Not Engaged Yet

Career Questions

Hey everyone, I know I haven't actually been around much (gah, life is crazy), but I was thinking that it would be interesting to hear about your career/job choices.  So, some questions:

1. What is your current job?  How do you feel about it?  What are your favorite and least favorite parts of it?

2. How many different jobs have you had? If you've changed directions a few times, why?

3.  What was the worst job you've ever had? 

4. What did you study in school?  Does your current job have anything to do with it?

5.  What type of schooling is required for what you do now/want to do eventually? (Master's, certification, etc?)

6.  If you could have any job in the whole world, what would it be?

...and tell me anything else you want to about life.  

Re: Career Questions

• ShallowSeasShallowSeas member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited April 2014
    1. What is your current job?  How do you feel about it?  What are your favorite and least favorite parts of it?
    I work in the mental health department of a maximum-security prison. I like the job but it definitely has it's challenges and can be extremely stressful, chaotic, and unpredictable. I like that every day is different, I like my co-workers, I even like some of the offenders.  I like that I get to teach them new skills and help control their mental health issues. I don't like when I have offenders who don't want the help that is offered to them, I don't like some of the stuff I see and hear. I don't like working in such a high-security facility although I am glad that its so safe.

2. How many different jobs have you had? If you've changed directions a few times, why?
    I have had 2 jobs within my professional career as a social worker. I took the first job I was offered right out of college at a community mental health organization and realized that that was NOT what I wanted to do. I don't like going into peoples' homes; I've seen a lot of nasty things and have heard some horror stories. I changed jobs because of that.

The community mental health job I just described. It was bad. It sucks having to worry about bringing bed bugs, cockroaches, or fleas home. I hated having to spray repellent on my clothing before entering a clients' home and making sure I wasn't sitting on any upholstered furniture. AND THE SMELLS -_-

4. What did you study in school?  Does your current job have anything to do with it?
    Social Work with an emphasis on mental health. My degree is a requirement of my current job.

5.  What type of schooling is required for what you do now/want to do eventually? (Master's, certification, etc?)
    A Bachelors in Social Work (BSW) with 2+ years mental health experience.

I really don't know the answer to this. I'm not sure what I really want to be when I grow up which is why I haven't gone back for my Masters in anything.

Anniversary

• 1. What is your current job?  How do you feel about it?  What are your favorite and least favorite parts of it?
    I do administrative work at a large university.  I don't feel great about it.  It's pretty boring.  My least favorite thing is that I spend all day sitting in front of a computer without much interaction.  My two favorite parts--it's a short bike ride from my house, and sometimes I get to meet with/advise students, which I enjoy.

I've had... 5 jobs including this one (and including summer jobs/internships).  They've all been very different because I just needed any job, and also I have no idea what I'm doing with my life.

I'm gonna say this one.  At least with most of the other jobs, I either got to be outside (camp counselor), or worked with awesome people (internships at folk music organizations), or got to walk around and help people (library).  Here, I'm holed up in a cubicle in front of a computer, and I don't particularly care for my coworkers.  

I studied Ethnomusicology.  My current job has nothing to do with it. 

For my current job?  A Bachelor's degree and some basic office experience.  Right now, I think I might want to become a dietician, which would require some prereq science classes, a Master's, an internship, and passing a test, which would all take a few years.

I'd be a musician.  Travel around and play gigs and teach at camps. 
  • 1. What is your current job?  How do you feel about it?  What are your favorite and least favorite parts of it? Right now I teach at a university. For the most part I love it. I enjoy interacting with my students and being in the classroom. I don't love the department I work for because it's poorly run and has a lot of problems. My favorite part is watching my students grow and seeing how much improvement they make from the start of the semester to the end. My least favorite part is dealing with students who clearly don't want to be in college.

2. How many different jobs have you had? If you've changed directions a few times, why? I haven't had very many different jobs. I had some random jobs in high school (lifeguard, teaching swimming lessons, some administrative stuff) but other than this teaching job the only other position I've had is a research assistant in the same department work for now as a teacher.

3.  What was the worst job you've ever had? I've honestly enjoyed every job I've had. I've been very lucky that way.

4. What did you study in school?  Does your current job have anything to do with it? I studied communication and now I teach public speaking so it does have to do with my degree. My contract ends in a week though and now I'm applying to a lot of different jobs but I do feel like they all have to do with what I'm studying in school.

5.  What type of schooling is required for what you do now/want to do eventually? (Master's, certification, etc?) For a long time I've wanted to teach at a university which would mean getting my PhD. I'm going to graduate with my masters in a week. However, now I'm thinking I want to take time off from school and try something different, something outside academia before committing to so much more stress!

6.  If you could have any job in the whole world, what would it be? I would love to be a writer. I need to make more time for it than I do now. I also sometimes regret not going into nursing. That's what I wanted to do when I graduated high school but I didn't pursue it, I wish I had at least tried so that I could know for sure if it was something I would've actually liked. I also regret switching my major away from history. I'm toying with getting a masters degree in history just because I love it so much but I have no idea what I would do with it.

• @severmilli12 Oh, that community mental health job sounds awful!  It seems like your current job would be really fulfilling and interesting.
  • @travelcoffeemug0 it was! I refuse to ever work in community mental health again!  Working in such a secure facility like the prison can be a pain because I am limited to what I can wear and bring into the facility, and I have to go through shake-down and a metal detector any time i enter, plus have all my bags, wallet, and food inspected...but I would much rather go through all the security measures instead of some of the houses I have been in...
    Anniversary

• 1. What is your current job?  How do you feel about it?  What are your favorite and least favorite parts of it? Currently I work for a healthcare provider verifying insurance benefits and authorizations for elective outpatient surgeries. I like the job, it's not very stressful and I have a good repore with my co-workers. My favorite parts are working with and seeing patients. My least favorite parts would be that sometimes my work is finished by noon and there really isn't anything to do until 4:30pm.

2. How many different jobs have you had? If you've changed directions a few times, why? I babysat kids in high school, I worked as an usher at a hockey arena, data entry clerk for a telemarketing company, hairstylist, and my current position. I changed directions only because I either moved or got the education to do what I needed to do.

3.  What was the worst job you've ever had? I was an assistant at a hair salon, and the owner was horrible. He screamed at me all the time, threw coffee at me, etc. Good times.

4. What did you study in school?  Does your current job have anything to do with it? I have my BS in Sociology and nope not at all hahahaha.

5.  What type of schooling is required for what you do now/want to do eventually? (Master's, certification, etc?) I think for this position "technically" you need a high school diploma and 5 + years experience. Down the line we might have to get certification, but I doubt it.

6.  If you could have any job in the whole world, what would it be? Housewife. Just stay home, clean my house and then do nothing the rest of the day. Or a job where I got to travel the world.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

image 59 Invited
    image 36 Yes
    image 2 No
    image 21 Unknown
  • Yeah, I'd take a metal detector/inspection over other people's super gross houses any day.  That is one thing I forgot to say that I like about my job--it's on a college campus, so the atmosphere is nice and the facilities are well-kept.
  • 1. What is your current job?  How do you feel about it?  What are your favorite and least favorite parts of it? A patent attorney for a small firm. I like it. I get to see something new everyday (i.e. the subject matter is different), but it is the same so you can get in a groove (e.g. I write an application which has the same format as any other application). My least favorite part is probably having to tell people they are so completely wrong, but in a nice way. I just want to be blunt and tell them they are dumb, but they control whether the patent issues so I have to be nice. Also, I dislike talking on the phone. Mostly because I like to see people's body reactions so I can tell how the conversation is going.

2. How many different jobs have you had? If you've changed directions a few times, why? I will presume this question is to mean how many jobs as an adult. In that case, 3. The first I was a technician. The second I worked in a big engineering firm. The third is this one.

3.  What was the worst job you've ever had? My first one, but only because I had to work 12 hour days, which wasn't the worst part. The worst part is that we rotated between nights and days every 4 months. It was hard to get used to.

4. What did you study in school?  Does your current job have anything to do with it? In undergrad I studied electronics engineering, which my first two jobs were based on. Then I went to law school. My current job deals with both and neither at the same time.

5.  What type of schooling is required for what you do now/want to do eventually? (Master's, certification, etc?) A degree in a science related field, not all sciences qualify, but its a good generalization and a JD.

6.  If you could have any job in the whole world, what would it be? I would be a fighter pilot. Well I would have been when I was younger (after high school younger). Now my SO jokes that I would be a part time baker/photographer/travel agent.
  • CLoGreenEyesCLoGreenEyes member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited April 2014
    1. What is your current job?  How do you feel about it?  What are your favorite and least favorite parts of it? I'm a nursing aide for inpatient hospice. I am also in nursing school.

I love the opportunities to help make my patients' transitions easier by taking care of them; instead of them worrying about pain and their families trying to meet all the grueling physical needs that come with end-of-life, they can spend more time together and focus on what really matters. People always ask how I can do something so sad, but there are actually a lot of happy moments in hospice! People get married at our unit so their parents can see, people get to have family birthdays and celebrate their lives, we've arranged a surprise antique car show for one man, people's pets come in to spend time with them - all this stuff that makes up little pieces of a lifetime can happen in hospice too. And I love that.

The WORST part is nights like last night. When there is no time to actually spend with my patients and families, I feel so ineffectual and useless, and that burns me out.

2. How many different jobs have you had? If you've changed directions a few times, why?  I did retail and food service when I was in high school, lots of baby-sitting, lots of administrative assistant kind of stuff in college. I went to college thinking I wanted to be a counselor, but I had a job at our school's career service office that convinced me I did NOT want to do that forever. So I decided that nursing was good enough for my grandma, it was good enough for my mom, so it was gonna be good enough for me. One situation in which defaulting to my family was actually a great choice, because I LOVE it.

3.  What was the worst job you've ever had? The retail job I had - it was for a place that sold stuff for the home. It was NOT interesting, and the management was a fail.

4. What did you study in school?  Does your current job have anything to do with it? I have an A.A. in English, a B.A. in Psychology, and I'll have my ADN in Nursing in August. I would argue that Psych and English help VERY much in any career, and especially in nursing it has helped my communication and relational skills so much that I think they were entirely worth doing. But obviously getting that Nursing degree is going to be pretty crucial too.

5.  What type of schooling is required for what you do now/want to do eventually? (Master's, certification, etc?) For my current job, I took a month-long course and passed a test. Boom. For nursing, if I don't want to stay in bedside nursing forever, I'll probably have to get at least my BSN, which I will probably start on once I'm comfortable in my first nursing job. There are also a ton of certificate programs I find fascinating (forensic nursing and transcultural nursing are my favorites) that I will pursue once I have a better idea of what grabs me in nursing. I would say I'd like to be a nurse practitioner, but...I don't know if I've got a Masters or DNP degree in me.

6.  If you could have any job in the whole world, what would it be? A voice actress. I think it would be so awesome to just show up in yoga pants and a t-shirt to a studio, record my voice talking and singing, and make lots of money for it!
  • 1. What is your current job?  How do you feel about it?  What are your favorite and least favorite parts of it?
    I work in Payroll at a school system. I just started about a month and a half ago and so far I am loving it. I am about 10 minutes from home and two mile away from the house were closing on so it is all working out great. There are times I don't have much to do because it's a biweekly payroll but it evens out when there is work. I also enjoy the fact that we get half days whenever there is no school so we get all Friday's in the summer as half days.

After college? This is my third. I've done payroll at all three jobs but the level of my involvement from beginning to end has varied.

I worked at an at home nursing facility. The boss I had was a huge see you next Tuesday and I hated going to that job everyday. She viewed me as stupid because I was the youngest one employed there and would talk to me as such. I hated that woman so much and was happy to hear she was fired shortly after "eliminating the position" that I was in. (Although I gave my notice the day before she "eliminated" the position so she didn't have the pleasure of letting me go but did turn the knife by letting me know that everyone else let go that day would be getting 4 weeks severance and I would not.)

I have my Bachelors in Sociology. Payroll has nothing to do with Soc really but I do get to work with people directly and being in a school system I might be able to move over to a position that would have more to do with it down the line.

5.  What type of schooling is required for what you do now/want to do eventually? (Master's, certification, etc?) I would love to one day become a guidance counselor but I would need to get my masters and I think a cert too and right now with my student loans I just can't afford that.

I would like to work somewhere in Disney were I could see happy kids everyday and see all the behind the scenes stuff.

friends tv show funy

I work in compliance for a major insurance company. My favorite part is that it's pretty interesting, I work with higher level people within the company, and I see room for growth in this department - also my coworkers are awesome. Least favorite part, my company is very conservative, so it is a very corporate, conservative environment. It can be kinda stuff for me.

Well, I have been with the same company since I graduated college 7 and a half years ago. I have had 3 different positions within the company. Each time I moved because I wanted to progress within the company. 
    I am just answering this in terms of jobs after college. I would say my first job with this company, I started in the entry level, customer service department. I HATE speaking with clients.

I studied psychology, and my job has nothing to do with that. I am also in grad school pursuing an MBA, but I want the concentration to be in Marketing.

For what I do now, an undergraduate degree or higher. For what I'd like to do eventually, I would think a Master's.

Psychologist or psychiatrist - I should have stuck it out and gone for my PsyD, but I wanted to start working and making money right away, so I went into the business field.P

...and tell me anything else you want to about life.  

I'd like to win the lotto, then I can just do ANYTHING I want :)
                                 Anniversary
    imageimageimage

• 1. What is your current job?  How do you feel about it?  What are your favorite and least favorite parts of it?

Currently I work for a software company doing 'cloud services' and remote administration.  

I really like what I do.  I work with hospitals and it's pretty interesting.

The company I work for is a GREAT company.  It's got a lot of the 'Google' mentality.  We can wear anything we want to work (jeans, t-shirts & flip flops are SUPER common), they have a lot of services they offer (hair cuts, manicures, massages, laundry, seamstress, child care etc).  I learn something new with my position and I work with a bunch of great people, everybody is willing to help!

Least favorite part - because all the 'benefits', we do get paid less.  They also tend to hire mostly young people, where it would be nice to have a mix of younger and older just for the experience stand point.

Professionally - after graduation:
    12 years at a large regional bank.
    Bank - Tech Support Desk (left because I wasn't learning anything)
    Bank - MS Access Database Administrator (the portion of the bank was sold so I was forced out)
    Bank - UNIX Admin (left because I had a bad manager)
    Bank - Enterprise Content Management Administrator (IT was being outsourced and we were being treated poorly)

Current position
    Software Company in the Enterprise Content Management field

3.  What was the worst job you've ever had?

When I was in college, I worked as a cashier at a grocery store.  Management hired me and then found out I was a college kid and treated me horrible because I wasn't a 'lifer'

4. What did you study in school?  Does your current job have anything to do with it?

Management Information System.  Yes, I have stayed in the technology field my whole career.

5.  What type of schooling is required for what you do now/want to do eventually? (Master's, certification, etc?)

MIS, CIS, CS -- some certifications are nice but not required.  My current position does not require any.  Through my company, I have a few of their certs that they offer to clients:  Installer and Systems Admin Healthcare - Outside my company I have my A+ cert and ITIL V3.0 Cert

6.  If you could have any job in the whole world, what would it be?

I might want to go back and do something in the medical field.  I like IT but sometimes I don't always feel my heart is in it.  I always tell FI I should have either been a baseball player or a nurse so I could wear my PJs all the time!

Anniversary

I am a licensed social worker working at a behavioral health insurance company working in the quality department - reviewing records, reviewing incidents that happen in treatment, and other random stuff.  I'm currently in a career crisis, being 38 and feeling a little stuck here.  I've been at the same company for 10 years, did different things here so it helped, but I've been doing this position for 4 years and I need new challenges.  Problem is no one outside of insurance companies pay this much to social workers so I feel stuck.  My favorite parts of my job are still dealing with the clinical issues without directly working with people (less chance for burnout as far as other positions in my field, there are no crises to deal with here), I work 4, 10 hour days, off on Wednesdays and also get to work from home on Fridays.  For the most part my managers trust me, don't try to micromanage me too much.  Dislikes - they have me being a back-up for complaints...who the hell likes dealing with complaints???  Also, just generally bored with what I do.

I've had many positions but all in the behavioral health field this is my 4th position post-graduate school (3/4 of the jobs have been at the same company, though).  I'm looking for a change now but no idea what I'd like to do or if I would want to return to school to do something different.
    Working at a group home for teen girls...I took up smoking working at that job...I'd smoke before I went to work just dreading having to go.  I wanted to make a difference but many others who worked there didn't, so it was frustrating. 
    I have a bachelors in Psychology, masters in Social Work, and yes, my job is directly related to my degrees.  Not what I imagined doing with it back when I was in school, but it is related.

5.  What type of schooling is required for what you do now/want to do eventually? (Master's, certification, etc?)  Masters in the behavioral health field

I am not 100% sure, but something creative and not sitting in a cubicle all day.  I've always fancied running a B&B, or having a gardening business.

I am a licensed social worker working at a behavioral health insurance company working in the quality department - reviewing records, reviewing incidents that happen in treatment, and other random stuff.  I'm currently in a career crisis, being 38 and feeling a little stuck here.  I've been at the same company for 10 years, did different things here so it helped, but I've been doing this position for 4 years and I need new challenges.  Problem is no one outside of insurance companies pay this much to social workers so I feel stuck.  My favorite parts of my job are still dealing with the clinical issues without directly working with people (less chance for burnout as far as other positions in my field, there are no crises to deal with here), I work 4, 10 hour days, off on Wednesdays and also get to work from home on Fridays.  For the most part my managers trust me, don't try to micromanage me too much.  Dislikes - they have me being a back-up for complaints...who the hell likes dealing with complaints???  Also, just generally bored with what I do.

I've had many positions but all in the behavioral health field this is my 4th position post-graduate school (3/4 of the jobs have been at the same company, though).  I'm looking for a change now but no idea what I'd like to do or if I would want to return to school to do something different.
    Working at a group home for teen girls...I took up smoking working at that job...I'd smoke before I went to work just dreading having to go.  I wanted to make a difference but many others who worked there didn't, so it was frustrating. 
    I have a bachelors in Psychology, masters in Social Work, and yes, my job is directly related to my degrees.  Not what I imagined doing with it back when I was in school, but it is related.

5.  What type of schooling is required for what you do now/want to do eventually? (Master's, certification, etc?)  Masters in the behavioral health field

I am not 100% sure, but something creative and not sitting in a cubicle all day.  I've always fancied running a B&B, or having a gardening business.

@pepperally you could not PAY me to work with teen girls. I work with teen boys now and thats bad enough -_-   Kudos to you for putting up with that job.
    Anniversary

• 6.  If you could have any job in the whole world, what would it be?

I might want to go back and do something in the medical field.  I like IT but sometimes I don't always feel my heart is in it.  I always tell FI I should have either been a baseball player or a nurse so I could wear my PJs all the time!

Do it! Do at least one of them! LOL, scrubs are so nice to wear, but it's a small perk when you go on nights and sleep becomes a thing of the past. ;)

This is probably a stupid question, but why baseball? Awesome sport, but I'm a little scared of it. I would always fear getting hit in the face with the ball because I'm just clumsy and always in the way like that.

• @severmilli12 - I was about to tell you I could not do home service...I had a small taste of it during an internship in grad school...yeah...gross.  I was offered a job post-grad to work with kids in their homes and my dad suggested I carry a gun with me.  Ummmm, no thanks.  And they don't pay enough for people to risk their lives and health to go into some of those homes!

I worked on an inpatient unit with adolescents for about a year.  Again, no thanks!  Lots of holes punched in walls (by the kids, not me). Total burnout!

• @CLoGreenEyes - I'm not a big fan of baseball - I stink at all sports, but their uniforms look the most like PJs of all the sports.
    Actually with my job now, if I walked in with yoga pants and a tshirt on, nobody would bat an eye... or even sweatpants..I think I could even get away with slippers and nobody would think anything of it.  I've seen others wear fuzzy PJ bottoms to work.

Anniversary
  • Dang ladies, we've got some brilliant minds & dedicated souls here! 

I oversee the certification & education department of an organization that Board-certifies veterinary specialists. I've been here for 7 years and would be lying if I said I wasn't a bit bored. Favorite part - working with our membership, traveling to sometimes cool locations for conference & being able to bring my dog to work // Least favorite - working with our membership ;)

As a post-college professional: 2 // in my lifetime: 7 (everything from retail to nanny to teacher)

I cant say it was the worst, but definitely hardest was working as a teacher at a "hands on" day treatment facility for dual diagnosed children (e.g. developmentally disabled with coexisting psychological &/or emotional disorder). It took both a physical & emotional toll on me, but I loved (most) of those kids.

Undergrad: behavior science & anthropology // Graduate: nonprofit management

My current position requires a bachelors degree, Masters preferred

I'd be a photographer. I do it as a "hobby" now with a couple of weekend sessions, but would love to make it a "for reals" gig someday. But NOT weddings. I've done 2 weddings and hated it....waaaaaayyyyy too much pressure and posting & shit.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • AuroraRose41AuroraRose41 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited April 2014
    1. What is your current job? How do you feel about it? What are your favorite and least favorite parts of it?

I am currently a Hardware Test Engineer in the wireless device industry. I basically oversee the manufacturing process of hardware, test it to look for any issues, tell designers to fix their circuit designs when issues come up (which is almost all the time), and retest until the circuits work. Once they do work, I then focus on reliability (i.e., how long will the device last when used in a cell phone or tablet?). I like that I get to work with many different people to solve these issues, and that the circuits that I work on are brand new designs, so it's always a puzzle trying to figure out where things are going wrong. Without getting too techical, the theories that I learned during college were based on very old technology, and new issues keep emerging with the newer technology.

I don't like that my schedule is variable (worked 10 hours yesterday, but there are also days where I only have 4 hours worth of work to do while waiting for designers to fix their issues so that I can move forward with my part of the project), and that the timing is all over the place because I work with people all over the world. I can't keep to a regular 9-5 schedule, so planning anything during the week is nearly impossible. I also don't like that any additional schooling in the field would not change my job much, if at all.

This is my first job out of college, so if we are counting adult jobs, then 1. In high school I worked retail for 2 summers. The summers before my freshmen and sophomore years during college I worked at an overnight Girl Scout Camp as a counselor and the Nature Program/Archery Director. The summer between my sophomore and junior year I had an engineering internship working in power distribution, and the next summer I had an internship at my current company.

However, I am currently considering becoming a Patent Attorney, as I enjoy writing and reading, and would love to be on the business side of things. I am finding that I don't enjoy the technical side of things as much as I thought I would.

3. What was the worst job you've ever had?

Definitely the retail positions. Minimum wage, not many hours, and just not fun dealing with awful customers. Even though there are parts of my current job that I do not enjoy, it is still much better then the retail jobs were.

4. What did you study in school? Does your current job have anything to do with it?

I studied Electrical Engineering, and yes, my current job has everything to do with it. Most people need a Master's degree for my position, and I was able to get in on a Bachelor's, so i was very lucky in that aspect. However, this is why I don't think getting a Master's would help me much in terms of my career.

5. What type of schooling is required for what you do now/want to do eventually? (Master's, certification, etc?)

Law school is required for what I want to do. A Bachelor's in Electrical Engineering with a focus on Microelectronics/VLSI  is required for my current position, and a Master's is preferred.

6. If you could have any job in the whole world, what would it be?

Traveling and seeing the world!

ETF: Formatting issues

• @Dignity100, gotcha. I never thought of baseball uniforms that way, I guess that's true! I always looked at the pants and thought they might be s little too tight to be super comfortable, but I've never complained when watching. ;) Your workplace sounds awesome!
  • Dignity100Dignity100 member
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited April 2014

@Dignity100, gotcha. I never thought of baseball uniforms that way, I guess that's true! I always looked at the pants and thought they might be s little too tight to be super comfortable, but I've never complained when watching. ;) Your workplace sounds awesome!
    The Cleveland Indians uniform pants don't look tight at all, I know some teams tend to have pants that are more tight -- this is Boston though but same concept:

Edit:  Silly Google - when I type Cleveland Indians and look for a picture I expect a picture of the Indians

Anniversary
    I am a manager at a company in the events industry. We handle a lot of different aspects (Registration websites/badges, lead retrieval, housing, event planning). I like it, but there are some days that it is very challenging, like today. My favorite part is helping my employees achieve their goals. My least favorite part is when my employees don't really 'get it' or make a big mistake that ticks the customer off.

Too many to count. Until 2010, I always had 2-3 jobs at a time. I worked in sports, so I made so little that I always had to work part-time at a restaurant. For a long time, I also was a sports broadcaster on the side. I have been in several industries (software, sports, church, higher education) because if I lost a job, I went and found another one. sports and the events industry are my real career though.

Well, I've had great jobs with shitty bosses, which felt like bad jobs. I have had any truly awful jobs.

I have a degree in mathematical sciences (Yay Math!) with a minor in computer science, and an MBA. In my current job, I definitely use some of computer science knowledge as well as my MBA.

I may take some certifications - PMP, etc. 

I would plan special events for a charity like NASCAR Foundation or Make A Wish.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

"You are made of win." -SopChick
    Still here and still fabulous!

• @cu97tiger - we're 5 weeks out from our annual conference ( ~ 4000 attendees) so we are in deep with your industry right now. We heart our contracted meeting & events manager BIG time!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• @Dignity100, gotcha. I never thought of baseball uniforms that way, I guess that's true! I always looked at the pants and thought they might be s little too tight to be super comfortable, but I've never complained when watching. ;) Your workplace sounds awesome!
    The Cleveland Indians uniform pants don't look tight at all, I know some teams tend to have pants that are more tight -- this is Boston though but same concept:

Edit:  Silly Google - when I type Cleveland Indians and look for a picture I expect a picture of the Indians

Ahhhhh, I see the comfy factor. Those look like very comfortable pants! I guess I always think of this dude when I think of baseball pants and always feel a mixture of enjoyment and empathy for him, because youch. I can't imagine getting anything done in them.

I just looked up the Orioles' baseball pants because now I'm illogically obsessed, and they're like midway between these two in terms of tightness.

I'm now imagining everyone reading this going like

6th grade special ed teacher in a middle school. I have been teaching for a few years, but this is my first year in my position at this middle school. I have had a great year getting along with the 6th grade content teachers and learning the ins and outs at this school. My favorite part of the job is getting to feel like a kid at times- there are loads of laughs teaching middle school. I also love all of the activities and events that we do with the kids, it's awesome. My least favorite part of the job are the deadlines and always having to be a people pleaser. You have to be the bridge between the student, teacher and parent.

I worked for GAP and a bakery during undergrad. 

I ended up hating the bakery job because it didn't pay well, even though I liked baking.

I have my undergrad degree in special education and Spanish. I have my masters in education and special education. I use all of my degrees for my job.

For what I do now: BA in secondary ed + special education and a valid certificate.

I would love to continue what I do, but I wouldn't mind being a stay at home mom if I have multiple children in the future.
  • @500dimes I found this crazy when I lived job Virginia but they don't have education degrees there. You have to major in your subject and then take additional education classes. If you're elementary ed you take interdisciplinary degrees courses and then the education courses. I like the idea of forcing teachers to know their subject matter more deeply especially for secondary teachers but I don't like that education isn't as focal of an option when you read the list of offered majors.
    I guess, to tell you the truth, I've never had much of a desire to grow facial hair. I think I've managed to play quarterback just fine without a mustache. - Peyton
  • 1. What is your current job?  How do you feel about it?  What are your favorite and least favorite parts of it? I'm a PhD student in molecular bio and genetics.  As I am in my last semester, I am absolutely miserable and can't wait to be done.  My favorite part is that I have a really exciting topic and I'm getting to do pre-clinical trials for human disease.  My least favorite part is that grad students make next to no money and have no benefits.

2. How many different jobs have you had? If you've changed directions a few times, why?  I went right from undergrad to grad school so I haven't had any career-type jobs.  I used to work as a pharmacy tech during summer breaks in undergrad.

3.  What was the worst job you've ever had? I worked at Dairy Queen in high school and the owner never came in but he would watch us from his house via webfeed.

4. What did you study in school?  Does your current job have anything to do with it? I have dual bachelors degrees in biochemistry and philosophy.  My area of focus is different but it's still a life science.

5.  What type of schooling is required for what you do now/want to do eventually? (Master's, certification, etc?) I'm applying for jobs as a scientific writer/journalist, most of which require a PhD.  Almost there!

6.  If you could have any job in the whole world, what would it be? I would love to eventually have an editorial position for a high-impact journal in my field like Nature Neuroscience or Brain Research.
  • 1. What is your current job? How do you feel about it? What are your favorite and least favorite parts of it? 
    My current job is a Resourcing Analyst and I really like it. I started it in December 2013 so I've only been at it for about 6 months but the only thing so far I've found I dislike about it are the people who won't take the time to learn the software and then expect me to fix all their mistakes...basically laziness on their part. My favorite part about it is that I enjoy it and I have a really great boss even though she talks too much.

This is only my 2nd job since I've graduated college. My first job I was a recruiter and it was a really tough business to recruit for. My boss was an ass and extremely sexist. I worked there for a year and a half before I quit and found this job. Recruiting is more sales in my opinion which is not for me anyways.

The recruiting job that I got right after school.

4. What did you study in school? Does your current job have anything to do with it? 
    I studied Biology and I wanted to go into Med School originally but I didn't have enough money to pursue that so then I was thinking about working my way up to work with the CDC. It's extremely hard to get a job with their hub in Atlanta so I didn't want to waste my time since I was about to graduate. So no my current job has nothing to do with my degree.

5. What type of schooling is required for what you do now/want to do eventually? (Master's, certification, etc?) 
    With my job you are required to have a Bachelor's degree and proficiency with Excel. To advance within my position you don't need to acquire anymore schooling or certifications really. Eventually I plan to either stay with my company for as long as I can since I love my job or when H and I decide to have children then our plan is for me to stay at home.

I think it would be awesome to work for a non-profit organization that benefits one of my favorite charities. I like working towards a greater cause.
  • 1. What is your current job? How do you feel about it? What are your favorite and least favorite parts of it? I do compliance for a major bank/financial firm, I enjoy it for the most part, it's a new process for the whole firm so it's cool to be on a new initiative but also it means things can change quickly or there are times when it can be vague

2 different jobs within the company I now work for.  I have had two different career paths pre-MBA and post MBA

I worked at Chuck E Cheese in high school
    I have an acting undergrad degree and an MBA with a focus on international business. the MBA I consider to be the most useful now
    I mostly needed certain licenses within the financial industry series 7, 66, 9 & 10 which I have and I have my cfp designation

Dancer on Broadyway

Anniversary

I'm a nurse on a Med-Surg/Oncology unit.  It is high stress and many days are filled with anxiety.  I often feel like a 'bad' nurse.  I think this is due in part to the fact that the powers that be and nurses themselves place unrealistic expectations on the profession.  Sometimes I feel like we're expected to sacrifice our personal lives on the altar of nursing.  That said, I LOVE interacting with my patients and teaching them about health and disease and I really enjoy working with nursing students.  I don't like all the extra red-tape admin stuff I have to do in a day that takes away from patient care.  And I hate having to work weekends and holidays :(

I've had tons of different jobs.  Mostly 'cause I didn't know what I wanted to be when I grew up and I needed to pay the bills in the meantime.  I've worked retail, done commercial cleaning, pizza delivery driver, groundskeeping at an airport, tutor, supervisor of an academic assistance program, home health aide, patient care attendant, and now nursing.

Retail by far.  People can be so incredibly rude when you work behind a counter.  I hated it and it made me super bitter.  I don't really have to deal with that now.  I'd say I have a good relationships with at least 95% of the patients I've had.  There are only one or two that have ever been outright rude to me, but it just rolls off my back now.  I think because I know they're not feeling good, or they're scared and I just chalk it up to that rather than taking it personally.

I first got a BS in Exercise Science, then and MS in Community Nutrition and Health Promotion, then my BSN (nursing) and now I'm working on my Masters in Nursing.

There are several different levels of schooling, but the minimum for being an RN is an Associates Degree.  You used to be able to get a diploma, but I think that's been phased out.

Ideally?  Win the lotto and be a professional student.  Realistically, I'd like to split my time between teaching nursing and doing patient education.  I'm getting closer... graduate with my MSN in December 2015, maybe even earlier if things work out!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards