Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions

When do we 'I do'??

Are the 'I do's' typically done before the vows are said (we are writing our own), after the vows are said, or after the ring exchange right before the kiss?
Anniversary

Re: When do we 'I do'??

• JMalettasJMalettas member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited April 2014
     Our "I do's" were right before our written vows. Although, they were supposed to be after. We did the readings and traditional vows, then our personal vows were supposed to be read right after the traditional ones, (they forgot we had our own too), then "I do's" and kiss. :)

*J
  • In my case we never did. Really...we said I will at the beginning but the pastor messed up & totally missed doing our vows. We didn't realize it until after we had already left the church. But the license was signed & submitted so we're still legal...lol

• We didn't either. We didn't have an officiant and it wasn't part of our ceremony.
  • They're usually before the vows. You basically say you're ready to go before you start making promises. 
  • I've seen them done before the vows. In my case, we aren't saying our own vows. I always considered the "I do"s to be vow enough. Once we "I do" then we will have our kiss and be done.
  •  I've never paid attention at other weddings to see when they're said, but it just makes sense to me that it would be the final thing before the kiss. Vows, I do's, rings, kiss is what makes sense to me. I guess the order probably doesn't matter that much, I was just curious as to what was most common.
    Anniversary

•  I've never paid attention at other weddings to see when they're said, but it just makes sense to me that it would be the final thing before the kiss. Vows, I do's, rings, kiss is what makes sense to me. I guess the order probably doesn't matter that much, I was just curious as to what was most common.
     That's the order we were supposed to be in, if they hadn't messed up adding our own vows to it! :P I'd think that's generally the more common way of doing it in a Church setting though.

*J
  • The sample my reverend gave me goes Questions ("I do"), Exchange of Rings, Personalized Vows, Blessing, Pronouncement. It always seemed to me that the "I do" should be the be-all end-all grand finale but I think we'll stick with it this way anyway (and in hindsight this is how I've usually seen it done. You declare your intent before you make your vows). Plus it'll give me time to try and calm my nerves on the easy stuff before I start to ugly cry through my vows!

• JennyColadaJennyColada member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited April 2014
    We are doing:
    Our spoken "love letters" to each other. Traditional vows ("I do"s). Kiss. PAR-TAY.
  • Erikan73 said:

In my case we never did. Really...we said I will at the beginning but the pastor messed up & totally missed doing our vows. We didn't realize it until after we had already left the church. But the license was signed & submitted so we're still legal...lol

DH answered "I do", then officiant went directly into a prayer.  In the video you can see DH & me trying to peek at the typed ceremony I gave the officiant.  I think I put in "repeat for bride", & instead he skipped it!  DH's grandmother grabbed us at the reception & said we needed to go back to the sanctuary & do our vows over because we weren't really married yet.....; the paper was signed & filed at clerk's office, so we're good!  We did repeat a line during ring exchange "as a symbol of my vow"....I just tell people I didn't promise DH anything!
  • We did our vows question and answer style. So the officiant would ask "Do you (whstever)?" and we responded "we do". Then we exchanged rings.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards