Chit Chat
Options

NWR: I'm really worried / vent

2»

Re: NWR: I'm really worried / vent

• Options
    You should be able to get more than a part time job in the meantime though, right? Or are you still "working" (slave laboring) at this firm until they "officially" hire you on full time?
    Ooh, I didn't consider this - are you clerking there??

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    You should be able to get more than a part time job in the meantime though, right? Or are you still "working" (slave laboring) at this firm until they "officially" hire you on full time?
    I can't think of any truly full-time job that would want me for a limited time (my experience is in teaching and, of course, law).  I currently work part-time for a test prep company teaching classes and tutoring.  Because of the class schedules (mostly in the afternoon), it's nearly impossible to actually have 40 hours per week.  The hourly pay is good though.  So I'm just hoping I can get as many hours as possible from that.
    Lie?  It's a dick move but you have to look out for numero uno.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    It was interesting for me to see all the applicants for substitute teaching at the required training session.  There were about 50 applicants.  Three months later, only two of us were still accepting jobs.  It was a real shock for many of them.  It isn't about your knowledge; it is about dealing with kids.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Options
    Ooh, I didn't consider this - are you clerking there??
    Forgot to address this question.  Nope, they are not demanding any free work from us at least.  So that's good.

My other friends in my incoming class in the law firm are starting to send me WTF text messages now.  It sucks there are so many of us in this boat.  And it's not like we were living in dorms in law school and can go back and live with Mom and Dad for free for a while.  All of us have previous work experience, most of us live with an SO, and have established households.  You hear how great the salary is for a job like this, but you don't consider off the bat that you have to live for 7 months with a stipend of just a few hundred bucks per month.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

• Options
    phiraphira member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    I would totally donate to a GFM for you to cover that month of income you're not going to have.

Also, I used to teach for Kaplan test prep and wow was it a lot of money for what felt like no work.
    Anniversary
    now with ~* INCREASED SASSINESS *~
  • Options
    @CMGragain I love hearing your subbing stories.

I am a certified teacher so subbing would be a good option.  I'll have to look into my options and see what kind of paperwork I'd need to do to get cleared for the various districts around here.  I enjoy tutoring/ test prep and it's easier than working in a public school, but things with test prep will slow down in September.  So subbing might work.
    I'd also look at umpiring kids softball or reffing soccer on the weekends, or you could tutor pre-law students. If you are around a private school for high school or college, you wouldn't believe what parents will pay. I was getting paid more than 50 bucks an hour for tutoring pre-Algebra and Algebra. I never told parents what I charged and I tried to talk them down sometimes, but they seemed to think it was worth it. Umpiring paid a minimum of 25 a game in this area. So if you have played the sport. You can make good tips at the bar as a waitress depending on where you live. I know you probably don't want people to solve your problems, I just was suggesting things that maybe you hadn't thought of?

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

I am a certified teacher so subbing would be a good option.  I'll have to look into my options and see what kind of paperwork I'd need to do to get cleared for the various districts around here.  I enjoy tutoring/ test prep and it's easier than working in a public school, but things with test prep will slow down in September.  So subbing might work.
    I'd also look at umpiring kids softball or reffing soccer on the weekends, or you could tutor pre-law students. If you are around a private school for high school or college, you wouldn't believe what parents will pay. I was getting paid more than 50 bucks an hour for tutoring pre-Algebra and Algebra. I never told parents what I charged and I tried to talk them down sometimes, but they seemed to think it was worth it. Umpiring paid a minimum of 25 a game in this area. So if you have played the sport. You can make good tips at the bar as a waitress depending on where you live. I know you probably don't want people to solve your problems, I just was suggesting things that maybe you hadn't thought of?
    Thanks @pinkshorts27.  Even if certain suggestions don't work for me, the brainstorming is actually really useful.  It's helping me feel like I have a little more control over the situation!

I already do some tutoring through a national brand, but it sounds like I could make more if I branched out on my own.  Maybe time for a Craigslist ad!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options

Thanks @pinkshorts27.  Even if certain suggestions don't work for me, the brainstorming is actually really useful.  It's helping me feel like I have a little more control over the situation!

I already do some tutoring through a national brand, but it sounds like I could make more if I branched out on my own.  Maybe time for a Craigslist ad!
    I posted my info on boards at school. Craigslist would be great to look for summer work, some parents like to keep them thinking over the summer. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I swear to God, the grad/law school transition to the "real world" is the most BSC process in the history of life. Finished my PhD in clinical psychology and couldn't find a single fucking job in the Chicagoland area because the end time of my final internship didn't work with when most places were hiring early professionals/post docs. I ended up taking a B rate job only because it was the only place that would hire me for a mid-September start. Oh, I'm sorry? You want me to start in July- no can do- I'm on internship until end of August. Oh ok- no job for me then. Gah.
    imageimage">
  • Options
    CMGragain said:
    Subbing school sounds like easy money, but the kids can put you through hell if you aren't used to dealing with them.  Think entitlement with hormones pinging off the walls.  Motherhood was my best preparation.  If the kids tried playing games with me, I just told them that I had already raised two teenagers, and they had tried everything with me. "It didn't work for my kids, and you folks won't get by me either."  Age helped.
    I lasted a day subbing. I learned that I was not intended to be in a classroom teaching children. I got stuck in middle school and first most of the kids were bigger then me and then I remembered that kids are bullies and suck. Well some kids.

Adults/older kids, I can totally handle. Like college. I can do that. But younger, nope, no thank you, no way no how. People ask me all the time why I don't teach my standard answer is "You don't want me teaching the youth of america. I'll lead the fucking rebellion". 
  • Options
    phiraphira member
    I swear to God, the grad/law school transition to the "real world" is the most BSC process in the history of life. Finished my PhD in clinical psychology and couldn't find a single fucking job in the Chicagoland area because the end time of my final internship didn't work with when most places were hiring early professionals/post docs. I ended up taking a B rate job only because it was the only place that would hire me for a mid-September start. Oh, I'm sorry? You want me to start in July- no can do- I'm on internship until end of August. Oh ok- no job for me then. Gah.
    If I somehow manage to finish my PhD, I'm "looking forward" to this!
    Anniversary
  • Options
    CC0805CC0805 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    @nsweare I'm not sure about that.  It's the NYC area so even pro bono type jobs are highly competitive.  And I just had to sign this whole thing for my firm that I'm not doing client-service work and thus creating potential conflicts... I think I'd be better off staying away from any real legal work on the off-chance I create a conflict and shoot myself in the foot.
    I was going to ask where you were b/c I remembered it being NY... I would have offered my sister-in-laws firm since I know they are looking for clerks/paralegals right now, but I guess that's not an option.  Sorry.  What retail experience do you have?  I know of one Mens Warehouse that just lost an employee and my FI Madison store may be looking... but his store is high end mens clothing,

You can always take over my class as a sub1  ACTUALLY we need a sub for the next two months! PM me
  • Options
    @CC0805 thanks for the suggestions!  Unfortunately the time I'm trying to fill in is August through October, so the sub opening right now wouldn't work.  :/  I'll PM you about the retail jobs though!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    CC0805CC0805 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    Aw that's too bad.  Getting tired of the other 3rd grade class getting split into my room
  • Options
    phira said:
    @phira- what field are you in? In my experience, the whole transition between grad school and life is such a joke. You pay thousands of dollars to get a degree, walk across a stage, and (most of the time) fall flat on your ass. Gah. I want to write a book called "the things they don't tell you in grad school." Haha
    imageimage">
  • Options
    That's rough- the firm isn't giving you any signing bonus/ advance bonus? I think LSAT tutoring is the way to go. I put everything from August- October on a credit card. Not the wisest choice but its a weird waiting period. Also don't even worry about the bar trip thing. Bar trips are a thing of pre 2008. I went to New Orleans because my old roommate lived there. Plan something fun for after bar but it doesn't have to be pricey. Maybe a spa service or ten day bender.

• Options
    phira said:
    I would totally donate to a GFM for you to cover that month of income you're not going to have.

Also, I used to teach for Kaplan test prep and wow was it a lot of money for what felt like no work.
    Is it bad of me that even through my distaste of GFM, I TOTALLY would contribute to a "JC needs wine" GFM?

Because I totally would. I might even chip in some for a nice dinner!

But I actually kinda like you. Unlike most of the people who great GFMs.
  • Options
    check seasonal help at country clubs.  I know my DH's place looks for seasonal help.  Actually I''m working part time there from June until Sept (beverage cart gift for the golf course on the weekends).   Good money and no long term commitments.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    phira said:
    @phira- what field are you in? In my experience, the whole transition between grad school and life is such a joke. You pay thousands of dollars to get a degree, walk across a stage, and (most of the time) fall flat on your ass. Gah. I want to write a book called "the things they don't tell you in grad school." Haha
    One of my friends is working a post-doc for chemistry right now. I really don't understand it: it's basically an internship. I don't understand why he can't use his degree to get a "real" job. His answer? "That's just how it's done." Well you all shouldn't accept it. It's not fair for you to work for free for 6 months-1 year until someone will pay you money to work just because "that's how it's done", that's bullshit.
  • Options
    I got no suggestions but I will contribute to a "JC needs wine" GFM as well! Because, well, wine makes everything better.
  • Options
    mschristie123mschristie123 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment First Answer
    edited May 2014
    phira said:
    One of my friends is working a post-doc for chemistry right now. I really don't understand it: it's basically an internship. I don't understand why he can't use his degree to get a "real" job. His answer? "That's just how it's done." Well you all shouldn't accept it. It's not fair for you to work for free for 6 months-1 year until someone will pay you money to work just because "that's how it's done", that's bullshit.
    Preach! Haha yeah the way the PhD system works is pretty asinine. My first year out of school, I'm on a post doc technically, and I am making a salary but 50-75% less than I'll be making once I have a "real" job. It's frustrating. FI wants to go back to school, but to do so, I need to be making "doctor money" soon.
    imageimage">
  • Options
    APDSS22APDSS22 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer

I just want to point out that for reffing soccer you actually have to have a certification.  You watch some videos and pay to take a test.  If you pass that test, you're certified.  There are different levels of tests and the higher certified you are, the more money you can make (because you can go ref higher levels of games.)  If you have a completely open schedule and are in great shape you can make a lot of money on weekends but all the clubs I or anyone I know have ever been a part of require certified refs.  Yes, I was a ref.  I'm no longer certified, but tournaments will let you make a killing and give you lots of free stuff once you certify at a certain level.

I hope you figure out something.  Retail's always an option but you'll probably make more with the test prep or even subbing.  With the whole healthcare thing, 25 hours a week is pretty much the max-out point for part time retail (so you don't approach overtime and they don't have to pay for your healthcare.)
  • Options
    Thanks for the suggestions everyone.  @pinkcow13 I think part of it is that everyone assumes law students want some time off after the bar because it is so intense.  The extra time is probably as @crazycatlady3 said: the firm has less work than they anticipated so it's not worth it for them to pay new associates when we won't be working enough.  This is not unheard of but it is disappointing.

I am thinking about putting up some posters around my apartment complex that I offer tutoring.  I'm a certified teacher in my state so I can charge a pretty decent rate.  I don't think summer school would work because the time I really need to be working is late August through October.

I hadn't really thought about waitressing.  I've never done it and I probably can't, because of my joint problems carrying things is sort of a no-no.  I guess I could try to go back to retail; there's a mall within walking distance.  That wouldn't pay as much as tutoring, though.  Hopefully I'll be able to get a bunch of tutoring hours.

Here are a few suggestions that come to my mind:

I got substitute teaching certification a few years ago when things were slow at my job, just in case I needed it... I still haven't used it. But, that's definitely something to look into and easy to do.

Also, maybe put ad on Craigslist for tutoring.  My FI needed help with math when he went back to school and that was one of the first places we looked for tutors. Or see if local college or community college have a reference list of tutors that you could get put on.

If you have a local community college, you may be able to see if they need teachers for a summer class.  Often you just need a bachelors to teach there and they may be okay with hiring temporary position for summer.

Another option would be if you have learning/tutoring centers near you, like Sylvan Learning Centers or something like that.  Although, summer is probably their slow time, so they may not need anyone.

Check with local temporary employment agencies. You may be able to find something that would be for just a few weeks or months.

At one time, when I was slow on work, I put ad on Craigslist to type papers, data entry, filing, or that type of thing.  So, something like that may be an option.

If you are crafty at all, maybe make & sell products on Etsy or something. After designing and making wedding invites for my wedding and my sisters wedding, I was debating starting a side business making invites.  But, my real job is too busy right now, so that may turn into a backup job someday if needed.

• Options
    phiraphira member
    phira said:
    Biological science. BLEH.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    APDSS22 said:

I just want to point out that for reffing soccer you actually have to have a certification.  You watch some videos and pay to take a test.  If you pass that test, you're certified.  There are different levels of tests and the higher certified you are, the more money you can make (because you can go ref higher levels of games.)  If you have a completely open schedule and are in great shape you can make a lot of money on weekends but all the clubs I or anyone I know have ever been a part of require certified refs.  Yes, I was a ref.  I'm no longer certified, but tournaments will let you make a killing and give you lots of free stuff once you certify at a certain level.

I hope you figure out something.  Retail's always an option but you'll probably make more with the test prep or even subbing.  With the whole healthcare thing, 25 hours a week is pretty much the max-out point for part time retail (so you don't approach overtime and they don't have to pay for your healthcare.)
    I reffed and umpired. Umpire tests were harder (more rules). Yes you have to pass the test, but generally they aren't hard, especially if she could pass the bar. That is why I suggested them. I used to umpire 5 games a day on the weekends about 3 weekends a month. Made around 800 bucks a month, but traded my weekends. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards