Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum

Elopement After Party

My fiancé and I are planning a trip to Bora Bora to have a private ceremony with just the two of us next year. We are planning a party when we get back the following month; it will be BBQ with music and lawn games for our guests. I'm just wondering if anyone has any ideas on if we should incorporate some traditional wedding customs at this event? I've been asked if I'm going wedding dress shopping (I figured I'd buy a beachy dress, but not sure about the party), having a "cake", etc? I just figured we would have everyone over to eat, drink, play games, mingle, and celebrate us. But is there something I should be doing for those that wanted a "wedding" for us? Thanks for any advice!

Re: Elopement After Party

• Jen4948Jen4948 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    My fiancé and I are planning a trip to Bora Bora to have a private ceremony with just the two of us next year. We are planning a party when we get back the following month; it will be BBQ with music and lawn games for our guests. I'm just wondering if anyone has any ideas on if we should incorporate some traditional wedding customs at this event? I've been asked if I'm going wedding dress shopping (I figured I'd buy a beachy dress, but not sure about the party), having a "cake", etc? I just figured we would have everyone over to eat, drink, play games, mingle, and celebrate us. But is there something I should be doing for those that wanted a "wedding" for us? Thanks for any advice!
    You got the bolded right and that's where I'd stop.  I would skip the "wedding" stuff.  Since you eloped, it would be a smack in the face to your guests to have "wedding" stuff when you chose not to include them in the actual wedding-even if they want it.  They need to accept that the wedding boat has sailed.
  • Yep, just have a great party without "wedding stuff."  It's not your wedding and your family/friends will have to accept that.  Lawn games, food, and music sounds like a great time!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

• Your plans sound perfectly fine!  Enjoy the party.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • My cousins had a party after they eloped.

They rented a hall and had a catered meal and DJ. They had a cake, but it was a regular sheet cake with "Congratulations, R & S!" written on it.

They wore a dress and suit similar to what they'd wear to a wedding or Easter Mass.

The decorations were balloons around the perimeter of the reception hall and framed pictures of them with votive candles on the tables.

It was really nice. It didn't feel like a wedding reception because it wasn't a wedding reception. It was a wonderful, fun party with family and friends.

I think a backyard version of that would be a lot of fun. If you just wear a regular dress and suit and don't have a wedding cake, it becomes a nice party to celebrate your marriage. 
  • There should definitely be cake. Lots of cake. I also don't think it'd be out of line to wear a white dress, although probably not a big ol' wedding dress. 
    This is me reading threads on TK
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • It's up to you if you want to do it. A friend of mine did something similar. They went off to the tropics and got married & stayed for a week for their honeymoon. They came back, had a dinner at a local resturant with their immediate local family and then had a casual get together for friends back at their home that evening. They managed to squeeze in time to go get a photobook done at a local drug store so that we could see the photos from their special day. It was a lot of fun.
  • Cake is a definite must.  Whether it be a sheet cake from the food store or an elaborate 7 tiered decked out cake from an expensive bakery, a cake is a necessity at any celebratory party.

• Thanks for the advice and support!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards