Attire & Accessories Forum
Options

Cleaning fake pearls

My grandmother passed away 2 years ago. When she died, the only piece of her jewelry my uncle let me have was a pearl necklace my grandfather had given her. It is very important to me. Unfortunately, one of the strands broke when I was trying on gowns. Luckily, my bridesmaids who were with me were able to recover all the pearls. I took it in to a local jeweler to have re-strung. The lady gave me a nasty look and said "You know these aren't real, right?" Well, no, I didn't. But why does that matter? They were my grandmothers, and likely all my grandfather could afford at the time. And because they're both passed, I want to wear them.
Because of jeweler lady's bad attitude, I don't want to take them back there to have them cleaned. Because they're so old, they're a little dull. Reading online makes me scared to try to clean them myself, as they may dissolve in regular jewelry cleaner. Any ideas on how to clean them?
Thank you, in advance!

Re: Cleaning fake pearls

• Options
    What do you mean when you say fake pearls? Are the cultured pearls or the painted glass bead type pearls?

If they're cultured pearls you'll want to use a soft lint-free cloth (I like microfiber) and gently rub the pearls. Then, wear them as much as you can - they'll absorb the oil from your skin and regain some of their luster. If you don't have a lot of time you can always hold them in your (clean, lotion free) hands while doing things like watching tv in the evenings. Make sure you store them in a velvet or silk bag (you can also let them lay on their cleaning cloth). You want to store them so that they're lying flat, not hung up.

If they're the painted glass bead version you want to use luke warm water, some soap flakes (I like plain ivory soap), and an infant toothbrush (its for baby's gums).Let the pearl strand soak for a minute or then use the toothbrush to gently brush the surface of the pearls. After you've done the whole strand rinse in luke warm water and pat dry with a soft cloth, then leave them lying flat to finish drying.

I use to work in jewelry so I hope this helps!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards