Chit Chat
Options

NWR, NDR: What's everyone's Mother's Day plans?

In light of the drama we've already had this morning, let's change the subject!

What are everyone's plans for Mother's Day?

DH and I are going to my parents' house (which is annoying his grandmother, but oh, well), and he, Brother, and I are going to paint the shutters for my mom. 22 shutters, two doors, and two garage-door jambs. It's gonna be a long weekend.

Then Sunday, Mama HisGirl is coming down to our place and spending the night because both she and I are going to a work-related conference next week. Maybe I'm unusual, but I'm looking forward to spending the week with my mother!

Anniversary

I'm gonna go with 'not my circus, not my monkeys.'

Re: NWR, NDR: What's everyone's Mother's Day plans?

• Options
    FI and I are spending the day with my parents. My dad's grilling salmon for lunch and bacon burgers for supper. That's about all, really.
  • Options
    My sister & I will be getting back from a bachelorette party early that afternoon.

We always garden on Mother's day & then cook dinner  :)
  • Options
    Visiting my mom and grandma, then heading home for dinner with daughter, her fiancé, and my youngest son. I've never been one to make a huge fuss of Mother's Day- it follows so quickly after my birthday that I always feel I've already had my card and flower day. 
    Grandma likes a bit of a fuss, so she can show off for the other seniors in her apartment. My mom likes a stiff Manhattan and a hug. I'm happy to go along with both these traditions. 
  • Options
    Saturday morning Mom and I are going yard saling

Sunday I work, then I'll be going home to clean and keep working on wedding stuff.

Anniversary
  • Options
    DH has to work Mother's Day Brunch.   I will be hanging out at home preparing for the foot of snow they say we might get.

I sent out my mom's gift.  DH is in charge of his mom. 

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    We actually don't have any plans. FI's mom lives in Florida. My mom lives in PA 1.5 hours away. I already sent them both flowers. It looks like the weather will be good so maybe we'll go out on the boat. 
  • Options
    lyndausvi said:
    DH has to work Mother's Day Brunch.   I will be hanging out at home preparing for the foot of snow they say we might get.

Other than painting the shutters, I have bought and wrapped our gifts for my mom (except for the card, which I'll do at lunch.)

DH is in charge of getting BSC granny something, and so far, that hasn't happened. Of course, if he doesn't, y'all just KNOW it's gonna be my fault somehow (in her eyes.)
    Anniversary

• Options
    My mom lives 1500 miles away and his mom is a real w(b)itch so we'll be in Vegas soaking in the sun at the pool :) Haven't seen sun in 6 months wooooooo

• Options
    KGold80KGold80 member
    First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    My future stepson has a basketball tournament this weekend, so we'll spend a good part of Mother's Day watching him play ball. I know FI took the kids to the store to buy me a Mother's Day gift earlier this week, but other than that we don't usually make a big deal out of it. It's really just another day to me. We already sent stuff to our stepmoms and will give our moms their gifts on Sunday.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    jenna8984 said:
    My mom lives 1500 miles away and his mom is a real w(b)itch so we'll be in Vegas soaking in the sun at the pool :) Haven't seen sun in 6 months wooooooo
    Yeah, I'm sorrynotsorry we'll be far away from BSC granny this weekend. I know she's pissed that we're not doing anything with her this weekend (nor is anyone else), but that's a whole lot of NMFP.
    Anniversary

• Options
    lyndausvi said:

Other than painting the shutters, I have bought and wrapped our gifts for my mom (except for the card, which I'll do at lunch.)

DH is in charge of getting BSC granny something, and so far, that hasn't happened. Of course, if he doesn't, y'all just KNOW it's gonna be my fault somehow (in her eyes.)
    After our first year of marriage one of DH's friend's wife took me aside to tell me that MIL was disappointed she didn't get anything for Mother's Day.   I'm like "ahhh.  I take care of my family he takes care of his".  She looked at me like I had 3 heads.   Look I get in most families wifey is the social secretary, but that is not the way it works in our family.  DH was in his late thirties when we got married.  Just because we are married now doesn't mean it falls all on me.  

Now that does not mean we do not help each other.   My dad's party is coming up and DH bought his gift months ago.  He saw something and said  "FIL would love this" and bought it.  I do the same for his mom.  For the most part we take care of our own families.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    afox007afox007 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    My moms a little upset that we aren't heading over to her place, but FSS apparently has a secret Mother's Day plan for me. I do know it includes mimosas in bed since he is awesome and let it slip that "of course you get mimosas in bed I do know what you like after all".
  • Options
    We're going to my lovely FMIL's house for the day! I'm kind of sad because this is my first mother's day away from my mom. ):
  • Options
    lyndausvi said:
    lyndausvi said:

After our first year of marriage one of DH's friend's wife took me aside to tell me that MIL was disappointed she didn't get anything for Mother's Day.   I'm like "ahhh.  I take care of my family he takes care of his".  She looked at me like I had 3 heads.   Look I get in most families wifey is the social secretary, but that is not the way it works in our family.  DH was in his late thirties when we got married.  Just because we are married now doesn't mean it falls all on me.  

Now that does not mean we do not help each other.   My dad's party is coming up and DH bought his gift months ago.  He saw something and said  "FIL would love this" and bought it.  I do the same for his mom.  For the most part we take care of our own families.
    I am (largely) the social secretary in our marriage, because that plays to my strengths. We have friends getting married later this month and we've already bought and wrapped the presents and the card; we'll take it to their house Memorial Day weekend for the annual BBQ.

I bought their gifts in April (part of them through a Knottie, actually, on etsy), and DH was like, 'Their wedding isn't for seven weeks. Why buy now?' I was like, 'There is no penalty in buying early.'

He often will find things he thinks my dad or brother will like -- they have a lot in common -- and he'll pick that up, so there is some sharing of responsibility.

But there's no universe in which I'm buying a present for a woman who thinks I'm the worst thing that ever happened to DH.
    Anniversary

• Options
    We're going to FIL's house for dinner to celebrate FMIL's birthday plus Mother's Day, but really FSIL is going to make it all about her because it's always about her andplusalso she's PREGNANT in case anyone forgot.

I don't think she realizes that once the babies are born it will be all about them and not her. Not sure how she's going to handle that. </rant>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
     My mom lives just over 5hrs away, so I mailed her a Mother's Day gift at the beginning of this week. On Saturday, we're going over to MIL house for a bbq/bonfire party they're throwing. They live a little ways out of town, (not crazy far, but not in the city), so the Saturday get-together, is more to get all of us "kids" out there, as we won't all make it Sunday. Sunday we'll likely call both Moms, as we won't be seeing them. (Unless MIL drives into town). :)

*J
  • Options
    FiancBFiancB member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    I never know what to get my mom. She doesn't wear jewelry, doesn't really like anything decorative or girly or fashionable, and has so much gd stuff that she would qualify for an episode of hoarders. Maybe I'll go with the old standby of a kindle gift card. Lame, but it's about all I can think of. I gave her a kindle a few years back to cut down on the hoarding of books. 

So I'll call her but mostly I'm going to be studying for the TEAS I'm taking on Tuesday. 

Even though I'm not a mom, I secretly kind of hope FI takes me out, like as a future mom. That would be really sweet. Not getting my hopes up though. That probably sounds super weird, but most things that cross my mind do. 
  • Options
    lyndausvi said:

Ugh. It's supposed to snow down here in Denver, too. April snow I can handle, but May snow makes me batty.

I have no clue what we are doing on Sunday. My mom lives in NC so we won't see her. FI's mom is here, but we'll be spending Saturday night with her at that damn wedding so I'm not sure if we'll do anything else. Lame, I know.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    lyndausvi said:
    lyndausvi said:

I am (largely) the social secretary in our marriage, because that plays to my strengths. We have friends getting married later this month and we've already bought and wrapped the presents and the card; we'll take it to their house Memorial Day weekend for the annual BBQ.

I bought their gifts in April (part of them through a Knottie, actually, on etsy), and DH was like, 'Their wedding isn't for seven weeks. Why buy now?' I was like, 'There is no penalty in buying early.'

He often will find things he thinks my dad or brother will like -- they have a lot in common -- and he'll pick that up, so there is some sharing of responsibility.

But there's no universe in which I'm buying a present for a woman who thinks I'm the worst thing that ever happened to DH.
    My sister is the social secretary in her family.  Which is fine, it works in their family.  I just hated that I was the one pulled aside for not getting FMIL a Mother's Day gift.  Like now that I'm wifey it's MY job.  Fuck that.   DH should have been pulled aside for forgetting to send something.  

For the record I like MIL, but I really do not know her.  At that point I met her twice?  She made it perfectly known she doesn't like flowers.  Like  HATES flowers.    I do call her on my own independent from DH, on all the holidays and birthdays.   So it's not like I ignore her.

• Options
    edited May 2014
    SS's wedding is tomorrow (the one with the invoiced bach/sex-toy party I skipped). It's a 1:00 wedding with no lunch (just apps and wine), so HangryLolo might snap and bite someone out of hunger. She asked me to be DOC because I'm "kind of a bitch" (who knew!) so I doubt I'll have time to eat beforehand once I get my list of assignments. She's also SOOOOPER PISSED that her FI's family planned a baby shower for his twin sister (who recently had a baby but lives out of state so nobody has seen her in a long time) for Sunday at 11am. "They're my guests, I should get to spend time with them the next day, not her!" You get ONE day sweetie. And they're HER family. And it's MOTHER'S DAY. Spend it with your own kid. Or your mom.

ETA oh yeah, and we'll take my mom out to dinner on the way home from the wedding Saturday, since it'll end so early and I'll be so hungry.

• Options
    I am going ( a little resentfully) over to my grandmother's for breakfast Sunday morning. I say resentfully because my mom will be there and she has just been a big pot of drama since her impending divorce and since everyone has expressed disapproval over her new (felon) boyfriend.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    Aray82Aray82 member
    lyndausvi said:

What is with the responsibility of gifts always falling to the women of the household? I see this all the time, even when the guys share an otherwise equal responsibility for other domestic tasks! Since getting engaged we've started going in on gifts together for FI's nieces, but he's the one who has to initiate it if he wants it to get done, and vice versa for gifts in my family. 

Also, from your other posts about BSC granny, I have a feeling that even if he does get her something wonderful, she could somehow find a way to blame you for another slight. Just have a feeling...
  • Options
    CrazyMom is currently less crazy, so she and my sister are going to come over for dinner on Sunday night. They both missed my 2 weeks of St. Paddy's Day festivities, so they've requested I make corned beef, colcannon, and spinach salad. In the morning, I'll likely go leave flowers at the cemetery for FI's mom as long as the ground isn't too soggy from the rain (FI has to referee all day).
    ~*~*~*~*~

• Options
    Aray82 said:
    lyndausvi said:

What is with the responsibility of gifts always falling to the women of the household? I see this all the time, even when the guys share an otherwise equal responsibility for other domestic tasks! Since getting engaged we've started going in on gifts together for FI's nieces, but he's the one who has to initiate it if he wants it to get done, and vice versa for gifts in my family. 

Also, from your other posts about BSC granny, I have a feeling that even if he does get her something wonderful, she could somehow find a way to blame you for another slight. Just have a feeling...
    Oh, of course. I mean, it's already my fault we're spending the holiday with my family/mother rather than her. And it's somehow my fault that the family picnic got cancelled. Everything's my fault. I've just accepted that. 

Buuuuuut....
    Anniversary

• Options
    Aray82Aray82 member
    I'm calling my mom to say, "Happy Mothers Day, wish I could be there!" :( She lives across the country, but I'm guessing she'll go out with my sister and her FI and my dad for a gigantic platter of sushi which is generally what she does to relax on Sunday night. 

She came last month to stay with me for a week during my surgery, and because she was admiring our cast iron skillet, I sent the following for a gift: a Calphalon cast iron skillet (her absolute favorite kitchen brand), a wooden spoon, a Calphalon oven mitt lined with silicone (pretty sure she doesn't have any silicone mitts), and a tortilla warmer. She's going to be off from teaching for the summer soon and she loves to cook and try new recipes when she has more time, so I thought she and my dad could enjoy some fajitas :)
  • Options
    We're doing brunch with my side- parents, grandmother, sister and her family. After that, we're spending the afternoon/evening with FI's side- his mom and all of his brothers, sisters, spouses, kids, etc.

I managed to offend my parents in the process. I tried to schedule my family first since I knew that his family wouldn't make plans until the last minute. I kept pressing my parents for times -and suggesting brunch - but they kept not following up. Finally, I call yesterday to confirm brunch because we got the schedule for FI's family and my parents suddenly act like they're being sidelined.

This is my first relationship where both families live in the same vicinity and it's a LOT harder than I expected!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    We're going out with my mom, two step-moms, and FSIL to lunch and possibly a movie or maybe to get pedicures. I asked them what they wanted and they all said a girls day out. Simple and done. My FFILs, dad and brothers will be cooking meat over a fire for when we return.

On Saturday my step-mom wants to do something with me and my brothers, we're thinking of going bowling. 

We don't speak with FI's mother any more. She threw her out when FI came out and a few years ago FI finally stopped even trying to reach out. Mother's day is a bit sad for her, but my moms are pretty fantastic and have told her many times that she is without a doubt their daughter. FI is actually excited for mother's day this year, especially because we're including her little sister on the day.
  • Options
    Aray82Aray82 member
    Aray82 said:
    lyndausvi said:

Oh, of course. I mean, it's already my fault we're spending the holiday with my family/mother rather than her. And it's somehow my fault that the family picnic got cancelled. Everything's my fault. I've just accepted that. 

Buuuuuut....
    Oh geez--I'm now so old that I don't even recognize what Nick show this is from : O
  • Options
    Usually we go to FPILs' house for brunch.  I have to go to work at 1pm, so the first plan was to go to FPILs' and I'd have time to leave for work.

Then FPILs changed their plans and they are spending Mother's Day in Brooklyn instead, because it is also Fi's grandfather's bday.  So Fi is going (he plans to take the PATH to Manhattan and then ride his bike over the Brooklyn Bridge-- I'm jealous), but I have to miss it for work.

My mom lives 4 hours away, so her flowers and card are in the mail.

And yeah, I get treated like the social secretary as well, by Fi's family.  FMIL texted me but not him about the Mother's Day plans, and I'm the one they chase for things like RSVPs.  I try to make Fi handle that stuff preemptively because I have no interest in being social secretary.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

• Options
    Fi and I will be sitting through a really uncomfortable lunch/dinner with my mother and brother. Hooray. I am just thrilled.
    Uh-oh. Why? 
    Anniversary

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards