Registry and Gift Forum
Options

Strangest or Funniest Wedding Gift You've Received

The DH and I are just getting through our wedding presents and readying the Thank You notes.  We got so many kind, thoughtful and useful presents!  And then we received two funny ones:

*a foam cooler tube that you attach to a bicycle- built to contain two canned beers.  The cooler came with one unused roll of camera film inside.  It is also a clearly used cooler and kind of dirty on the outside but it was wrapped very nicely.
*a book featuring different.... erm.... positions that you can try in the bedroom.  The book is helpfully illustrated with explicit photographs.

So tell me- did you get anything weird for your wedding?  How did you write your Thank You notes?

Re: Strangest or Funniest Wedding Gift You've Received

• Options

Lol, a book of positions.  That would be interesting if you were one of those people that opens wedding gifts in front of your family!

We appreciated every gift.  One had us scratching our heads a little.

We got exactly 3 physical gifts at our reception.  One was a plain black gift bag with the following inside: card, glass growler, blanket.  There was no tissue paper or anything in it so it looked like a bag with stuff in it more than a present.  The card had a check for $65 and a beer fill certificate to go with the growler.  The certificate was dated earlier in the year so we think he didn't buy it specifically for us.  Then there was a red fleece throw/blanket with several Macy's markdown price stickers on it.  On the inside of the card he itemized all these parts of the gift like a MOH or someone might for a bride at her shower.

Why these 3 things?  We had fun trying to figure out the connection of the three things.  Our theory is:

He wanted to give us a gift valued at $100.  He does not drink beer so when someone gave him the beer stuff he saw a good opportunity to regift it to us (we are known beer drinkers).  OK makes sense.  I'm guessing this was valued at $25.  The blanket is not beer related so I don't know what the "connection" was there--thus the head scratching. I'm thinking it was valued at $10 because add the $65 check and you get a $100 gift.  The wrapping I'm assuming he is a guy that is not into tissue paper and wrapping so there you go.

We wrote a thank you that said something along the lines of Thank you for the blanket, beer gift and generous gift of money.  We were so happy to celebrate with you and hope to see you soon.

• Options
    I registered for 'The Wine Rack' (a bra that holds a bottle of wine!!) as a joke, and it was actually the first thing to be purchased!! my shower is June 1.. I cannot wait to receive it..! haha
  • Options
    Thank you so much for making me aware of The Wine Rack!  My friend's bachelorette is months away but I'm bookmarking that one ;)
  • Options
    At my shower one of my mom's coworker sent along a gift basket that had dirty dice, dirty lottery coupons, tic tac shots, and plastic handcuffs. 

I thought Mom was getting impatient for a third grandchild. 

Anniversary
  • Options
    didnt get anything funny or dirty, i thought for sure one of my aunts who has bi polar,and a host of other issues would have gotten me something impractical, whos on a fixed income, actualy got me a 100 gift card to khols it was very thoughtful of her
  • Options
    labrolabro member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its

We haven't received any gifts yet as we're still just over 5 months to go til our wedding. However, my BFF is getting married on Saturday and she's already received some quirky stuff. One of the most memorable was an electric toothbrush from a family member. New, not used....just to clarify. ;) She thinks the family member got it as a bank reward or something and regifted it to her.

• Options
    Regifting can be such an odd practice when it comes to wedding presents- not only are the gifts off the registry but they normally have nothing to do with the couple.  

One of my friends received a set of Betty Boop-themed towels at her bridal shower.  Since she has never expressed an interest in Betty Boop, she thinks it's a regift.  Or just a misfire.  Either way, she still sent a TY for them though they aren't displayed in her house :P

When my MOH got married last year she received an odd mishmash of a present from her MIL- a couple of clearly used kitchen implements (spatula, bread knife, whisk) along with one of those doll things that sits on toilet paper - something like this:

• Options
    ei34ei34 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    Only two of our 175 guests gave physical gifts, the rest gave cash or check. One of the cards was addressed to "Ellie and Ron", sort of close our names but not our names (or nicknames). That was kind of weird. I made sure to sign the thank you card with our actual names.
  • Options
    @adverb1129:  That doll thing is creepy and I am very sad I know such things exist now.  Your poor friend!
  • Options
    Regifting can be such an odd practice when it comes to wedding presents- not only are the gifts off the registry but they normally have nothing to do with the couple.  

One of my friends received a set of Betty Boop-themed towels at her bridal shower.  Since she has never expressed an interest in Betty Boop, she thinks it's a regift.  Or just a misfire.  Either way, she still sent a TY for them though they aren't displayed in her house :P

When my MOH got married last year she received an odd mishmash of a present from her MIL- a couple of clearly used kitchen implements (spatula, bread knife, whisk) along with one of those doll things that sits on toilet paper - something like this:

Does your friends Mil dislike her?  Why would anyone think of getting something as ugly and weird as this?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Does your friends Mil dislike her?  Why would anyone think of getting something as ugly and weird as this?
    It's odd- so far as she knows they don't have any issues or drama but her MIL is a bit kooky.  She lives far away from the couple in a very small town (population 2100 or so) and just seems to be eccentric.  The MIL is also notoriously stingy- my friend suspects that the presents may have come from a thrift shop or just come from the MIL's house
  • Options
    A woman came to my store the other week. Wanted to know if you could fix a 2 cycle engine that was ran as a 4 cycle with E15 fuel.

The mower was absolutely destroyed. The blade had rusted on, never been sharpened, just absolutely worthless. There was no saving it.

This was a wedding present to her husband from his mother and step father.

They live in an apartment, no plans to move.

So, regifting trash that someone has no need or room for to your own kid. Klassee.

So she came in yesterday. They'd seen a far nicer thank you card than I would have. Thanks for sharing the day, blah blah blah. Didn't mention the mower. MIL sent card back scribbled all over about how ungrateful and selfish they are to not love and mention the mower, the wedding was disgusting, everyone dressed like "those immoral street walkers", blah blah blah.

I love my in-laws. Better than winning Powerball. I have really nice, decent, warm in-laws who want to be friends and are thrilled that DF and I are getting married.

My dad gave us a bunch of tools for working on the house. That's super nice, yes we sent a thank you and his favorite brownies. But, I work in a hardware store. We have eight bazillion tools already! Oh well, I can use a fifth hammer.
  • Options
    Aray82Aray82 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper

Eeek! I love how you say "one of those doll things that sits on toilet paper" as though it's something people see every day :) I've never seen anything like this before! And if I were an overnight guest in someone's house trying to find my way to the bathroom light switch at 2 am and I ran into this, I'd be pretty friggin' terrified!
  • Options

Holy crap my grandmother used to make something similar, but for the standing air fresheners. Complete with the creepy doll face! Haven't thought about those things in years...

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards