Chit Chat

Dress Shopping :)

I booked my first dress shopping appointment for June 21st, yay!!! I'm sooo excited :D I also have no idea what to expect. I will be going with my 4 Bridesmaids, and the appointment is for 11:15. I know the type of dress I'd like, I'm printing a bunch of pics to bring with me, and I'm open to trying all styles, even the ones I don't think I would like. 

I was considering booking 2 appointments on that day, (the bridal shops would be walking distance) but would that be too much? I don't want to bore and tire out my friends. Afterwards we are just going to hang out and have a girls day and do brunch and drinks :)

I actually already know the dress that I want, but the store that carries it is far. And I have no idea that I would love it once I try it on, obviously, so I am going to try a few dresses locally, and take it from there. Are there any tips that you guys can recommend?
                             Anniversary
imageimageimage

Re: Dress Shopping :)

• Definitely be open to all options.  When I tried on dresses, I had one particular dress in mind that I LOVED and was sure I would love it on me. When I actually put it on...I didn't care for it much and I ended up going with a completely different dress.

I personally would not book 2 appointments in one day.  I was very tired and hot after trying on dresses, and I think I only tried on like 6. I couldn't imagine having another appointment after that. I was ready for lunch by the end of my appointment!! Have fun!!!

Anniversary

• How fun! I went to two different places in one day (lunch in between). I only tried on 4 or 5 dresses at the first place and then 2 at the second place, so it wasn't too overwhelming for me. But it can be an overwhelming process so definitely go based on your comfort level. My girls and I had a blast when we went shopping- they just got to hang out and drink champagne. They loved it! Enjoy!!
    imageimage">
  • Thanks guys! I hate trying stuff on when I go shopping (although I can't wait to try dresses on!) so maybe more than one appointment might be enough for me. I think I'll plan for 1 appointment for that day and see how it goes after. I am planning on going the next day as well, this time with my mom and FMIL (and if any of the girls feel like joining), so that may be a way to break up the appointments that weekend.
                                 Anniversary
    imageimageimage

• It should be fine as long as you space the appointments so you aren't rushing.  That sounds like a fun girls' day!

I'm planning two places in one day with my mom and sister.  We're going to RK when they open at 11:00 (they don't take appointments), then lunch, then Kleinfeld at 4:00.  I might also try to get to the AA flagship store in Cherry Hill sometime that week as well, while my mom is here for graduation.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

• JCBride2014 - I made my appointment for Kleinfeld! I'm super excited :) I made the appointment for 11:15. I guess if I space it out it won't be so bad. Maybe Kleinfeld, brunch, then another appointment? I'll ask the girls what they want to do, because knowing us we might have too many mimosa's at brunch lol.
                                 Anniversary
    imageimageimage

• pinkcow13 said:
    JCBride2014 - I made my appointment for Kleinfeld! I'm super excited :) I made the appointment for 11:15. I guess if I space it out it won't be so bad. Maybe Kleinfeld, brunch, then another appointment? I'll ask the girls what they want to do, because knowing us we might have too many mimosa's at brunch lol.
    Hahaha the struggle is real.

We'll have to swap notes since we're shopping around the same time.  :)  I'm so excited.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• pinkcow13 said:
    JCBride2014 - I made my appointment for Kleinfeld! I'm super excited :) I made the appointment for 11:15. I guess if I space it out it won't be so bad. Maybe Kleinfeld, brunch, then another appointment? I'll ask the girls what they want to do, because knowing us we might have too many mimosa's at brunch lol.

We'll have to swap notes since we're shopping around the same time.  :)  I'm so excited.
    Yes, definitely! I plan on taking tons of pics, too :) 
                                 Anniversary
    imageimageimage

• My BFF lived in another state when we went dress shopping for her.  Since we all had to drive 5 hours to get where she lived for dress shopping, we did 3 appointments in one day (two at regular bridal shops, one at a bridal warehouse).  We did 2 appointments before lunch, had lunch, then the third appointment.  That was the first time she tried on dresses, and she bought her dress that day.  It was a long day, but it was incredibly fun.  I think 2 appointments would definitely be doable, especially if you break them up with brunch/lunch.
  • pinkcow13 said:
    pinkcow13 said:

Yes, definitely! I plan on taking tons of pics, too :) 
    Kleinfeld has a pretty strict no-pics policy, I think. :-/
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• phiraphira member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    My advice for wedding dress shopping is to treat it like regular shopping.

First of all, there is SO MUCH PRESSURE when you're shopping for your wedding dress that even if you usually like shopping, it can be really unpleasant and stressful to go wedding dress shopping. There are so many narratives about it, like "it's the most important dress of your life," or, "it has to be absolutely perfect," or, "you will cry when you put it on," or, "it's like finding the perfect person to marry," etc. I recommend ignoring a lot of that stuff. Ignoring the narratives, or at least not paying a lot of attention to them, makes it easier to shop because there's less pressure.

Second of all, (I assume) you know what looks good on you and what you like. You know whether or not you prefer strapless or straps. You know how you feel about lace. You know which silhouettes you like best. And if you're not sure, you know to ask, or to try lots of different styles on. Yes, it's your wedding dress ... but if you shop mostly like it's a regular dress, you're less likely to walk out with a dress that isn't something you'd normally wear.

This is, obviously, MY experience, and I am not you (I promise), so this might not really work for you. But I found it was so much easier to find a dress after I got the whole Say Yes to the Dress experience out of my head and shopped like I would for anything else.
    Anniversary
    now with ~* INCREASED SASSINESS *~
  • phira - good point. I'm definitely going to ignore all the narratives that come along with it. I really don't expect to cry (I'm not much of a "cryer"). And I think I will avoid SYTTD in the weeks before the appointment!
    JCBride2014 - Seriously?? That really sucks. Isn't there a dressing room that you change in alone? Because I need to take pics. I'm so indecisive, so I'll need to have pics of myself in dresses. I'll have to sneak in pics one way or another!
                                 Anniversary
    imageimageimage

• phira said:
    My advice for wedding dress shopping is to treat it like regular shopping.

First of all, there is SO MUCH PRESSURE when you're shopping for your wedding dress that even if you usually like shopping, it can be really unpleasant and stressful to go wedding dress shopping. There are so many narratives about it, like "it's the most important dress of your life," or, "it has to be absolutely perfect," or, "you will cry when you put it on," or, "it's like finding the perfect person to marry," etc. I recommend ignoring a lot of that stuff. Ignoring the narratives, or at least not paying a lot of attention to them, makes it easier to shop because there's less pressure.

Second of all, (I assume) you know what looks good on you and what you like. You know whether or not you prefer strapless or straps. You know how you feel about lace. You know which silhouettes you like best. And if you're not sure, you know to ask, or to try lots of different styles on. Yes, it's your wedding dress ... but if you shop mostly like it's a regular dress, you're less likely to walk out with a dress that isn't something you'd normally wear.

This is, obviously, MY experience, and I am not you (I promise), so this might not really work for you. But I found it was so much easier to find a dress after I got the whole Say Yes to the Dress experience out of my head and shopped like I would for anything else.
    This, a million times. I did not cry when I said yes to my dress. We didn't have a group hug. But when I had my dress on I couldn't stop looking at it in the mirror and I didn't want to take it off, so that's how I knew it was the one.
    Anniversary

• pinkcow13 said:
    phira - good point. I'm definitely going to ignore all the narratives that come along with it. I really don't expect to cry (I'm not much of a "cryer"). And I think I will avoid SYTTD in the weeks before the appointment!
    JCBride2014 - Seriously?? That really sucks. Isn't there a dressing room that you change in alone? Because I need to take pics. I'm so indecisive, so I'll need to have pics of myself in dresses. I'll have to sneak in pics one way or another!
    Yeah, I find it sort of obnoxious.  I have no idea if they'd leave you alone with a dress or not in the fitting room.  I remember it from SYTTD, and their website FAQ says the same.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• SBminiSBmini member
    5 Love Its First Comment First Anniversary Name Dropper
    I booked three appointments in one day (oh the challenges of doing everything while out of state!) but ended up canceling the last one when my second appointment went long and I found my dress. If you do this, definitely leave yourself ample time! I had one appointment at 10 or 11 and the second one at 2. Third one was supposed to be at 4:30. I fed my girls all three meals that day. Breakfast, a quick lunch between appointments, then the last meal was a cheat because it was a birthday dinner for my sister.

My advice to you is to have fun! Try on some dresses you wouldn't normally consider. Don't waste anyone's time, but this is your one chance to try on wedding dresses- so if you see something that you like (that isn't out of budget in case you fall in love with it) try it on, even if it isn't the style you are going for. I wish I tried on a few more dresses that weren't me. At the very least, it would have helped solidify that the dress I chose was the right one.

And be careful when your friends get the SYTTD moment. My mom and sister cried at a dress I just kind of liked and I almost caved and bought it because of their reaction. They weren't nearly as thrilled at the dress I chose, but I loved it, so I didn't care.
  • I was going to say holy crap why did you book it a month and a half in advance, I booked mine like a week before. But then I saw you're going to Kleinfeld so that's probably pretty standard for an appointment there. I also was not a crier and since my mom lives out of state I only had one bridesmaid with me and we basically high fived when I found the one. There was no grand hugging and fireworks lol.

The pictures thing is the dumbest thing I've ever heard...I would do it anyways and if they said anything I'd demand to see the manager and then say "What are you going to do- ban me from spending lots of money in your store?! Yea, I didn't think so".

• pinkcow13 said:
    phira - good point. I'm definitely going to ignore all the narratives that come along with it. I really don't expect to cry (I'm not much of a "cryer"). And I think I will avoid SYTTD in the weeks before the appointment!
    Yeah, I find it sort of obnoxious.  I have no idea if they'd leave you alone with a dress or not in the fitting room.  I remember it from SYTTD, and their website FAQ says the same.

jenna8984, Yep that's exactly why I booked it today. As it was, the 11:00 slot was already filled! If I decide to go on another appointment that same day, I'll wait to book the next place closer to the date. 
    SBmini - My MOH already gave me the heads up that she's going to cry when she sees me in a dress lol. 
                                 Anniversary
    imageimageimage

• pinkcow13 said:

SITB

OMG I love it. You and your friends sound like a blast. Actually, they sound like my friends lol.

imageimage">
  • I would definitely break it up with brunch if you do two appointments. You can talk over what you liked and didn't like, and get your mind right before the next appt. And, because mimosas. 

Have mimosas after, too.

And before.

• P.S. I always hated SATC but Kristen Davis is gorgeous and fabulous. lol

• pinkcow13 said:

SITB

OMG I love it. You and your friends sound like a blast. Actually, they sound like my friends lol.

lolo883 - you read my mind, I was definitely thinking of having some mimosas before lol! That's a good idea to break it up and discuss the likes and dislikes. and I'm sure trying on dresses on after mimosas will be fun ;)
                                 Anniversary
    imageimageimage

• I think two dress appointments should be fine with a break or meal in between.  I had an appointment scheduled at Kleinfeld's but cancelled since I found my dress a bit more locally.  There was a dress I drooled over for quite awhile called the salon made an appointment they had t have a sample of the dress I loved sent from AZ, sure enough it was "the dress" I went to the later on appointment that day with my mom who insisted I still have fun trying on stuff.  Once you find the one go for it, it will only make trying on other dresses exhausting.

Anniversary

• jenna8984 said:
    P.S. I always hated SATC but Kristen Davis is gorgeous and fabulous. lol
    I LOVE the show! Yes, she is definitely gorgeous and fabulous, and my favorite :) 
                                 Anniversary
    imageimageimage

• doeydodoeydo member
    No, you do not change alone.  A consultant helps you in and out of the dresses.  On an episode of SYTTD, a bride wanted to take pictures of the dresses and the consultant informed her of the no picture policy due to the fact that they have so many great designers and they don't want people knocking them off or something.  The consultant then left the room to get more dresses, and the bride locked to door and presumably took pictures of the dresses anyways.
  • SBminiSBmini member
    5 Love Its First Comment First Anniversary Name Dropper
    I don't know how anyone could buy a dress without a photo! I ended up having pictures taken of the top dresses, then we went through the photos and used them to help us pick the one! 
  • I wouldn't go with an entourage.  Daughter and I did very well together.  I can't imagine being able to concentrate on anything with four girls giving their opinions.  The dress DD chose was very different from the one she thought she wanted, and she was very stressed about it.  What decided her was when a little boy wandered in, saw her, and flopped on the floor with his mouth open!  He stared at her in astonishment.  She was already taken with the dress, but that reaction decided her.  We had to have cheesecake before it was final, but the image of the little boy on the floor stayed in her mind.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • doeydodoeydo member
    I agree with CMGragain, the less people the better, usually.  I will only be bringing my mom.
  • SmileDamnitSmileDamnit member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited May 2014
    FUN! (…the mimosa brunch AND the dress shopping)

No words of advice - I found my dress in the first shop I went to & only took my sister (though we skyped in my Ma on the shop's IPad) so it was a painless process. And I just happened to get a call from the shop this afternoon that my dress has arrived!!! I might maybe have let out a big ol' squuuuee :) It wasn't do to arrive for another couple weeks so it was a pleasant surprise. Yay for dresses!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • KGold80KGold80 member
    First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    I didn't have that "oh em gee this is the dress" moment and I didn't cry, but I loved the way it looked and felt. It was effortless. I got a little misty eyed the second time I put it on, but the first time I was all business.

I hope you find the right dress....quickly and that you have a blast in the process!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• CMGragain said:
    I wouldn't go with an entourage.  Daughter and I did very well together.  I can't imagine being able to concentrate on anything with four girls giving their opinions.  The dress DD chose was very different from the one she thought she wanted, and she was very stressed about it.  What decided her was when a little boy wandered in, saw her, and flopped on the floor with his mouth open!  He stared at her in astonishment.  She was already taken with the dress, but that reaction decided her.  We had to have cheesecake before it was final, but the image of the little boy on the floor stayed in her mind.
    To be honest,  I would much rather go alone. I prefer to shop by myself. But, I know that my friends really want to go (my MOH wanted to try on wedding gowns before we were engaged!  And my college roomie specifically mentioned dress shopping), so I will definitely invite them. Like I said, I know what dress I want - of course it doesn't mean that is the dress I will end up with. I'm open to all dresses! And I know my mom and FMIL want to go (they invited themselves), so I will go and have fun with everyone. If I find the dream dress, so be it. It was meant to be! After these appointments though, I am going to try to hunt down my "dream" dress on my own.

My friends have never been bridesmaids, so they are super excited right now, and want to do all the wedding stuff. I am my moms only kid, and FMIL only has FI, so they are also excited for the dress part. I figure I can invite them to my dress shopping. That's why I split up the groups though, more than 4 is too much for me.
                                 Anniversary
    imageimageimage

• Kleinfeld's isn't the only place with a no pics policy. I think it's because they don't want you taking pics of your dress, then using it to find the exact same dress online or at a cheaper place. You could do that with the designer & style number anyway but this has always been my guess.
    This is me reading threads on TK
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards