Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum

Mother/Daugher Dance?

So I want to do a mother/daughter dance at the reception instead of father/daughter, since I don't really have a father figure in my life. (This idea isn't weird, is it?) But, I'm totally stuck on what song to pick! My mom and I really love Bon Jovi but I can't really think of a song from them that would be fitting. Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Mother/Daugher Dance?

• emmyg65emmyg65 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    My mom and I danced to "Groove Is In the Heart," by Deee-lite, because it's one of her favorite songs ever. It wasn't a spotlight dance though. 

• I love the idea of a mom/daughter dance, my FI's cousin had her mom give her away as well as dance with her. I don't know if you like country music at all, but Carrie Underwood's "Mama's Song" is a really nice song that isn't super duper mushy.

• doeydodoeydo member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    I might have a mother/daughter dance, too.  I don't think it is weird at all; two women can dance together or two men can dance together just like a man and woman can dance together.  Some song ideas:  Mama's Song by Carrie Underwood, Every Mother's Dream by Martina McBride, I'm Blessed to Call You Mother by Molly Pasutti, To Be a Woman by Laura Marling, Like My Mother Does by Lauren Alaina, The Best Day by Taylor Swift, A Song for Mamma by Boyz II Men, or I'll Be by Reba McEntire.
  • gogracegograce member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    I'm also having my mother walk me down the aisle and do a mother-daughter dance. I'm estranged from my father and my mother's second husband only came into the picture within the last year (but he's super awesome and he's a great stepdad). We'll be dancing to Good Charlotte's "Thank You, Mom," but Ben's Fold's "Gracie" was also on the list of possibilities since my name is Grace. :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I am going to do a mother/daughter dance to Carrie Underwood's Mama's Song. I don't think it is weird, and if anyone does - who cares?!?!?!
  • I don't think mother/daughter dances are weird. I think they're neat. But I don't know what song I'd dance to with my mother.
  • My mom and I will be doing a mother/daughter dance to Forever Young, the Joan Baez version because she loves that song.
  • If she likes Bon Jovi, what about "Sweet Child of Mine"?
  • If she likes Bon Jovi, what about "Sweet Child of Mine"?
    I think that's a Guns 'N Roses song.
  • Jen4948 said:
    If she likes Bon Jovi, what about "Sweet Child of Mine"?
    I think that's a Guns 'N Roses song.
    juuuuuuuuuuuust kidding.  I get my 80s rock bands confused.  Ooops.
  • I just posted about this as well and noticed this thread AFTER I asked for ideas. Thanks ladies. @schramm2407 Good luck deciding. I thought the idea was a little weird to begin with, but I'm liking it more and more. It's making my mom feel special so that's an added bonus! :)

• My dream was to have father/daughter dance, but my dad passed away. It was going to be "I loved her first" by heartland - it's a slow song and works for a mother/daughter dance.

Currently looking at potentially "Time After Time" by Cyndi Lauper
  • My FI and I are both doing dances with our mothers. He and I were both raised by our single mothers so we didn't feel that one was worthy of more thanks than the other. I know for a fact I'm dancing to Brown Eyed Girl by Van Morrison. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards