't see any issues.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards