Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

What to do when wedding details were wrong or just totally missed by your vendor?

Well the wedding came and went and we had a fabulous time however there are some nagging items that are bothering me. We used a prominent and very elegant wedding venue (The Burkeshire Plantation) that recommended and booked their own vendors for the cake and food etc. The food was not quite what we thought it would be (what part of "chicken medallions with raspberry sauce" equals breaded chicken nuggets) ... they didn't do the champagne toast even though it was part of the deal... and I tasted and booked a cake with them that was supposed to have apricot filling and it did not when we bit into it. Additionally they totally forgot to put the flowers on the cake.

What do I say or do? Do I just let it go? Up until the day of I had a great feeling that everything was taken care of and my coordinator with the venue has been doing this for years and years. The day of the wedding we arrived just when she said to and I did exactly what I was told... so of course I didn't check to see if the filling was right or if there were flowers on the cake, or what the food looked/tasted like etc. 

I guess I just don't know what to do about it or if I should just be happy I'm married and on to the next phase. Thoughts? Has this happened to anyone else?

Re: What to do when wedding details were wrong or just totally missed by your vendor?

• Options
    KGold80KGold80 member
    First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    If it were me I would say something. You didn't get what you paid for and to me that is unacceptable.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    Get out your contract and see what was written down, if it's not written and it was just a verbal agreement you might not have a leg to stand on. But if it is, hopefully you have picture documentation of the food, flowers, cake, etc. Send all that to them and ask them to reimburse you for the cost of the toast, flowers on the cake, etc. 
  • Options
    Do you have the details in writing in your contract?  If you do, contact the manager and calmly explain your disappointment.  A cash adjustment is in order.
    If you do not have it in writing, then I don't think anything can be done.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    I had problems that I expected my coordinator would have made sure were correct, per our multiple discussion.
    We made a list and DH met with the coordinator and his manager, where he went over all the mistakes and mishaps. We were given a refund for a portion of the bill and for lack of better words, a gift card to cover us and 8 guests for dinner and drinks on our anniversary.

We had a longer list than yours, but you should still receive something for mess up.

If you didn't try the chicken medallions in advance, I would let that slide. Unless you had them at a tasting and a different dish was served, you really don't know if it was correct or not. 

GL! :)

ETA - not all ours were in writing...you shouldn't have to put in the contract that they will vacuum after lunch service so your foot isn't next to a green bean while you say your vows :-p SO even if it's not in the contract I would complain.
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• Options
    phiraphira member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    Check your contract and come up (with your new spouse) what you think is a reasonable reimbursement. Bring it up with them and ask.

If you don't have any of these details in writing, then you can't really argue with them, but a lot of that stuff (apricot filling, champagne toast) are things that I'm sure are either in your contract or written elsewhere.
    Anniversary
    now with ~* INCREASED SASSINESS *~
  • Options
    If it was me, I would ask for reimbursement for the cost of the cake and use the missed champagne toast as leverage. The cake was incorrect, the flowers were left off and the forgotten toast should be enough to sell your point. It's not job to check everything on your wedding day, it is hers. Let the chicken go if you never tried it, then it is what you ordered...sorry :(
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• Options
    I agree about the chicken.
    On the rest, I would review any paperwork you had, because these all sound like they could be "add-ons" that come with additional charges (and maybe weren't included in a base package, or the coordinator failed to add and bill them, or something). Filled cakes, fresh flowers on the cake, and champagne toasts seem to be viewed as optional extras, at least with some of the vendors I've seen in my area. I would definitely let them know you are not happy, though!
  • Options
    Jen4948Jen4948 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    Since you didn't get what you paid for, you can perhaps ask for a reimbursement on the cake, flowers, and champagne.  Point out that these things were in the contract and they failed to follow through.

And if they stiff you again, you can file complaints with the BBB and give reviews that say what went wrong.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards