Wedding Cakes & Food Forum
Options

Is this a normal time for a tasting?

So I got an email from our venue about scheduling our tasting (the caterer is through the venue).  The coordinator said tastings are done Mondays, Wednesdays, or Thursdays and start from 1:00 pm and as late as 3:00 pm. 

I was surprised that there was no option for a tasting later in the day.  All of those times mean my FI and I have to take off work.  He commutes to work in a town an hour away, and does not have that much time off since he hasn't been there that long.  He will have to take a half day off just to attend.  

I understand why there wouldn't be time over a weekend, but nothing 5 or after during the week seems odd to me.  So...is this normal?  Just wondering.

Re: Is this a normal time for a tasting?

• Options
    Mine was similar.  It depends on the venue, I'm sure...  

DH couldn't attend the tasting so I did it alone and took the extra home so he could try it.
    photo composite_14153800476219.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    I'm going at lunchtime on Sunday. Our venue coordinator (golf club) works weekends but not evenings. Seemed logical to me.

ETA: idk where your venue is, but it sounds like they don't want to take away from normal (dinner?) business to handle tastings. Are you paying, or is it a courtesy?

• Options
    Ok thanks all.  I was just thrown a bit by the timing.  I have 2 other friends getting married this year (one was Saturday and the other is in September, both at different hotels) and they both had their tastings on a weekend.  Obviously, FI and I will work with whatever they can do.

@lolo883 I am in central IL, and the venue is a hotel in town.  They don't have an on site restaurant even though the caterer is through them.  In my area, there are virtually 0 evening events during the week because the town and surrounding area just isn't large enough to support sufficient demand.  That's part of why I was surprised at the time frame.  The tasting is included in the price of the venue.
  • Options
    Ok thanks all.  I was just thrown a bit by the timing.  I have 2 other friends getting married this year (one was Saturday and the other is in September, both at different hotels) and they both had their tastings on a weekend.  Obviously, FI and I will work with whatever they can do.

@lolo883 I am in central IL, and the venue is a hotel in town.  They don't have an on site restaurant even though the caterer is through them.  In my area, there are virtually 0 evening events during the week because the town and surrounding area just isn't large enough to support sufficient demand.  That's part of why I was surprised at the time frame.  The tasting is included in the price of the venue.
    That makes sense then - if they're not normally working in the evening, they don't want to put in overtime for you to come for a free tasting. Unfortunate, but makes sense.

• Options
    @lolo883:  That does make sense!  That is actually a very good reason, and I don't know how I didn't think of it.  I feel a bit bad now.  I did just get an email from them, and they are going to do a tasting for us at 5:00 one day, so I am even more grateful that they worked with us than before.  Thanks for your help!
  • Options
    Mine was a Wednesday after noon from 1pm - 3pm as well, and yea, I had to take a day off from work, but my office is pretty flexible so I just went in on the following Saturday for a few hours to make sure I was all caught up. My venue is pretty booked on weekends, and it also has a restaurant that is open only for dinner 7 days a week, so I guess it made sense that they wanted to have it not during business hours... :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards