Massachusetts-Boston

Question For Camp Kiwanee Brides

My fiancee and I are 90% sure we are going to Camp Kiwanee in Hanson.

Question for past/present brides - what did you opt for catering and did you do full service (china rentals, servers etc) or did you opt for something more casual (bbq with paper plates) and if you went more casual, what were your thoughts? Fiancee and I both are drawn to the more casual option but are trying to weigh the overall guest experience and don't know if having guests throw out their own plates etc is TOO casual. Thoughts?

Re: Question For Camp Kiwanee Brides

• My fiance and I are getting married there in September. we decided to go with Go-Go's catering. They are very familiar with the facility which is what we wanted. We realized because it's not an extremely fancy place, casual was the way to go. But not too casual! We're going with a buffet style meal and faux china plates/silverware ($300 price difference) as opposed to real china. I even had them remove the linen napkins from the order because it seemed too fancy for a buffet style meal. They'll have about 3-4 staff/servers which should be plently. Hope this helps! 

Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_massachusetts-boston_question-for-camp-kiwanee-brides?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:89Discussion:848b51f0-0e62-4cd4-b52e-a3355cfd4710Post:27484a43-5b1d-4ea2-be72-3ae52f3978fc">Question For Camp Kiwanee Brides</a>:
    [QUOTE]My fiancee and I are 90% sure we are going to Camp Kiwanee in Hanson. Question for past/present brides - what did you opt for catering and did you do full service (china rentals, servers etc) or did you opt for something more casual (bbq with paper plates) and if you went more casual, what were your thoughts? Fiancee and I both are drawn to the more casual option but are trying to weigh the overall guest experience and don't know if having guests throw out their own plates etc is TOO casual. Thoughts?
    Posted by peeperpeep[/QUOTE]
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_massachusetts-boston_question-for-camp-kiwanee-brides?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:89Discussion:848b51f0-0e62-4cd4-b52e-a3355cfd4710Post:af6613e8-0158-40ea-8388-e8e5840d15f6">Re: Question For Camp Kiwanee Brides</a>:<div>
    </div><div>My daughter just had her wedding at Camp Kiwanee last week.  She opted to do a BBQ buffet from Blue Ribbon BBQ - delicious!  People went for seconds, and how many wedding meals do you know where guest rave about the food?  The site was lovely, yet rustic, she purchased disposible BAMBOO plates and flatware that looked very nice...we actually purchased the glassware and linens (couldn't deal with paper & plastic - I know the camp's rustic but it IS a wedding!) and will resell on Craigslist as it was cheaper than renting, although more work for us.</div><div>
    </div><div>She also contracted with a service company Simply Serving and I cannot say enough about them.  They completely set up the reception room, passed appetizers, served the buffet, then cleaned- washed,-repacked the glassware and all other supplies and loaded everything into my new son-in-law's truck!  We made sure to have a service company so we could actually enjoy the reception and I highly recommend Simply Serving!!</div><div>
    </div><div>Just an FYI - if you are having alcohol you must obtain a 24 hr liquor license from the Town of Hanson (Jim at Camp Kiwanee with explain this.)  and you MUST let your guests know that if they are staying at the camp - as many of our younger guests were, extending this into a weekend-long event - that they absolutely cannot go back to their cabins for their own alcoholic beverages, they must use the bar in the reception lodge for the duration of the wedding!  This is a big issue for the camp if people do not follow this rule.</div><div>
    </div><div>Great experience overall, in a lovely setting.  This is more of a DIY wedding site than many brides (and mob's) may want to tackle-creates a situation with many vendors to coordinate-here were ours</div><div>
    </div><div>Camp Kiwanee - wedding/reception venue</div><div>Officiant</div><div>Caterer - Blue Ribbon BBQ - dinner</div><div>Service - Simply Serviing</div><div>Caterer - appetizers</div><div>Bakery - cake/cupcakes & setup</div><div>Photographer - Jamie Ivins (he's EXCELLENT!)</div><div>DJ </div><div>Photo Booth</div><div>Florist</div><div>Bar/bartenders</div><div>
    </div><div>It was memorable and just what my daughter and her new husband wanted...it felt much more personal than traditional wedding venues (which we came to describe as the Wedding Industrial Complex ):  )</div><div>
    </div><div>By the way - try the Monponsett Inn down the road in Halifax for your rehersal dinner.  They also serve a great brunch on Sunday mornings.  Our family got together for brunch the morning following the wedding before everyone headed home.</div><div>
    </div><div>Hope this info helps...good luck!</div><div>
    </div><div>
    </div><div>
    [QUOTE]My fiance and I are getting married there in September. we decided to go with Go-Go's catering. They are very familiar with the facility which is what we wanted. We realized because it's not an extremely fancy place, casual was the way to go. But not too casual! We're going with a buffet style meal and faux china plates/silverware ($300 price difference) as opposed to real china. I even had them remove the linen napkins from the order because it seemed too fancy for a buffet style meal. They'll have about 3-4 staff/servers which should be plently. Hope this helps!  Response to Question For Camp Kiwanee Brides :
    Posted by ElleSTAR84[/QUOTE]

</div>
  • I'm getting married at Camp Kiwanee next Fall and am currently looking for a Full Service Caterer.  My Fiance and I are very casual people which is one of the reasons we loved the Venue so much but we also felt doing something more formal would be nice for the wedding.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_massachusetts-boston_question-for-camp-kiwanee-brides?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:89Discussion:848b51f0-0e62-4cd4-b52e-a3355cfd4710Post:27484a43-5b1d-4ea2-be72-3ae52f3978fc">Question For Camp Kiwanee Brides</a>:
    [QUOTE]My fiancee and I are 90% sure we are going to Camp Kiwanee in Hanson. Question for past/present brides - what did you opt for catering and did you do full service (china rentals, servers etc) or did you opt for something more casual (bbq with paper plates) and if you went more casual, what were your thoughts? Fiancee and I both are drawn to the more casual option but are trying to weigh the overall guest experience and don't know if having guests throw out their own plates etc is TOO casual. Thoughts?
    Posted by peeperpeep[/QUOTE]

<div>My fiancee and are are having our wedding there next July.  We are in the EXACT same boat!  It was/still is a major choice we have to make.   He and I love food and really wanted a great food experience.  We interviewed Above the clouds catering (on Kiwanees list) and if you don't have a budget they are great.  Other then that I was so sad with all the time and emails discussing our budget and what we wanted they ended up making a menu that was amazing and way way way out of the budget we discuss.  They still had awesome looking food...but we couldn't  go with them, to much $$ and not much for listening to your needs :( We also want a more casual approach, but no throw away dishes lol.  Right now we are looking at bbq style with rental for dishes.  What is nice about renting is that they take it all away for you.  I feel like I had to choose a less expensive caterer to make sure we had silverware and place setting.  This was important to us since we are camping the weekend and I think out guest would like a "real meal" that does not have plastic forks.  I wish you luck!  This is a tough decision!</div>
  • I know this post is old but we are about to possibly book kiwanee and are wondering the same thing about catering. What caterers did you end up going with and where did you rent the dishes? Can you give me a ballpark per head price including all the food and rentals? Where did you buy all of the dishes and glassware and were you able to sell it? Thanks!
  • We are getting married there next year and are meeting with a caterer next week. We are thinking about going with dinner & company. I read great reviews and the price is about $30 pp and includes linens, napkins, plates, silverware, servers.
  • @raunlu I actually booked them a few weeks ago! Loved the tasting. When is your wedding? Ours is aug 30
  • Ours is July 12, 2014. We had our tasting Friday and booked them the same day. The food was very good. And I liked that he has already catered weddings there.
  • kjm424kjm424 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    I know this is an older post, but was wondering if either of you who booked Dinner and  Company know if there are any substitutions for table linen color??  Also, who are you using for DJ??  And what's the deal with liquor?  Do you provide your own and hire service?  Thinking of using Camp Kiwanee for a Summer 2016 wedding.  
  • RaunluRaunlu member
    First Comment
    I think you can choose from white or ivory tablecloths and then whatever color napkins you want. I'm not sure if they have any other color tablecloths to choose from but you could always call and ask. Chef Barry is very nice. There is a company you need to use for the alcohol. You can pay to upgrade the glassware but you don't pay for their service. If you go there they will provide you the contact info for the bartender.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards