Plus-Sized

DHgate or Light in the Box

Has any plus sized brides (or any brides at all) have any luck with DHgate or Lightinthebox for their plus sized gown? I undserstand there are many opinions on ordering your gown online, but at this point I have a little less than 10 months and no idea where I am going to get a dress. I am roughly a size 34-36 depending on the brand and I am panicing. I have a budget of $800 and I am having vintage wedding, so sydneys closet doesn't work for the style. And nothing else matches the budget. Please, someone let me know if they had any luck!

*desperate*

Re: DHgate or Light in the Box

• lightinthebox is out of China. I would be very cautious about ordering a wedding dress from them. Same with DHgate.

Have you checked out ebay or even preownedwedding dresses. You never know what you can find at stores either especially when they mark them down. You might find a great dress on clearance.Have you tried Pearl's Place?

Don't know if any of these work: Some might be able to be let out a size.

http://www.preownedweddingdresses.com/dresses/view/64525/Alfred-Angelo-LB-FE3043-Size-26.html

This is a bit out of your price range http://www.preownedweddingdresses.com/dresses/view/77744/Allure-c170-Size-18W.html

same with this one  http://www.preownedweddingdresses.com/dresses/view/27047/Augusta-Jones-Duchess-Size-18.html

might be able to negotiate prices with preowned dresses http://www.preownedweddingdresses.com/dresses/view/81681/Justin-Alexander-8615-Size-26.html

http://www.preownedweddingdresses.com/dresses/view/40170/David-s-Bridal-9E8475-Size-28.html

http://www.preownedweddingdresses.com/dresses/view/81889/Other-1000-Size-28.html

Have you thought of having someone make you your wedding dress?

I am bored at work, so I will see what else I can find.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Jordan's has some dress sizes that should fit you. I have no idea if they are located near you. http://www.jordanfashions.com/m270  http://www.jordanfashions.com/findyourdress/weddings

Any this place close by? http://www.houseofbotticelli.com/

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I have looked every where within a hundred mile radius or so, No one near me sells Jordans bridal only their bridesmaids. I am just worried. I found good things from Dressilyme.com. Brides on other websites who had great interactions who loved their dresses. I am going to look there and see if I can't find any more good things

• Someone else today was asking about buying something that wasn't a gown from Lightinabox, and I say it again; I REFUSE to give money to people who are thieves and steal someone else's gown design and attempt to pass it off as theirs. 

I suspect for $800 you could get a seamstress to CUSTOM make you something that's very nice.  I'd attempt that route myself.

Good luck!!
  • what style of dress are you looking for
  • hyechica81hyechica81 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment First Answer
    edited August 2013
    you can get a mori lee gown for that price range mine was 925  added a second strap and it was 1000 for the dress. she goes up to a 32. where are you located i can look up some places for you if you are in new england area i can give you a whole list of places to check out but i can also search other areas of the usa for you.

mary and tux nasuah NH
    country bridal jeoffier (sp) NH
    bottocellie bridal providence ri
    bridal cornner chicope MA
    Bridal bells Berlin CT( where i got my dress samples up to a size 30 and the samples run big)
    herolds bridal New Haven Ct
    rk bridal nyc
    klienfeld bridal nyc 
    curvey girls bridal washington dc
    trudys bridal san fransisco california 
    Stars  Avon Ct 
    there are also some places in MN as well 

these places all carry plus sizes. out of all of these places bridal bells was the only place on this list i went to. i spent hours researching places to see who had the most gowns in the designer i loved 
    not sure if any of those places are near you 

• You won't likely get any Mori Lee dress, which goes to a 32, to fit you if you are up to a size 36. A 32, is more like a 28/30, street size.   Hyechica's suggestions are good for bridal salons, but almost all designers, even plus size designers, will only go to a 28 or 32. 

Your best bet is to find a local seamstress and have a dress made.  If you go with a simple A-line design, and an affordable fabric, you won't have any problem getting it made in your budget.

really, don't order from DHGate or Light In The box. You already said you had a limited budget. What are you going to do when you spend $300.00 of that on a knockoff dress that you will receive and is unwearable and you have to start from scratch anyway?

Knockoff sites rarely work out well.  I think in the 2 years I've been posting here, I've only seen one person actually claim to have had a positive experience.  If you can't find a local seamstress, try an esty seller (but make sure they are in the US). 

• I found one place that has tons of positive experiences... called dressilyme.com. There is actually a blog an another website devoted to entirely dressilyme experiences. The worse thing I saw for the past 3 years was they didn't get an email back fast enough, or that it came in an inch or two too long....
    I am going to order my rehearsal dinner dress through them for the experience and then go from there....
  • KD+AR said:
    I found one place that has tons of positive experiences... called dressilyme.com. There is actually a blog an another website devoted to entirely dressilyme experiences. The worse thing I saw for the past 3 years was they didn't get an email back fast enough, or that it came in an inch or two too long....
    I am going to order my rehearsal dinner dress through them for the experience and then go from there....
    Good luck.  Most of those reviews are fake, just FYI.  We have had brides here on TK that have posted horrible reviews about them.   You are throwing your money away.
  • I understand its a risk, but I am doing the best that I can on my very limited budget. I have called every seamstress in a 50 mile radius and the base price for any gown is a grand, never mind material and design... that was for labor alone. I really understand the risk... and it is something I am willing to try. I may be pleasantly surprised.... and if not then its my problem...
  • have you tried davids bridal? they have inexpensive gowns. google bridal consigment shops in your state the one close to me the highest priced gown i tried on was 500 and she had tons of plus but did not find what i was looking for 
  • I have looked everywhere... We have been engaged now for a year and a half I have been searching for a long time...The only place that could work is Sydneys closet but I really don't like any of their gowns. I haven't given up completely. I really like Jordan. but I don't have a place in my area and I can't drag my family on a 6 hour trip for a dress... I am not that kind of person.
  • I ordered my dress from Ebay, custom-made, and I LOVED it!  And, yes, it came from China.  I knew I was gambling and fortunately won.  My dress was less than $200 and fit me perfectly right out of the box

The seller is angel*dress. I took the chance because they had about 100 reviews and none of them were negative.  It did come terribly wrinkled and I spent another $100 getting it pressed by a dry cleaner, but I have heard that is pretty typical even from a bridal salon. I did have a number of questions and they were always prompt about answering me.

I had also expected to spend extra money doing some extra tailoring once I got the dress, and I think that is a fair assumption for anything ordered online, but I was thrilled it wasn't necessary. I tried to attach a pic, hopefully it works. I'm sometimes techie-illiterate.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Hey Short+Sassy-

I just sent her a message. Did you do custom measurements?

I would need custom because I am a large girl and I have a HUGE butt... like 10 inch difference between waist and butt. O.o 

Thanks for the suggestion.
  • Hello--

Yes! I absolutely did custom measurements. I wear a street size 14-16, but am only 5' tall. That is one of the things that was going to KILL me buying a dress in a retail store is anything I bought would have to be hemmed and that is one of the most expensive alterations.  With them, I was able to give them my measurements...including height...and it came out great.  My dress also had a corset back, which definitely helps to adjust for minor differences and/or weight gain/loss.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I sent them a message. They didn't have a dress that I wanted. I sent them a message with pics of the dress but communcation is limited because of email and the fact that I can't give them mine. I am nervous that I will get a dress I didn't want. I attached the one I want and they are saying its only going to be about $210.00. How was the quality of the material of your dress? I am sure that it wasn't as high quality as it would have been from a salon, but I don't want to look cheap. 
  • hyechica81hyechica81 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment First Answer
    edited September 2013
    this is a bonny bridal gown and i dont think her gowns are overly expensive have you called pearls place or rk bridal this mght be an older bonny dress. or checked out preowned wedding dress websites. i would never get a china dress but thats just me.  you might strike lucky and get one that looks almost like this with no alterations. I  would hate for your dress to come in and the alterations would be around 400 because the dress was constructed poorly so that would bring you to 700 for the china dress
  • I have called the only salons in a 100 mile radius- they don't carry my size and all dresses are $1200 + 

This I promise everyone is a last resort.

I am double checking at Davids bridal next week.

After that I need to get an order in. I have 8 months
  • Sorry to not reply sooner, I hadn't been back over here. The material for my gown was high quality. I was shocked, lol. It was basically a heavy, matte satin.  The stitching was even and done well. The embroidery was perfect and done well, although they added little clear plastic discs throughout the embroidery that, up really really close, looked a bit cheap but added a nice subtle sparkle to the dress.

Even though it worked out great for me, I'm still the first one to admit that buying a dress online can be a gamble but the savings are spectacular...especially if it cuts down on alterations.  One other thing I didn't mention previously is I did try on a number of different dress styles at David's Bridal before ordering a dress.  That was hugely helpful because then I at least knew which style I liked the best and was the most flattering.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I am happy to announce that I bought my dress. From a bridal salon and it was fantastic! Yea, its too small, however they are putting in a corsett back to help with the sizing! They actually cut the listed price of the dress in half and the owner of the shop came to talk to me too! It was actually really good once I got past my uncomfortableness with the not fitting thing...
  • @dk+ar did they have anything you could at least slip into? i know it can be very fustrated when you are going to try on dresses and nothing is fitting. just because they say they carry plus does not mean that its true plus to most salons anything over a 14 is plus size and most places i called said yes we have plus sizes 14s 16s 18s.  to me that wont help me i am a 20-22 in bottoms and about a 24 26 in bridal i did find a salon that was amazing and she had so many gowns in true plus sizes 
  • I went to a salon that I wasn't aware had a curvy section until I called. They had a whole line in store going to a 32. The higher you go the more likely it is that you have to buy the sample gown. I bought mine off the rack. A size 28. Its way too small, but I am still losing weight, and alterations don't need to start until February.
  • Awesome, congratulations!  We'd love to see a pic when you have one :).
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I ordered from DHGate and LOVED them! It was so great that I got 2 dresses because I couldn't decide which I liked better. The quaility was wonderful and the pricing was great! I was cautious to only order from the vendors that are "gaurenteed" by DHGate.
  • Dressilyme.com : WARNING LADIES!!

In the last 3 years, this company has changed. They got too big to care about customer service. They will no longer send you photos as the dress progresses. You will receive your dress sight-unseen. When it arrives, it will look sort of like the picture on their website… a loose adaptation of it. And if it’s not what you like, tough luck. 

The good news is, the quality is still OK, so if you really need to save some cash, it’s still an option. But so is used and rental. If I could go back in time, I would go with used or rental, because I would know what I’m getting.

• edited May 2014
    Wait, did this thread get resurrected? i'm curious how things turned out for her!
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • KD+ARKD+AR member
    5 Love Its First Comment First Anniversary
    Hey! Touching base on this thread since I got a notice it was getting messages again. Things turned out well... My dress would double my budget but my parents helped. My dress was $800.00 and the alterations were $450. All together $1240! Totally worth it. The dress if beautiful. I went to Marry and Tux in Nashua NH, and the Seamstress I used was Lourdes Gagnon in Nashua. The dress was nearly rebuilt for me, and it is perfect. She added a corset panel, she added 2 inches to each side in the hip area for me, changed the sash from pink to ivory and added sleeves. It is beautiful and I never thought I would feel like a bride, a beautiful one at that... but I do. I don't have a good pic now, but I should in 2 weeks >< 
  • That is awesome! Seriously i'm so HAPPY that you found something and didn't have to settle. Congrats on everything!
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • KD+ARKD+AR member
    5 Love Its First Comment First Anniversary
    Thank you so much!!! I added the pic from the day I bought my dress. Its not altered to me, but thats ok!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards