Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Rice Krispie Wedding Cake?

Would any of you be turned off by the wedding cake being a rice krispie cake? Excited by it? I've always been kind of 'meh' about wedding cakes, but then I saw this and holy crap I'm in love:

Now, if we had the budget to do a dessert tray as well as this I'd be all over it. But right now it's looking like whatever we have as our 'display cake' is going to be our only dessert. If you were our guest - would you be upset?

Re: Rice Krispie Wedding Cake?

• I wouldn't be upset, but I do know people who wouldn't be able to eat it because of dentures.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Most people on here LOVE cake and say they are very disappointed without traditional cake. 

I personally hate cake so I wouldn't mind. I wouldn't be stoked about it because those don't taste great, I'd prefer a pie or some other option. You'd be surprised how far a budget can go with an alternative dessert. I'm spending $200 for 100 personal size pies and 100 personal size cheesecakes! 

• Personally, i LOVE this idea, and have been toying with it myself! My fiance and I are not "cake people", but this is a throwback to childhood which is one of our underlying themes of the wedding!
  • I fucking love Rice Krispie treats, but I find that cake unappetizing. Could you do tiered trays of regular-sized Treats instead?
  • I love Rice Krispie treats as well, but think normal sized ones on tiers of platters would be more appetizing. I'd also have another dessert option, as well, i freaking love desserts but don't find rice krispies satisfying as a single dessert. 

Anniversary
  • I love rice krispie treats and cake alternatives.  I agree with PP though that it doesn't seem filling enough to be the only dessert.  You could probably add some brownie trays and cookie trays without spending too much money and have a dessert buffet with those items.

Also I'm used to eating standard size rice krispie treats.  When the pieces get very big they can be hard or messy to eat with hands but I'm not sure if they work well with knife and fork either (never tried it).

• Someone will probably be unhappy... but it wouldn't be me... I LOVE Rice Krispie treats too. Yum... I would assume the caterer would cut them into reasonable size pieces for you.  

I think PP suggestions about some cookies is probably a good idea... and what's more a throwback to childhood than cookies and milk?  (Though I know more people that can't have regular milk than can so maybe not "and milk" :) )
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • ElcaBElcaB member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    I like Rice Krispies Treats, but this doesn't excite me at all. 
  • I have seen some rice krispie treats coated with chocolate and m and ms and such before. Maybe you can spice up the plain treats with toppings, if your heart is set on rice krispie treats. Here is a link to some examples:

• I love Rice Krispie treats but they would not substitute cake in my opinion. Cake is more substantial and more of a dessert where as Rice Krispies are more of a snack. Now if they were paired with cake pops and brownies and other small desserts/treats then I would be happier.

• My FI loves rice krispie treats, but I do not.  I wouldn't be thrilled if this was the only option.  We are having s'mores bar and then some cookies / brownies for our spread.  Maybe you can do something low-cost in addition to the krispie treat cake?  Even asking your bridal party / close relatives to bake two dozen of their favorite cookies each would be great. 
  • My FI loves rice krispie treats, but I do not.  I wouldn't be thrilled if this was the only option.  We are having s'mores bar and then some cookies / brownies for our spread.  Maybe you can do something low-cost in addition to the krispie treat cake?  Even asking your bridal party / close relatives to bake two dozen of their favorite cookies each would be great. 
    No you should not be asking that of your family or bridal party.  If you want cookies you bake them yourself or you go out and buy them.  But you don't ask others to bake stuff for you.

My mom and I are baking cookies for the cookie bar at my wedding. I told mom I was doing a cookie bar, and she OFFERED to help me bake them.

Don't ask for them to help. If they offer you may take them up on ot.

Anniversary
  • Couldn't stay away from this. I was trying to figure out what to do for a grooms cake, and now I know. He freaking loves rice krispy treats!! Thank you so much for posting this, now I have inspiration!!
  • speakeasy14speakeasy14 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited July 2014
    A lot of the big cake companies actually make their cakes with rice krispies. This is usually so they can model, shape, and do crazy things to the cake, then leave it for display. Then for serving they will have a sheet cake in the back, so the display cake is never cut. The sheet cake is in the back so no one sees it and it does not have to be anything pretty. Plus since it's a regular sheet cake it will not cost the same as a wedding cake. It is completely possible to have a cake like this, but I would have a sheet cake in the back for guests who'd prefer regular cake, or some other dessert option to go along with it. *TK hates spaces*
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards