Wedding Invitations & Paper

Ceremony Programs Post-Elopement

Hi! My husband and I got married in a civil ceremony at the courthouse, but we are still having a wedding with our friends and family. We recently told our families that we are legally married, so we want to make sure that we word our programs correctly so that it celebrates our marriage. Any advice on how to phrase the ceremony programs? We know roughly what we want to include in the ceremony, but we don't want it to seem like we're trying to hide that we are already married. Thanks!

Re: Ceremony Programs Post-Elopement

• tortoisebridetortoisebride member
    5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited April 2014
    I'm new here but I've already learned that one thing is guaranteed to get a bad reaction: having a wedding ceremony when you're already married. It looks like you're trying to avoid that impression, but I'd suggest maybe nixing the ceremony aspect & vows, and aim for something more like making an opportunity to publicly thank your friends & family for their support, and to acknowledge your joy in joining your two families. You could still do a unity ceremony with the parents if that's your cup of tea, but I'd avoid actual "I do's." Unless you do "I did's." 

ETA: Oh yeah, and forget the ceremony program. Make sure it's 100% clear on your invitations that you've already gotten legally married. Like, "Mr. & Mrs. Lastname(-Lastname) invite you to celebrate their recent marriage" or something.
    This is me reading threads on TK
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • If you are already married, you cannot have another wedding.  

What you can have is a party to celebrate your recent marriage.  Invitations could read something along the lines of.......

Please join Mr. and Mrs. lmcable
    for a celebration of their recent marriage
    Saturday, May XX, 2014
    at.........

Host a fabulous party and enjoy your celebration.
  • lmcable22 said:

Hi! My husband and I got married in a civil ceremony at the courthouse, but we are still having a wedding with our friends and family. We recently told our families that we are legally married, so we want to make sure that we word our programs correctly so that it celebrates our marriage. Any advice on how to phrase the ceremony programs? We know roughly what we want to include in the ceremony, but we don't want it to seem like we're trying to hide that we are already married. Thanks!

Yeah if you're already married, there's no need for a ceremony, thus no need for a program. If your families want to celebrate with you, awesome... but you shouldn't recreate the ceremony as if it's a pageant. Enjoy your party though!

• CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited April 2014
    You only get one wedding, and you have had yours.  If you insist on a needless ceremony, what you are having is a vow renewal, not a wedding.  You are not a bride.  That ship has sailed.
    Here is an excellent website for planning a vow renewal.  Notice that vow renewals are not second weddings, and the etiquette is different.

http://www.idotaketwo.com/vow_renewal_etiquette.html

You should consider having a nice celebration party without the unnecessary ceremony.  Take the words "wedding" and "bride" out of your vocabulary.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Good news!  You don't need programs because you don't need a ceremony because you are already married.  Congrats!  Just through a big party to celebrate your recent marriage with all your family and friends.

• Congrats! Have you considered using the phrase "Celebration of Marriage" on the program? Is the ceremony you're planning religious in nature? I've been married once before and we had programs. They introduced the wedding party to the guests as well as gave a brief outline of what the service would entail. You could do something similar, depending on what, if any, differences you may have in your ceremony versus any other run-of-the-mill wedding ceremony.  If there are subtle differences, use language that people are still familiar with, such as "Renewal of Vows" instead of "Vow Exchange" and so on. 
  • CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited April 2014
    Mr. and Mrs. John Already Married
    request the pleasure of your company (honour of your presence)
    as they reaffirm their marriage vows
    Date
    time
    Venue
    Address
    City, State

Reception to follow

Vow renewals are NOT second weddings.  The etiquette is different. 
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • CMGragain said:

Mr. and Mrs. John Already Married
    request the pleasure of your company (honour of your presence)
    as they reaffirm their marriage vows
    Date
    time
    Venue
    Address
    City, State

Reception to follow

Vow renewals are NOT second weddings.  The etiquette is different. 

That wording may be appropriate for her invitations, but she asked about programs.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards