Not Engaged Yet

Introduction Post (Only 3 months Late!)

So, since I have become more active on the boards, I wanted to actually introduce myself and get to know you all better. I did fill one of these out on the other board, but that doesn't really help to get to know any of you better (and I didn't realize at the time that it was okay to create an entirely new post on it). So, here is the survey, and feel free to ask me any questions. I did change some things from my original post, but if you feel like searching through that board I would be happy to answer any questions about that one too. I will do my best to reply quickly.

Screen Name: AuroraRose41

Significant Other's Age: 23 (will be 24 in 2 weeks)

What You Do: Electrical Engineer; contemplating law school

What SO Does: Electrical Engineer; contemplating getting an MBA

State of Relationship: NEY, but ring shopping (as many of you already know), and living together since September 2013

How Long You've Been Together: 2.5 years

How You Met: During a programming class in college where I was the only girl, and his friend and him made a bet to see who would get up the nerve to talk to me first. BF won the bet.

Wedding Date (if you're engaged/married): N/A

Real Babies: None

Fur Babies: None, but considering getting a dog in the very near future

Loves: Dogs, Reading, Game of Thrones, Once Upon a Time, Paddleboarding, Kayaking, Camping, Archery, Sephora/Make-up, Pick Up Trucks, Sweet Wine, Whiskey, The Adirondack Mountains, Cooking, Baking

Hates: Bad Drivers, Spiders, People who can't read instructions properly

Pet Peeves: Being told I must be a bad driver because I am female, or that I am wrong because I am female, or to go make someone a sandwich. If you tell me to make you a sandwich, you aren't worthy of the deliciousness that comes out of my kitchen.

Hobbies/Activities: Cooking, Baking, Kayaking, Paddleboarding, Camping, Reading, Rock Climbing/High Ropes courses, Waterskiing, Traveling, Playing the Flute

Favorite Thing About Your SO: His silly sense of humor. He always knows how to cheer me up.

Least Favorite Thing About Your SO: Sometimes he does chores on his own, but most of the time I have to ask before he will clean anything. Oh, and the classic, Me: "I'm doing laundry do you need anything washed?" Him: "Nope I'm good." Next Morning: Him:"I have nothing clean to wear."

Describe Your Personality: I like to meet new people, and am quite adventurous. I love trying new things, whether it be seeing a new place, trying a new sport, or eating a different type of food. I am also very loyal to my friends, but am not someone that will allow others to walk all over me. I am not very religious, but do have my own set of morals that I try to follow every day to be a good person overall. I can be very judgey at times though, but it's normally if the person is doing something against etiquette or just being a jerk to others. I really try to follow the age old rule of treat others the way you want to be treated.

Snark Level (1 [low snark] - 10 [high snark]): I'm going to say 8, because I can be pretty snarky at times (I absolutely hate the burlap and lace trend).

I've Been On TK Since: January 2014

How You Came to Be On TK: I am a bridesmaid for one of my best friends next year, and we started looking at bridesmaid dresses online when David's discontinued her color for the 3rd time. I like doing research, and lurked for a while, and decided that I wanted to start contributing.  It has also helped me to become her go to girl for etiquette questions that have since come up.

How I like my potatoes: I'm Irish American. It is very hard to find a way that I don't like my potatoes. Let's just say that it was not a pretty picture at Thanksgiving last year when my uncle who was bringing the potatoes was late to dinner. The BF was there for that one, and exclaimed "You know your family is Irish when the major freakout is that the potatoes aren't here yet."

Favorite book/author: I can't pick a favorite book, but my favorite author by far is Clive Cussler. I love his Dirk Pitt series and his Issac Bell series.

Tell Us Something Interesting About Yourself: I love everything to do with aviation and space. I was one of 5 students during middle school selected from my state to attend a private rocket launch at a NASA base, and I have flown airplanes before. I was actually going to become an aeronautical engineer originally, but decided that I preferred designing circuits to designing aircraft/spacecraft. Plus, many aeronautical engineers actually were hired from my college to work at a shipyard building military ships and submarines (aerodynamics principles are very similar in water), which I had no interest in.  I would like to eventually own a small plane to fly for fun.

Re: Introduction Post (Only 3 months Late!)

• Do you have your private pilot's license?
  • BreMRBreMR member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    Wow, I'm always super impressed by people who are good at things that scare me.. i.e. engineering, especially with electronics!  My bf is going to school to be a pilot, he also loves everything airplanes!

What's your favorite holiday?  What kind of dog are you hoping to get?
  • @KeptInStitches I do not yet, but would like to eventually get that too. I am a member of a flying club through my company that will offer the course at a discount, and am thinking of pursuing that after I have my career figured out a little more.

• @BreMR fortunately the electronics that I work on are more scared of me then I am of them. I mean that as, static electricity from humans will actually damage the circuits that I work on, and the most of a shock that I would get from it is less then a 9V battery or the shock you get from touching a door handle after walking on carpet. I have to wear special protective clothing to prevent damage to the circuits.

My favorite holiday....oh that's a very hard question. I think I would have to say Christmas, as I love the giving nature of everyone around that time, and cooking delicious food for people too. But I also really enjoy dressing up for Halloween, and my birthday is April Fool's Day (if that's even a real holiday....), and I like Thanksgiving because I get to cook for people again.

The BF and I are both dog lovers, so we would adopt one from a shelter/rescue group of some kind. However, we both prefer bigger dogs, and BF really wants a greyhound, so we will probably end up going that route. A greyhound was actually my first dog when I was a kid, so I have quite a soft spot for them in my heart, too. I have been looking into the greyhound rescue organizations nearby a lot lately, and showing him pictures of the dogs. He keeps getting mad at me because he wants to go and adopt one right now, but we live a little too far away from work to be able to go home and take care of one now during the day. We are looking to move within a few miles of work come the fall, and then will probably get a dog :).

• phiraphira member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    I know you're not joking about the Irish American <3 potatoes thing because my partner is also Irish American and will eat and enjoy potatoes in any form (although he prefers mashed potatoes to anything else).
    Anniversary
    now with ~* INCREASED SASSINESS *~
  • You share a birthday with the Weasley twins and that makes me irrationally happy today.
  • AuroraRose41AuroraRose41 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited April 2014

@phira I also prefer mashed potatoes, but love all potatoes :). BF (Italian American descent) has watched in disgust as I go at a bowl of plain mashed potatoes. We even had a minor argument last night over french fries, because he needed to add more salt and I thought there was too much salt already on them!

@KeptInStitches yay for making you happy! Most people don't believe me though because they think I am joking. The best story I have is when my mother went into labor with me. I was supposed to be born in Mid-March, but was late. My father worked at a car dealership at the time as a salesman, and was in a meeting when my mother went into labor that morning. She called the dealership, and the secretary who answered would not interrupt the meeting to get my dad because she thought my poor mother was playing a prank since it was April 1st. After a few minutes the secretary finally believed her and let my dad know I guess. I hear the story every year from my parents.

Edit: TK is eating my paragraphs....think I fixed it now

• phiraphira member
    @AuroraRose41 J prefers his mashed potatoes smothered in ranch dressing. I didn't grow up eating mashed potatoes (just baked potatoes or baked sweet potatoes), so it's all a mystery to me!
    Anniversary
  • @phira I just can't with the ranch dressing. I like my potatoes as plain as can be. BF thinks I'm nuts because he thinks that they are flavorless.

This is the best relevant gif I could find, and I love the minions: image

• What's your favorite beer?

I may or may not be KUI.
  • @KeptInStitches What is KUI?

And my favorite beer is a San Diego local craft beer, Karl Strauss Red Trolley Ale. It's an Irish (this is pure coincidence) Red Ale with caramelized malts, and not too hoppy flavored.  My second favorite would probably be Sam Adams Winter Lager.

• phiraphira member
    KUI = knotting under the influence. That's one of the acronyms it took me MONTHS to figure out.
    Anniversary
  • @phira Thanks! And I am half way into a bottle of Riesling, so I think I would also fall under KUI right now too. What are you guys drinking?

• @AuroraRose41, I had one of those days where I was everyone's counselor (how do they find me?), so I had a Honeyweiss this evening to take the edge off.
  • @KeptInStitches I understand completely. I hate days like that. And in a similar way, I had a weekly one on one with my manager today who kept asking me details about emails that I never received in the first place. I felt like an idiot the entire time because I had no idea what he was asking me about! I made sure to point out that I was indeed not on the recipient list when he showed me these emails, so at least I don't look like the incompetent one. I just hate being put into that situation in the first place. Lots of wine/alcohol tonight.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards