Destination Weddings Discussions

Sound-off: Familymoon

Hey Knotties!

Is anyone going on a "familymoon" - honeymoon with family members - or is planning on taking a familymoon? Tell us what you think of the idea! 

Re: Sound-off: Familymoon

• yes, since we are getting married in mexico my family will be staying the week with us. we are planning on going on excursions together, but i still want some alone time with my new husband!
  • We are planning a wedding in Jamaica along with 22 friends and family. We think it's a great way to spend time with our loved ones and celebrate for 7 days straight. We decided to stay three extra days after our guests leave for our alone time. 
  • We will be.  We are getting married in Hawaii so we will spend a good amount of time with guests.  There are people coming from all over the world and many we haven't seen in a while. We are looking forward to it.
    Plus, we have a toddler, so we will be with her.  
  • We are getting married in Mexico this December, and will have family and friends staying at the resort with us. We have several activities and excursions planned, but also plenty of private time for the two of us. It will be so much fun!
  •     We are getting married at Disneyland and will spend a few days in the parks with our families after! We've been wanting to do a family trip for some time so we used our wedding as the excuse,

• Yes, we are flying back to Ireland to get married so we plan to stay there for 2 weeks and spend time with everyone! We can take a delayed honeymoon another time :)
  • Sounds good if none of your family members gets on your nerves.lol

PROS: If you go with family, it should lower cost. Also, there's more people to hang out with

CONS: Some family members might have a different idea of fun or eating/drinking than you.
  • I stayed with my hubby after my family left Jamaica as well and my entire wedding and honeymoon was perfect. Great choice!
  • Hello all, I know that this is just a general board but I am hoping some of these brides-to-be can help me. I am trying to plan a DW also and I am at my wits end and I have nowhere else to turn. My fiancé and I are trying to plan a destination wedding on a very tight budget. I have spent endless hours researching all-inclusive resorts in multiple countries. We have about 15 people that would like to come along (they will paying their own way) and our budget is around $3,000.00. This includes hotel, flight and wedding costs. I have found many resorts that work for us and our friends and family in regards to our budget only to be slapped in the face by the fact that these resorts charge extra for a wedding ceremony. The cost is usually anywhere from $1500-2800 on top of the room and flight. I am just looking for a simple ceremony on the beach where our closest family and friends can watch and then we can all go to one of the restaurants for a nice dinner. There has got to be at least one all-inclusive resort out there that offers a complimentary wedding. We need to be at $3000.00 but the maximum amount of money we can spend is 4 Grand. If anyone has had a DW and can help guide me in the right direction, I would greatly appreciate it. I am at the point where I don’t even want to get married. I am maxed out and looking for a miracle. Thank you for any help you may offer!

• RLShep86 said:

Hello all, I know that this is just a general board but I am hoping some of these brides-to-be can help me. I am trying to plan a DW also and I am at my wits end and I have nowhere else to turn. My fiancé and I are trying to plan a destination wedding on a very tight budget. I have spent endless hours researching all-inclusive resorts in multiple countries. We have about 15 people that would like to come along (they will paying their own way) and our budget is around $3,000.00. This includes hotel, flight and wedding costs. I have found many resorts that work for us and our friends and family in regards to our budget only to be slapped in the face by the fact that these resorts charge extra for a wedding ceremony. The cost is usually anywhere from $1500-2800 on top of the room and flight. I am just looking for a simple ceremony on the beach where our closest family and friends can watch and then we can all go to one of the restaurants for a nice dinner. There has got to be at least one all-inclusive resort out there that offers a complimentary wedding. We need to be at $3000.00 but the maximum amount of money we can spend is 4 Grand. If anyone has had a DW and can help guide me in the right direction, I would greatly appreciate it. I am at the point where I don’t even want to get married. I am maxed out and looking for a miracle. Thank you for any help you may offer!

We are having our wedding at Dreams Resort in Puerto Aventuras, Mexico. It's near Cancún, but less expensive. The resort offers a simple wedding package for free if you have 5 rooms booked with your group for 3 or more nights. It's only for 10 guests, so you'd have to pay extra for the other 5, but it should be well worth it. My fiancé and I were able to get our plane tickets for around $1000 total, and we got a group rate on the rooms that brought it to $117/person/night. Our wedding is in December, and so far everything has been fantastic as far as planning goes, no complaints! Hope this helps, good luck! Here is the website: http://www.dreamsresorts.com/puerto-aventuras/weddings
  • RLShep86 - We are in the exact SAME predicament!! My fiancé and I just moved to the Florida keys so we are changing our wedding to a destination down here in the keys for the family and celebrate on NYE. We can't pay for additional housing at a resort for our families so we are trying to be creative with our limited $4,000 budget. Luckily, there are tons of local beaches where we can just set up shop and have the ceremony for free - even considering sailboats for housing and using it for excursions for the family while they are there. Another option is to rent a house that accommodates 10-12 people, have the fam stay under one roof and have the ceremony/NYE bash at the house. I would have you consider the keys as an option. The problem I have is that you can only fly into MIA or Key west and we are having our ceremony in the middle keys. I'd love to hear how you are working through this!! Contact me offline if you want more info about the keys or to just chat ali.quinones2@gmail.com 
  • @RLShep86 - we too are in a similar situation; have a limited budget and want a DW.  The Florida Keys was one option, but my fiancé wants to do a cruise and so do I so we are actually heavily looking into a Cruise Wedding.. So far Carnival seems to be offering the best deal.  Depending what port you want to marry in, it can run between $1500-2500.  The best part is that that fee is what the cruise line will take care of such as a wedding planner/coordinator to assist you thru the whole process, transportation to obtain your marriage license, the ceremony location, a small cake, champagne, flowers for both of you, and a few other options depending what package you choose.  You do have to pay pp for the cruise BUT if you book your cruise through a good travel agent you can get GREAT deals!  We are looking into a Bahamas cruise departing from either NYC or Baltimore.  The estimated cost pp to cruise looks like its going to be under $500.  AND with a travel agent, you typically can get upgrades, low fares, and many extras.  Of course depending WHEN you want to get married can determine costs as well.  So this is an option to consider.  We sure are!!! Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards