Wedding Invitations & Paper

How did you choose to list your names?

Curious how everybody listed their names on their invites. Full name? Middle initial? No middle name? Legal first name vs social?

I only go by my legal first name for major life events, so I'll probably suck it up and list it that way. FI dislikes his middle name and I think would prefer not to publicize it.

Re: How did you choose to list your names?

• CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited April 2014
    This depends on the format of your invitation.  Who is hosting your wedding?

It isn't proper to use an initial on a formal invitation.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • We are paying for everything and live on our own. Parents are local. I'm guessing technically we would be the hosts.
  • The pleasure of your company is requested
    at the marriage of
    Bride's First Middle Last
    and
    Groom's First Last
    Day, date
    time o'clock
    Venue
    Address
    City, State

It isn't proper to use initials on a invitation, but it is permissible to omit the middle name.  Neither my DH nor I use our legal names socially, but we used them on our wedding invitation, and we will use them on our gravestones.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • FI and I are hosting, and listed our first and last names only, no middles. It was purely a spacing issue though; FI's full name wouldn't fit on one line with the format of our invitations. 

• I used my social name on our invite (H's real name is what he goes by socially).  I never go by my legal name and some people that I know still don't know that what I go by isn't my legal name.

I also omitted middle names.

• emmyg65emmyg65 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    We did:

Together with their families,
    Bridefirst Last
    and
    Groomfirst Last
    invite you to their wedding

It was a casual wedding and a casual invitation.
  • We used our legal first names and our middle and last names on our invites. I go by my name and FI goes by a nickname, but it was clear who he was; i.e. William goes by Bill. 
  • I used my FI's nickname because that's what he preferred. Like @tammym1001's FI, his nickname is a very obvious shorter version of his legal name. My nickname isn't as "normal" and I don't use it at work or anything like that so I used my legal name.

The invitations I loved and ended up using only had first names on the template so I left it like that - no middle or last names, even. 
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • vmj23vmj23 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer

We did

Together with our families

Bride FIRST LAST

Groom FIRST LAST

• Mr. and Mrs. Father Surname
    request the honour of your presence
    at the wedding of their daughter,
    HisGirl Middle
    to
    DH Fullfirst Surname

blah blah blah

DH goes by a shortened version of his name (think 'Matt' instead of 'Matthew'), but used the full version on our invites.

He is also a 'junior' and given his issues with his father, did not want to advertise that relationship, so his middle name and the 'Jr.' were left off of everything except our legal marriage licence.
    Anniversary

I'm gonna go with 'not my circus, not my monkeys.'
  • I do not use my middle name except on legal documents (it's a family name and does not "go" with my English first or last name at all). FI uses his middle name, but since there was no way in hell I was putting it on our invitations, he didn't want to use his either. We did, however, use our full first and last names instead of the shortened versions of our names that we use socially.
    ~*~*~*~*~

• I don't have a middle name, so we're trying to figure out spacing.  I know that technically it doesn't matter, but it bugs me that FI will have three names to my one.  Someone suggested using my confirmation name, have you ever heard of that being done?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I don't have a middle name, so we're trying to figure out spacing.  I know that technically it doesn't matter, but it bugs me that FI will have three names to my one.  Someone suggested using my confirmation name, have you ever heard of that being done?
    I have Catholic friends who have done that, yes. 

Actually, my Catholic friends who did that used ALL of their names -- First, Middle, Confirmation, Last -- so it read:

Elizabeth Anne Magdalene Seton 
    and 
    Joseph Patrick Aloysius Donnelly

But it still looked fine. And if you want to use your confirmation name, why not?
    Anniversary

I'm gonna go with 'not my circus, not my monkeys.'
    I have Catholic friends who have done that, yes. 

Actually, my Catholic friends who did that used ALL of their names -- First, Middle, Confirmation, Last -- so it read:

Elizabeth Anne Magdalene Seton 
    and 
    Joseph Patrick Aloysius Donnelly

But it still looked fine. And if you want to use your confirmation name, why not?
    My college roommate always talked about naming her future son Aloysius.  She's now married and discussing getting pregnant and I really, really hopes she does it because that name rocks.
  • My dad is Title First Last.

In laws are FIL First Last Title (thankfully our lovely printer caught that all of us had forgotten FIL title, FIL included - best benefit of b&m invitations yet!)

River Valkyrie Caranide (my first middles)

DF First Middle

The dreaded semi formal wedding here ;D. Using the traditional wording on a less formal invite. They are lovely and so us. Plus the thank you cards - bought a thousand literally. I will use that many in a few years and they make me happy. Gentleman Owl saluting his wing to his steampunk top hat. DF drew him, Mr Owl is going to join Figment and K-9 on my calf, Figment has a space helmet next to him and K-9 is snuggled up under Figment's head. Mr Owl will perch on Figment's tail.
  • I used my social name on our invite (H's real name is what he goes by socially).  I never go by my legal name and some people that I know still don't know that what I go by isn't my legal name.

I have a friend like that. I received the invite to their wedding and was like "who the hell is Benjamin?"

That being said, it's not entirely the same, but my fiancé is William but goes by Bill. We put William on the invites and anything formal, but Bill on the save the date, the wedding website, it will go on the photostrips, etc.
    Anniversary
  • ashleyep said:
    I used my social name on our invite (H's real name is what he goes by socially).  I never go by my legal name and some people that I know still don't know that what I go by isn't my legal name.

I have a friend like that. I received the invite to their wedding and was like "who the hell is Benjamin?"

That being said, it's not entirely the same, but my fiancé is William but goes by Bill. We put William on the invites and anything formal, but Bill on the save the date, the wedding website, it will go on the photostrips, etc.
    We did the same.

• FI is still trying to decide if she wants to be Sophie or Sophia on our invites. We are using middle names because I love my middle name and very rarely get to use it.

On our save the dates we did Sophie, but she likes the way Sophia sounds with her middle name. I told her it's up to her because I don't think anyone is going to look at the invite and go "who the fuck is Sophia?", even if everyone calls her Sophie. Also, I'm not sure I've ever typed her name so many times before.

We aren't putting our parents on the invite, as they aren't the hosts. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards