Snarky Brides

dear god why.

What in the world is wrong with people? I went on Facebook this morning only to find that an engaged acquaintance created a Facebook event INSTEAD OF SENDING OUT INVITATIONS. My brain hurts from that level of tacky. Have any of you seen this? 
Also she just has all of her wedding info just on there. Anyone could just show up then, right? Ughhh.

Re: dear god why.

• Of course its public! And oh my, those are awful!
    I'm thinking I should join the event and see what happens.
  • Here's another one for her, non-facebook related but a good indication that yes, people will totally crash weddings.
    This is me reading threads on TK
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • ElcaBElcaB member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    Facebook invitations to formal events are very bad indeed. 
  • That's pretty bad. FI and I have a friend who shared her wedding "app" on facebook...then sent the exact same thing in a private group message to her entire facebook friend list the very next day. I was like, "seriously?!! It's bad enough I've seen this thing once!"

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• That's how I found out about my brother getting married and how I got invited, crack-book.
  • I did a Facebook event page for my wedding.  But, it is a PRIVATE page, so only people that me or FI invite to it can see the page.  And we only invited people to join the page that we sent formal wedding invites to.  The main reason I did it was because it is a destination wedding for 100% of the guests, and nearly all the guests are on Facebook regularly, so it was a good way to quickly communication information to everyone (hotel details, events, directions, parking, etc.).  It has also been useful for contacting people that didn't return RSVP's (60% of my guest list). For any really important information, we also are sending out additional mailings (we plan to do one a few weeks before wedding with last minute details), to make sure that everyone knows everything.

But, there is definitely a right and a wrong way to do it. Making a public page is definitely the wrong way. And anytime you do digital communications, it does reduce formality of the event.  But, doing ONLY facebook invite is horribly tacky and wrong.

• There was an problem when a friend of mine posted on FB an event. She didn't make the group private so people assumed it was invite yourself. She got pissed when People she didn't like were posting they were attending and didn't understand why people were pissed off with her after she had to go through and say "sorry you were invited in the first place" after she deleted their RSVP. 

It just opens up cans of worm when you post that without expecting repercussions. 

Live fast, die young. Bad Girls do it well. Suki Zuki.

• AlexisA01 said:
    There was an problem when a friend of mine posted on FB an event. She didn't make the group private so people assumed it was invite yourself. She got pissed when People she didn't like were posting they were attending and didn't understand why people were pissed off with her after she had to go through and say "sorry you were invited in the first place" after she deleted their RSVP. 

It just opens up cans of worm when you post that without expecting repercussions. 
    Ugggh.
  • Seriously, it drives me nuts to see others' wedding stuff all over Facebook! That's definitely just asking for trouble! It's also asking for a lot of people to assume they're invited to the wedding, even if the couple hadn't planned to invite them. Somewhat related to this issue, I have a couple other Facebook friends who are also engaged and one posted the link to her wedding website for everyone to see and encouraged everyone to check it out. I'm sure she really didn't think it through that all of the details were there and there was a place for people to RSVP to the wedding on the site. Personally, I just think it's a bad idea to mix Facebook and social media unless everyone who's viewing the stuff is invited or else there's potential to be a lot of drama. -end rant-
  • Yes! It drives me crazy as well.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards