Not Engaged Yet
Options

I want to be irritated with my SO, but its hard...

I drive a Chevy Cobalt. One that is encompassed by the ignition switch recall (short version, the spring for the ignition switch may or may not be strong enough to keep the key in the run position when driving. Therefore, the car may turn off and lose power to stuff like airbags and power steering.) My SO wanted me to take it to the dealer to get a rental car. I didn't want to. I've had the car for 7 years and never once had a single issue. I got tired of discussing this with him, so I finally just gave in and took it to the dealer yesterday and got a rental car.

This whole process was irritating, just all around. Additionally, I'll be in the rental car for around, read at least, 30 days. I like my car. It's mine. I know how to drive it. I know it. Having a rental car is, for me, like being in a hotel room. I can never get completely comfortable. I don't want to put my stuff in it for fear that I'll forget it. It was his insistence that caused me to have a rental car. I really really want to be irritated at him, but he was concerned about my safety, which I find really sweet. 

I can't do it, I can't be irritated at him, but I want to be.

Re: I want to be irritated with my SO, but its hard...

• Options

That's a pretty serious recall. I get recalls once and a while for dumb stuff, like "oh, the glove compartment might fly open, fix that" and will wait until I have to get an oil change to fix it. It's usually a waste of a Saturday afternoon waiting for it, but if Honda's paying, I'm not going to complain!

Something like an ignition switch is major, and yes it sucks that you have to be in a rental, but I wouldn't want someone's car just stalling on the highway! Not only is it not safe for you, but for other people.

FI does things like that too, where I want to be mad at him, but I just can't be.

Rental cars are lame sometimes (I did get an awesome Jeep Wrangler once that I didn't want to give back once though!)

Wedding Countdown Ticker

image 59 Invited
    image 36 Yes
    image 2 No
    image 21 Unknown
  • Options
    I don't see why you'd even want to be irritated about that.  big safety issues > being comfortable in a car for 30 days or so.  and just because it hasn't happened in 7 years doesn't mean that it won't happen tomorrow, or next week, or in a year and a half.
  • Options
    I'm not irritated about getting it fixed. I agree its a big safety thing. I'm just irritated about the process and the fact it will take 30 days and I wanted to take that irritation out on my SO, but I couldn't because he was just looking out for me. This morning I told him that he was absolutely right in pushing the issue and I was sorry for getting snippy with him yesterday. I was just being stubborn and a little delusional in thinking just because it hasn't happened in 7 years doesn't mean it won't happen at all (as @CocoBellaF pointed out).

This is actually the second recall my car has had (that I can think of). Both have been fairly serious. The first was for the power steering pump, something about it would just randomly stop working.

I am not in a cool car. I'm in a Ford Focus. (That was not meant to offend anyone who drives a Ford Focus. I think they are practical, not cool). They wanted to put me in a Surburban, but I was trying to think of where I would/could park it when I went to work. I just couldn't see it happening.
  • Options
    I have a car affected by the same recall. It definitely is a pretty serious one, but if you've been driving with just the key and no additional rings, keys, or chains, that seems like the best way to keep safe. You're right, it is super-sweet that he cares about your safety, and maybe this is one of those things where if you CAN get a rental car, it's not a bad idea to do so. Just think, it'll be over soon and you'll have your baby back! (If they ever send the parts to the dealers, it feels like it's been FOREVER since they announced it.)
  • Options
    I'm not irritated about getting it fixed. I agree its a big safety thing. I'm just irritated about the process and the fact it will take 30 days and I wanted to take that irritation out on my SO, but I couldn't because he was just looking out for me. This morning I told him that he was absolutely right in pushing the issue and I was sorry for getting snippy with him yesterday. I was just being stubborn and a little delusional in thinking just because it hasn't happened in 7 years doesn't mean it won't happen at all (as @CocoBellaF pointed out).

This is actually the second recall my car has had (that I can think of). Both have been fairly serious. The first was for the power steering pump, something about it would just randomly stop working.

I am not in a cool car. I'm in a Ford Focus. (That was not meant to offend anyone who drives a Ford Focus. I think they are practical, not cool). They wanted to put me in a Surburban, but I was trying to think of where I would/could park it when I went to work. I just couldn't see it happening.
    I get this.  that would irritate me, too.
  • Options
    I am also part of this recall. I am not happy either. I was also part of the power steering pump recall and that cluster took two garages, a dealership, and a week and a half to sort out.

I have a call into my dealership about this. Ironically, my ignition switch tends to lock in place and I have to manually release my keys, which sucks.
    Anniversary

I'm gonna go with 'not my circus, not my monkeys.'
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards