Wedding Ceremony & Reception Music Discussions

Anyone ever just hook up an iPod?

I'm having an intimate vow renewal, about 60 people. There will be a reception with dancing. I'm wondering if a DJ is even necessary, it seems kind of much. What about putting $100 into some new music and hooking up my already well built iPod library and a friend to play the important songs? Is that just too lame? There won't be a first dance or any father daughter dances since it is a renewal. Just fun and dancing.
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Anyone ever just hook up an iPod?

• doeydodoeydo member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    I would not ask a guest to be in charge of the iPod.  But an iPod wedding is perfectly fine.  Just make a playlist and hit play.
  • We're having about the same size guest list and decided to forego the DJ. It's a traditional wedding but we're not doing a lot of the trappings of a wedding, like bouquet/garter toss, spotlight dances, grand entrance, etc so I didn't see the need to spend the money. Luckily our venue is going to be in charge of switching the playlists for the different sections of the evening (ceremony, cocktail hour, dancing after dinner) but in your case it sounds like you could just make one master playlist and hit play on the ipod. IIRC @emmyg65 used an iPod at her wedding as well and could give you some tips.
  • emmyg65emmyg65 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    You called? :)

Yep, we did an iPod (actually Spotify on a laptop, but same difference). We created a playlist that started with our first dance song, so we didn't need to have anyone man it. It does take a lot of time to create a playlist that has good flow, but it's fun. Be sure to use crossfade between your songs to make more professional sounding transitions. If your venue doesn't have a sound system, you'll need to rent professional speakers to make sure the music is loud enough. Any party rental place should have them.

If you want more resources, there are a ton of sample playlists on A Practical Wedding and Offbeat Bride. You can also find some by googling "iPod wedding."
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards