Getting in Shape

Where do I start on this GETTING FIT FOR THIS DRESS journey..?

I would like to look PERFECT on my wedding day, as every woman would. I know I would like to lose at least 10-15 lbs before that and TONE UP. and when I say tone up I mean T O N E  UP!!!!!! I am planning on wearing a dress that is somewhat fitted all the way down to my shins, id like to say. but im very bottom heavy (wide hips and big butt! LOL), so have cottage cheese dimples and love handles is an absolute NO GO for my wedding day. I need suggestions on diet, maybe a good workout routine that tones my full body.

Skin..

I hate that I suffer from adult acne and my biggest fear is having the biggest breakout on my face during my wedding day. I don't want to have to cake on make up to hide those imperfections so if anyone has any suggestions on a good skin care line or routine or ANYTHING that could help, its BEYOND appreciated. Thank so much beauties! =)

Met my BFF | 12.2006   
Dating my BFF | 10.25.08
Engaged  to  him | 1.1.14
Marrying my BFF | 5.3.15
& Happily spending the
rest of my days being MRS.RAJAB

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Where do I start on this GETTING FIT FOR THIS DRESS journey..?

• JasperandOpalJasperandOpal member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Answer First Comment
    edited May 2014
    I went to the Estee Lauder counter in Macy's a few months back and had them recommend a skin care regiment.  It was pricey but the results have been amazing.  Their Advanced Night Repair is great and so is the Idealist Even Skin Tone stuff.  I also use their daytime moisturizer with SPF and face wash.  They can recommend the specific items that are right for your skin.  I also use a witch hazel as a toner after washing my face and before putting on any creams.  

For weight loss, I am doing a ton of stuff, but thats because I was pretty active anyway and I always need to add variety to my routine. 

If you aren't very active, start by walking more.  get a pedometer or download a pedometer app for your phone.  I aim to walk over 10,000 steps every day in addition to whatever exercise I am doing but if you aren't currently exercising, do a test run to see how many steps you currently walk a day, then add 1000 more, then 1000 more and just keep adding on additional steps each week.  

If you are active look on groupon/living social etc and see if there are any gym deals in your area.  I just bought a pretty good deal for Cardio Barre to mix in with my regular routine of running.
    If you like to run/jog/walk, sign up for a 5k/10k/half marathon and start training for it.  It will give you a concrete goal to work for.  I am training for a 10k now and have a half marathon on the books for three weeks after my wedding so I am right in the peak of training around my wedding.

Diet is more specific because I find what works for me doesn't necessarily work for others.  I cut out breadie carbs.  I have bran in the morning but otherwise only get carbs from veggies.  I also count calories- and use an app for that as well.
  • I went to the Estee Lauder counter in Macy's a few months back and had them recommend a skin care regiment.  It was pricey but the results have been amazing.  Their Advanced Night Repair is great and so is the Idealist Even Skin Tone stuff.  I also use their daytime moisturizer with SPF and face wash.  They can recommend the specific items that are right for your skin.  I also use a witch hazel as a toner after washing my face and before putting on any creams.  

For weight loss, I am doing a tone of stuff, but thats because I was pretty active anyway and I always need to add variety to my routine. 

If you aren't very active, start by walking more.  get a pedometer or download a pedometer app for your phone.  I aim to walk over 10,000 steps every day in addition to whatever exercise I am doing but if you aren't currently exercising, do a test run to see how many steps you currently walk a day, then add 1000 more, then 1000 more and just keep adding on additional steps each week.  

If you are active look on groupon/living social etc and see if there are any gym deals in your area.  I just bought a pretty good deal for Cardio Barre to mix in with my regular routine of running.
    If you like to run/jog/walk, sign up for a 5k/10k/half marathon and start training for it.  It will give you a concrete goal to work for.  I am training for a 10k now and have a half marathon on the books for three weeks after my wedding so I am right in the peak of training around my wedding.

Diet is more specific because I find what works for me doesn't necessarily work for others.  I cut out breadie carbs.  I have bran in the morning but otherwise only get carbs from veggies.  I also count calories- and use an app for that as well.
    thank you so much for the suggestion! I think the walking sounds good for me. id also like to do reasonable toning exercises at home because going to a gym isnt something I can manage with my work schedule unfortunately. .

Met my BFF | 12.2006   
    Dating my BFF | 10.25.08
    Engaged  to  him | 1.1.14
    Marrying my BFF | 5.3.15
    & Happily spending the
    rest of my days being MRS.RAJAB

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Toning is actually great for doing at home because you can do it while you watch tv.

For toning your arms I definitely recommend this - http://www.bride2befitness.com/2013/04/the-wedding-dress-workout-incredible.html

Walking will help tone your legs but so will squats

This woman also does tones of exercise videos that cater to a variety of fitness levels and are pretty fun.  http://www.blogilates.com/workout-video-index/

If you look around Hulu or Youtube, you can usually find little videos.  

• cthuyncthuyn member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    I go to a Nike Training Club group workout class at my school, and I feel it has helped me get into the best shape I've been in a long time. If you can't find a class offered near you, there's also an app with various workout options depending on your goals. A lot of them suggest using light weights, but you can do all the exercises without weights too and still be challenged. I also do TRX, which is also a good strength-training workout, and less sweat-inducing than Nike.
  • I completely agree with what @astrojax has said. As a kinesiology minor, it bothers me that people just assume a ton of cardio will help you lose weight, get fit, and as you say "tone" without getting bulky. Make sure you are balancing cardio and weight training (weights build muscle and muscle burns fat). Do some research into the proper way to lift. Astro's book suggestion is a good start. Don't get into a "routine" either. That will make you plateau faster. I usually run 5k or bike 20k every other day for my cardio and then on my weight days I do about 5-15 mins cardio (usually elliptical) to warm up my body and then alternate through target areas (one day might be all abs and legs work outs, next day may be arms, another may be shoulders and back, etc.). Balance is key and by all means eat enough. 

Contrary to what most people in our day and age believe, food can be our friend and not our enemy. Eat the right foods. You need good carbs for those cardio heavy days and protein for those weight training days. By all means, don't deprive yourself of those "guilty pleasures" either. If you deprive yourself, you are more likely to binge later. When I crave ice cream, I eat ice cream but I'll watch my portions and give myself a cup full instead of a big whopping bowl or if I want to order some deep fried pickles at the restaurant, I will but I'll keep that in mind and watch what I eat in the following days. I love to cook and I love to eat. I am a huge foodie and I found I am a lot happier and have a much easier time managing my weight now that I don't deprive myself.

Now onto skin:
    I have always had a problem with oily and sensitive skin so I can feel your pain. I always shower immediately after a workout and I follow a strict skin care routine. FI is always commenting on how smooth my skin because of it and my mom raves about my skin since I started my routine. She's even copying me! lol. Estee Lauder has some great products but they can be quite pricey. My products range from pricey to mid-range.

In the morning - wash your face with a cleanser (I use biotherm 3-in-1 gentle cleanser), toner (I use keihl's from their oil-free line. I love, love, LOVE keihl's), eye cream (again, I use keihl's "eye alert". make sure you gently pat it under and around with your ring fingers),  skin serum (I use vichy or olay), daytime moisturizer (I use keihl's "ultra facial lotion" from their oil-free line), and sunscreen (again, I use keihl's because I'm a serious sucker for them and it's oil-free too. haha). If I put on make-up for the day, I always use a primer first (the one I use is lancome).

In the evening - remove make-up (lancome has some good removers or olive oil is great for removing eye make-up), wash face with a cleanser then I alternate using a scrub or a mask (I have an amazing scrub I use from the blue lagoon that I got in Iceland. I actually order it online now because I love it so much!), toner, eye cream (I use keihl's "creamy eye treatment with avocado". It feels sooo nice if you keep it in the fridge and lasts forever cuz it's so thick and you don't have to use a lot), serum, night cream (I use elizabeth arden "Intervene" night cream. LOVE it!).

This is just what I do and I find it has worked miracles so I hope some of this helps!!! :)

Anniversary

BabyFruit Ticker

• Ugggghhhh you are already married.

You looked a certain way on your wedding day, which already happened.  Congratulations!  You're married, and I'm sure you looked beautiful even if not at your perfect ideal weight.

I.just.can't.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

• @JCbride2015, how do you know she's already married? Her ticker said May 3rd 2015... did I miss a PPD post somewhere?

Anniversary

BabyFruit Ticker

• @JCbride2015, how do you know she's already married? Her ticker said May 3rd 2015... did I miss a PPD post somewhere?
    Yes.  It's in the Snarky Brides (but you're already married) and in her post on CC about what your Fi should be involved in.  They've been married for several months-- or years?  It's unclear.  But they are definitely married and she went on a tirade about how she deserves her DREAM day to be all about ME, capital letters included.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

• I highly reccommend the bridealicious bootcamp DVD's from Doug Rice fitness. I am already in the best shape of my life and my wedding is not until July. I could not be happier with the results. Trust me and you will not regret this decision. Congrats on realizing that instead of just "losing weight" you should immediately focus on toning!!
    Yes.  It's in the Snarky Brides (but you're already married) and in her post on CC about what your Fi should be involved in.  They've been married for several months-- or years?  It's unclear.  But they are definitely married and she went on a tirade about how she deserves her DREAM day to be all about ME, capital letters included.

Ahhhh, shoot! I missed that one!!! Darn me and my getting ready to move!

Anniversary

BabyFruit Ticker

•  

@JCbride2015, how do you know she's already married? Her ticker said May 3rd 2015... did I miss a PPD post somewhere?

Yep, I came over here just to hear her nonsense continue.
  • Do as much as you can. Example had a chocolate fix so got chocolate cream pie yogurt if you can.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards