Pre-wedding Parties

Engagement Party??

My finace' and I got engaged in December this past year and want to have an engagement party, problem is... When?? We booked our wedding for December of 2016. All of the information I have found about hosting an engagement party says
2-4 months after the engagement itself. Is it crazy to think it would make more sense to have it a little closer to the wedding say in the fall of 2015? Or should I just go ahead and plan a party now for the summer and get it done and out of the way? Any help will be great. Thanks

Re: Engagement Party??

•             You don't throw your own engagement party. If no one offers to host one, you don't get one.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • My fiance's sister keeps begging me to let her throw one and I keep pushing the idea away. The second I say okay, its a done deal.
  • My finace' and I got engaged in December this past year and want to have an engagement party, problem is... When?? We booked our wedding for December of 2016. All of the information I have found about hosting an engagement party says
    2-4 months after the engagement itself. Is it crazy to think it would make more sense to have it a little closer to the wedding say in the fall of 2015? Or should I just go ahead and plan a party now for the summer and get it done and out of the way? Any help will be great. Thanks

My fiance's sister keeps begging me to let her throw one and I keep pushing the idea away. The second I say okay, its a done deal.
    Why would you keep turning her down if you want an engagement party?

Anniversary
  • I'd agree. If she has offered, go for it. There are plenty of people who have longer engagements, so I think drawing it out would be weird.
  • It's a party meant to celebrate having become engaged, not to celebrate being x-months away from the wedding. If she's offering now, let her host it now. 

• Planning a party to "get it out of the way" does not sound like much fun.  Is this something that you want or something you feel obligated to do?  If you really want the party, let your future sister-in-law throw the party and enjoy.  If you really do not want the party, thank her but tell her you'd rather not, and enjoy your engagement.  If you've ever read any of my posts in the past, you will see that I am not a big "rules" person.  I believe that life is short and we all have hard times.  When a joyous occasion presents itself, people need to relax and share the joy in their own comfort zone.
  • AddieCakeAddieCake member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited April 2014
    It makes no sense to postpone the party. If you want one, and someone is offering to throw you one, why are you not moving ahead with it? Having it closer to the wedding is silly. It's an engagement party. It should happen around the time you get engaged, not nearly a year later.  

What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Yeah, I wouldn't wait to long to have an engagement party if you would like to have one. What I did was we had engagement announcements done and sent out. Literally days after the engagement itself. We got engaged on a Wednesday night the pictures/announcements were done that Saturday they were sent out Monday so everything went pretty quick. We also decided we didn't want to have a big party just a small quiet dinner with close family and friends. That is not what it turned out to be though, lots of people showed up we had an amazing dinner and people did bring gifts and the whole 9 yards which was not at all what we wanted to happen but it did anyways and of course I am so happy and thankful it did happen the way it did. I just if I were you DO NOT WAIT. You are celebrating your engagement, you don't want to wait to long otherwise it will be old news.
  • just make sure if you do the engagement party anybody invited MUST be invited to the wedding. So if you have no idea what your guest list will be like, make sure FSIL has limitations on who gets invited.  If you don't know yet just say "thanks but no thanks." 

Anniversary
  • My fiance and I got engaged at the end of March 2014. We are getting married October 2015. My parents are throwing us an engagement party September 2014. I would have liked to do it closer to our actual engagement, but with my fiance's schedule he wouldn't have been able to get a day off of work until September so we went with that.

When our close friends got engaged last February, we threw them an engagement party that April and it worked out nicely!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards