Snarky Brides
Options

Burlap + Lace = Vomit

Re: Burlap + Lace = Vomit

• Options
    Any trend makes me vomit after a year.
    A friend of mine had a beautiful wedding on a Tennessee plantation that included vintage items, cute signs, lawn games, and yes, mason jars.  This was a couple years ago now--- it was awesome then, overdone and gag inducing now. 

hahahaha.... im VERY glad i stumbled onto this thread. i was headed straight for an outdated burlap and lace disaster, im afraid!! all thanks to a great idea my step mom had.... after reading all these comments, our wedding will no longer include mason jars wrapped in burlap and lace. now i'm thinking, some jars, some vases, some tall some short, some in color, some with ribbon, some with candles in them... we have no theme and we're going for rustic casual.

anyone have any suggetions that won't result in the worst "so last year" reception ever? LOL

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    aefitz29 said:
    kitty8403 said:
    I agree with the earlier comment on "fauxhemian" decor and attire -- here, we call it "Big and Rich Cowboy." I live in the country. I am marrying a real-life former cowboy (rodeo, rodeo school, ranch hand, great with horses). We are having our reception in a purpose-built events "barn." I'm STILL sick of mason jars and burlap, sunflowers, hay bale seating, camo, and cowboy cutouts. This is a wedding, damn it! But I agree that decorating for these venues is tough--traditional decor tends to look silly.
    awwwwwww maaaaaaan I love sunflowers...the rest I agree with.

The FI gave me a bouquet of sunflowers before we started dating so they are completely sentimental to me.

Must confess -- ulterior motive there. I'm deathly allergic so I can't wait for that trend to go away.  :-)
  • Options
    KRD2014 said:

Any trend makes me vomit after a year.
    A friend of mine had a beautiful wedding on a Tennessee plantation that included vintage items, cute signs, lawn games, and yes, mason jars.  This was a couple years ago now--- it was awesome then, overdone and gag inducing now. 

hahahaha.... im VERY glad i stumbled onto this thread. i was headed straight for an outdated burlap and lace disaster, im afraid!! all thanks to a great idea my step mom had.... after reading all these comments, our wedding will no longer include mason jars wrapped in burlap and lace. now i'm thinking, some jars, some vases, some tall some short, some in color, some with ribbon, some with candles in them... we have no theme and we're going for rustic casual.

anyone have any suggetions that won't result in the worst "so last year" reception ever? LOL

I think that as long as you "do you" and not a "theme" you'll avoid anything outdated. For rustic, I see plain vases (not jars) with wildflowers. Or flower pots with wildflowers. Earth tone or natural colored dresses and ribbons. Simple. But, I tend to have simple tastes and anything obviously as part of a theme is ehhh. Maybe one outight nod to rustic, like burn-engraved wood place "cards" would be cool. :)

• Options
    I'm reading this post/the comments and find myself laughing... because that's exactly what I'm having! Lol mason jars, bottles of various shape and size, burlap, baby's breath, my dress will be lace, and bridesmaids will be in blush. I myself am sick of seeing bridal parties in cowgirl boots. But as you can see I'm utilizing an "over-done" theme so who am I to judge? :p I guess at the end of the day every woman is entitled to decorate her wedding as she wishes.. even if that means I'm one of the brides soon to be making a lot of you vomit! Lol happy planning, ladies! :)
  • Options
    I'm sure that as long as it's not actually a "Theme" it will be fine. I find that when things are themed, people tend to go crazy making EVERYTHING matchy matchy and it just becomes way too much.

We definitely have some of the overdone "rustic" elements in ours, except that we're not using mason jars as the glass. Our flowers look like they are from those sorts of weddings though, because i like more of a wildflower look. Plus we have wine barrels since it's at a winery. But we aren't having any burlap.
    I'm sure burlap can be fine as long as it's an accent. It's when people use it for every single fabric choice there is that it gets overplayed. But that's any fabric choice! Same with the mason jars. I think they can be cute, but not every single piece of glassware needs to be mason jars.
  • Options
    mbmj1112 said:
    I'm reading this post/the comments and find myself laughing... because that's exactly what I'm having! Lol mason jars, bottles of various shape and size, burlap, baby's breath, my dress will be lace, and bridesmaids will be in blush. I myself am sick of seeing bridal parties in cowgirl boots. But as you can see I'm utilizing an "over-done" theme so who am I to judge? :p I guess at the end of the day every woman is entitled to decorate her wedding as she wishes.. even if that means I'm one of the brides soon to be making a lot of you vomit! Lol happy planning, ladies! :)

So glad you have a positive attitude! So many women here takes things so personally! I'm sure you will enjoy every part of your special day!
  • Options
    My mom and I were talking about how in 15 years, our kids are going to look at our weddings and be like WTF because the "rustic" stuff will scream 2010s just like poofy sleeves and white tuxes scream 80s. 

Also, I think the new big "trend" is going to be the Gatsby wedding. 
  • Options

My mom and I were talking about how in 15 years, our kids are going to look at our weddings and be like WTF because the "rustic" stuff will scream 2010s just like poofy sleeves and white tuxes scream 80s. 

Also, I think the new big "trend" is going to be the Gatsby wedding. 
    Hahaha soooo true.
    Unfortunately ours is rusting looking and I apparently picked the on trend with that flowers. But we are not having typewriters, striped paper straws, mason jars galore, burlap/lace, or suitcases or tables of random crap from the thrift store made into a Sandra Lee "TableScape" thing.
    We're doing the vintage car ride [I had no idea this was a *thing* until I looked up photos.. and realized EVERYONE is doing this now], the winery wedding outside under oak trees with string lights. So already it's hipsterfied enough without us even trying. Thank goodness we did not pick a "theme"
    and and the best part is, our favorite colors teal and yellow are apparently both somehow trendy now too.
    I guess at least it's easy to find stuff on those colors..but still!
  • Options
    I agree this has been WAYYYYYY to overdone now, burlap is everywhere, do they not realize they used to use it for potato sacks????? It's like a combination of tacky and elegant vomited together... no thank you, no offense to anyone who is doing this but its definitely not for me!
  • Options
    I've read this entire thread, and it still doesn't make me hate my burlap/lace decor.  Why? Because my "theme", if there must be one, is Family.   I'm having my wedding on the family farm, during the family camping weekend, serving food that makes me think of family, and topping it off with the traditional rodeo that weekend.  Sounds AWESOME to me!

Oh, and my wedding planner didn't understand why I didn't want mason jars to drink out of with everyone's nametag on it.  Because they're not being assigned seats, and we don't drink out of mason jars.  Sit together at the picnic tables as a family and enjoy passing around the food and beer!  I'm having a few mason jars, but not everywhere!  Tiki torches, sunflowers (always been my favorite), an old 1970s truck like my grandpa used to drive.  I want my decor to look like we pulled it out of my grandma's house and decorated with wildflowers from the fields.  It may be "2010" because it's "rustic" but we're casual, and rustic, and I just care that all my family will be there to celebrate.
  • Options
    I realise that there's nothing new under the sun but why on earth do people have to replicate other people's events so faithfully that there's not a shred or originality left? Or even a shred of individuality? If you want a country style wedding then have one but for goodness sake stop getting your thematic metaphors horribly mixed! 

All this "sacking for tablecloths" business doesn't say "rustic" to me. It says "Great Depression" which I rather doubt is the intended impression especially since very few of these rustic weddings capture the real picture...

As for "vintage" I could write a dissertation on just how much this gets up my nose. But I'll save it for another day...
  • Options
    Imo rustic weddings were once a really nice theme for couples who genuinely like country-inspired gatherings and venues. Now all I've been seeing is copious amounts of "rustic" weddings in non-country settings with urbanites who have never been outside of downtown cities, and it just bugs me to no end (I know of one former classmate who can't even stand to get a little mud on her shoes and is having a "rustic barnyard wedding"... at the Marriott hotel! Ummm...hello?!?)

As for burlap, I can handle small doses, but I've seen burlap tablecloths and all I can think of is "anyone up for a potato sack race???"
  • Options
    wrigleyvillewrigleyville member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited April 2014
    I am so sick of this stupid sign.

Oh, and even better... they misspelled "families".
  • Options

I am so sick of this stupid sign.

Oh, and even better... they misspelled "families".
    I saw one on pinterest that said "This wedding has two brides, so pick a seat, not a side."  I don't understand what having two brides has to do with picking a side.
  • Options
    FI and I were at Walmart earlier and ran across brightly colored and chevroned burlap. WTF??
    ~*~*~*~*~

• Options
    KGold80KGold80 member
    First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper

FI and I were at Walmart earlier and ran across brightly colored and chevroned burlap. WTF??

Well, it was Walmart....
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    KGold80 said:
    Well, it was Walmart....
    True, but if it's at Walmart, I fully expect that it's in other places as well. I live in an upper-class suburb and that particular Walmart is in a... umm... less desirable community not too far away. We're nowhere near hipsters or rural areas, so I'm not sure we're the target demographic for that particular product! I can't imagine Muffy VanOldMoney throwing a Pinterest wedding....
    ~*~*~*~*~

• Options
    Ugh I may get flamed for this but I totally do not understand the "Gatsby" or "Vintage" weddings...I really really REALLY don't
    If someone has a Gatsby themed wedding I assume they didn't actually read the book - it's not exactly a happy love story.
    As a fellow Beth, I agree with this wholeheartedly. I love 20's style, and I LOOOOOVE art deco/art nouveau design, but CHIIIIILLLLLD I am not about a Gatsby anything, dude was crazy as hell and all of the book characters were basically awful people. NAW.
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• Options
    Ohhhhhh I bet so many Pinners would DIE FOR THAT BURLAP
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Mr. Bean Flipping the Bird
  • Options
    I LOVE burlap and lace and think it's a real nice looking combination...actually I think overly fancy weddings are a sham...they aren't for the bride but more for showing off...a good country wedding with lots of burlap,lace pearls etc. is very cool...and candy bars are a cool way to add a twist to a favor...in any case each bride should have her own wedding without others looking down on her choices...after all it's her day.
  • Options
    dgotfrey said:
    I LOVE burlap and lace and think it's a real nice looking combination...actually I think overly fancy weddings are a sham...they aren't for the bride but more for showing off...a good country wedding with lots of burlap,lace pearls etc. is very cool...and candy bars are a cool way to add a twist to a favor...in any case each bride should have her own wedding without others looking down on her choices...after all it's her day.
    I love how you say fancy weddings are a sham and showing off and in the same paragraph say that people shouldn't look down on a bride's choices. That's exactly what you're doing! I think the general feeling of burlap and lace is that it's just over done and they really are materials that weren't meant to go together. My hatred of burlap is purely because of how awful, rough, and itchy it feels.
  • Options
    dgotfrey said:
    Seriously? So people who have "fancy" weddings are all insincere and false, because they obviously have inferior feelings and are only posturing for their audience. Holy crap. Who knew that decorating preference was a reflection of sincerity? I've read many absurd statements on the Knot, but this is in the top five. That's 99% stupid, 1% ill thought. 0% logic. I grade this statement F. 
  • Options
    We're doing the burlap and lace this in really small doses (those mason jar centerpieces and maybe one of those signs, but that's it), because we're getting married in a forest we go hiking in. It just kind of fits together. Plus it's cheap and easy.

And, I mean, I live in Maine. Rustic is what we do here. 
  • Options
    beethery said:
    Ugh I may get flamed for this but I totally do not understand the "Gatsby" or "Vintage" weddings...I really really REALLY don't
    If someone has a Gatsby themed wedding I assume they didn't actually read the book - it's not exactly a happy love story.
    As a fellow Beth, I agree with this wholeheartedly. I love 20's style, and I LOOOOOVE art deco/art nouveau design, but CHIIIIILLLLLD I am not about a Gatsby anything, dude was crazy as hell and all of the book characters were basically awful people. NAW.
    The Great Gatsby has been my favorite book since high school, and it KILLS me that Gatsby-themed everything is so 'in' right now.  Talk about missing the point.  I judge anyone who says they want a Gatsby wedding, because I automatically assume that means they A- haven't read the book, or B- read it and didn't understand what it was about at all.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    Ooh, this thread is hilarious. The trend that annoys me is the wedding hashtag thing. One of my sorority sisters got married a few months ago, and she put her wedding hashtag on EVERYTHING she posted on social media. Nobody else seemed to use the hashtag; it just seemed a bit self absorbed.

Also, I don't get the whole proposing to your bridal party. I find it ironic since the groom usually proposes, and you don't see guys doing that shit with their groomsmen.
  • Options
    I don't really think any of this matters. Trends will come and go. The important thing is that the bride and groom are happy. If it's not your wedding why worry about it? Shouldn't you just be happy for the couple? I enjoy a classic look but I wouldn't complain about another brides preferences because it is her right to have ideas, thoughts, and opinions of her own. 
  • Options
    I don't really think any of this matters. Trends will come and go. The important thing is that the bride and groom are happy. If it's not your wedding why worry about it? Shouldn't you just be happy for the couple? I enjoy a classic look but I wouldn't complain about another brides preferences because it is her right to have ideas, thoughts, and opinions of her own. 
    This is the Snarky Brides board. Welcome.
    *********************************************************************************

• Options
    This is the Snarky Brides board. Welcome.
    And this post is also 7 months old. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards