Wedding Etiquette Forum

S/O: Waiting to leave a wedding until after the cake cutting

This came up in my other thread, which doesn't need to be re-hashed, but there was disagreement as to whether it is proper etiquette or merely tradition to wait to leave a wedding until after the cake cutting.  I think that, barring unforeseen circumstances such as a medical or childcare issue that arises at the wedding (or the wedding is going on much longer than normal and you need to leave to get to work early the next morning, etc.), it is impolite to leave a wedding until after the cake is cut.  I see it similar to going to dinner at someone's house and leaving before the last course is served without telling the host in advance that you needed to leave early for [x] reason (or again, an unforeseen circumstance arises).  Other posters said that is merely tradition and not an etiquette issue.  Thoughts?

Re: S/O: Waiting to leave a wedding until after the cake cutting

• I vote tradition.  Sometimes the cake isn't cut for hours and I don't think guests need to be held hostage for cake.  When the cake cutting is held til towards the end like that it isn't the same as waiting for the dessert course to be served because a host wouldn't hold dessert off too long.  It would follow the meal.
  • I've seen some posters on the other board mention how the bride and groom cut the cake during the earlier pats of the reception. 

Live fast, die young. Bad Girls do it well. Suki Zuki.

• AlexisA01 said:
    I've seen some posters on the other board mention how the bride and groom cut the cake during the earlier pats of the reception. 
    This is what my girls have done at their receptions.  They actually cut their cakes during the cocktail hour so it could be plated for dessert with dinner.
  • I always viewed (as has my circle) the cake cutting as your cue that it's close to time to go home. That being said, tradition.
  • Tradition. I'm sorry, but if I am not having a good time or am tired and am ready to go home, I am going home, and I don't think that's impolite to do.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • phiraphira member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    I know that a lot of guests who don't want to wait till the very end of the night to go home will look for the cake cutting as a signal that it's okay to leave. So we're actually going to make it clear that we're NOT cutting the cake during the reception (it'll be entirely cut and plated and served; we're just skipping cutting it in front of people). So people know they can leave after dinner if they want.
    Anniversary
    now with ~* INCREASED SASSINESS *~
  • phira said:

I know that a lot of guests who don't want to wait till the very end of the night to go home will look for the cake cutting as a signal that it's okay to leave. So we're actually going to make it clear that we're NOT cutting the cake during the reception (it'll be entirely cut and plated and served; we're just skipping cutting it in front of people). So people know they can leave after dinner if they want.

This. You said it better than I did.
  • This came up in my other thread, which doesn't need to be re-hashed, but there was disagreement as to whether it is proper etiquette or merely tradition to wait to leave a wedding until after the cake cutting.  I think that, barring unforeseen circumstances such as a medical or childcare issue that arises at the wedding (or the wedding is going on much longer than normal and you need to leave to get to work early the next morning, etc.), it is impolite to leave a wedding until after the cake is cut.  I see it similar to going to dinner at someone's house and leaving before the last course is served without telling the host in advance that you needed to leave early for [x] reason (or again, an unforeseen circumstance arises).  Other posters said that is merely tradition and not an etiquette issue.  Thoughts?
    This is a tradition.  There is no etiquette rule for how long someone has to stay at an event.  It is traditional in some - not all - circles for the cutting of the cake to be seen as a signal that an event is winding down.

• kmmssg said:
    AlexisA01 said:
    I've seen some posters on the other board mention how the bride and groom cut the cake during the earlier parts of the reception. 
    This is what my girls have done at their receptions.  They actually cut their cakes during the cocktail hour so it could be plated for dessert with dinner.
    I remember you mentioning this. Many others have done so as well after they walk in and the first dance.

Live fast, die young. Bad Girls do it well. Suki Zuki.

• As we ALL told you in the other thread, it is NOT rude to leave early. You just din't want to listen to any of us. Your guest has another WEDDDING to attend, they aren't merely choosing to leave early to sit and home and play video games
  • I had never heard of cutting the cake hours before it would be eaten until I came to TK. I don't get the point of that at all. There is no rational or logical reasons for that, unless it has to do with the pictures, maybe?

It's definitely a cue in my circle to start getting your things together to leave. However if an emergency arises and you gotta leave before the cake is cut... then you gotta leave. Life happens. There is no one holding anyone hostage until the cake is cut, it's just a cue that it's almost time to wrap things up.
  • kmmssg said:
    AlexisA01 said:
    I've seen some posters on the other board mention how the bride and groom cut the cake during the earlier pats of the reception. 
    My Venue MADE me cut it before dinner started for that very reason...I guess at MY wedding a guest who left before dinner wouldnt have been rude by those standards! LMAO
  • I had never heard of cutting the cake hours before it would be eaten until I came to TK. I don't get the point of that at all. There is no rational or logical reasons for that, unless it has to do with the pictures, maybe?

It's definitely a cue in my circle to start getting your things together to leave. However if an emergency arises and you gotta leave before the cake is cut... then you gotta leave. Life happens. There is no one holding anyone hostage until the cake is cut, it's just a cue that it's almost time to wrap things up.
    At my wedding, the wedding venue required us to cut it right before dinner (or have first entree or something like that) because it was being served as the dessert immediately following dinner. They wanted to have time to cut it and prepare the servings. so it wasn't necessarily hours earlier. we had a dessert buffet so our cake was really eaten immediately after dinner, then the dessert buffet opened a little while after that.
  • LabLove86LabLove86 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited May 2014
    Personally - when the time comes - if any of our invitees are able to make it to any part of our day we will both be happy to see them and excited that they wanted to share in our day with us. From ceremony until the end of the reception - or for the 30 minutes somewhere in between they are able to make it. 

People are busy - and if they make any amount of time to come and celebrate with us - we'll appreciate it.

ETA - I want cake now too . . . 
                                    Daisypath Wedding tickers

At my wedding, the wedding venue required us to cut it right before dinner (or have first entree or something like that) because it was being served as the dessert immediately following dinner. They wanted to have time to cut it and prepare the servings. so it wasn't necessarily hours earlier. we had a dessert buffet so our cake was really eaten immediately after dinner, then the dessert buffet opened a little while after that.
    I've done and seen literally hundreds of event cakes, including wedding cakes, being cut, plated and served. It shouldn't take that much time. I honestly think your venue just has a time management problem lol.
    It could also be a regional/area/circle thing, maybe? Dessert, including cake, is served towards the end of the evening and never immediately following dinner, when guests are too full to even look at cake.
  • indianaalumindianaalum member
    5 Love Its First Comment First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited May 2014
    I had never heard of cutting the cake hours before it would be eaten until I came to TK. I don't get the point of that at all. There is no rational or logical reasons for that, unless it has to do with the pictures, maybe?

I've done and seen literally hundreds of event cakes, including wedding cakes, being cut, plated and served. It shouldn't take that much time. I honestly think your venue just has a time management problem lol.
    It could also be a regional/area/circle thing, maybe? Dessert, including cake, is served towards the end of the evening and never immediately following dinner, when guests are too full to even look at cake.
    It doesn't seem uncommon around here, so not sure. I have certainly seen others do it the way we did, so I didn't think twice about it. It really didn't matter to me, so it certainly wasn't something I was going to argue about with my venue. I personally wanted dessert right after dinner due to pacing. We also did a huge dessert buffet a little while after dinner,...and then a late night snack after that, so we pretty much had to serve the cake (which was included in our package) immediately after dinner for pacing purposes. 

I certainly didn't worry about whether that meant my guests felt the need to leave earlier. I am pretty people are going to leave whenever the heck they feel like leaving. I couldn't tell you when a single person left my wedding as I was busy socializing with my many guests. If people chose to seek me out and say goodbye, that would have been fine, but most just sneak out as they may which is fine by me, as there was no "etiquette" rules at my wedding requiring people to stay longer than they liked
  • In my family, and pretty much every other wedding I've attended, it's always been tradition for the couple to cut the cake at the end of dinner and before their first dance.

We tend to serve dinner at 5:00, so the cake is usually cut around 6:00 or 6:30, depending on whether it's a plated dinner or a buffet with lines. The first dance is usually at 6:30 or 7:00, so some people stay to enjoy cake and watch the first dance. Then, from about 7:30 onward, it's party time.
  • As we ALL told you in the other thread, it is NOT rude to leave early. You just din't want to listen to any of us. Your guest has another WEDDING to attend, they aren't merely choosing to leave early to sit and home and play video games
    Ha! I love when there's another side to the story and someone gets busted for it.
  • CrazyCatLady3CrazyCatLady3 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment First Answer
    edited May 2014
    Please, there's no "busting."  I was asking for opinions on the cake cutting issue because that's how I've always seen it and I was curious as to the prevailing view.  This may not be universal as it sounds like a lot of people have cake cuttings at different points in their receptions.  I'm not new here but I don't get why so many people feel the need to play "gotcha" and jump on people.  

• Fair enough. It just seemed odd to leave the back story out because, honestly, it depends on the circumstances.

Although, to be fair, it's not rude to leave right after dinner, so I guess that's pretty moot too. Nobody needs a reason.
  • I think it's purely tradition. Whether it's rude to leave before depends on when the cake is cut. If the cake is cut right after dinner, toasts and spotlight dances are finished, I think it's polite to at least hang around for that. If there's going to be an hour of dancing between those other events and the cake cutting, I don't think it's rude for guests to leave if they aren't having a good time.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• ei34ei34 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    It's tradition, not etiquette. I've never attended a wedding where the cake wasn't cut towards the end, right before dessert/Viennese hour, but I've seen other guests leaving at various points during the reception. There's not a rule that says guests have to stay until the end. I've left crummy weddings right after dinner, as well as really fun weddings where I'm simply tired.
  • rajahmdrajahmd member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment First Answer
    This is why I really wanted to cut the cake first thing. DH didn't want to, as he's used to the tradition where cake cutting = you can leave now. So we did it as dinner was winding down, together with toasts. We had stations, so there wasn't a set time, more so when the DJ felt most people were finishing eating. We did the toasts, cut the cake, then they served while people mingled some more. Then we danced (though people had been dancing during dinner, which I thought was hysterical).
    Anniversary
  • I think once the ceremony is complete it is tradition, not etiquette. If you leave in the middle of the ceremony, that a breach of etiquette. If you leave the reception, which is thank you for attending the ceremony, before the cake is cut then you are breaking tradition.
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• I've never been to a wedding where the cake was cut later in the night.  So people eat, get up and run around, and then come back later to sit down for cake? That's odd to me. I want cake when I'm done eating my dinner! Once I'm up, I'm up.
  • Your guests can leave whenever the hell they want to leave.  We had a few guests leave before we cut the cake because they had other obligations to attend to.  It wasn't a big deal.  If guests want to leave right after dinner or after cocktail hour or even after the ceremony that is their prerogative.  

•      I usually leave after the cake cutting, because I want cake! I'm not a big party-er so I bail soon after. 

I did leave once before the cake cutting. It was one of my many cousins weddings.  Ceremony was at 4 with dinner in the same location. (a country club) However, the bride and groom took 2 hours for pictures. I have no idea why since they didn't go anywhere, you could see them taking pictures from the windows of the reception room. She does have a huge immediate family. During this time there was only a cash bar available and no food. 

Then they had to announce families and bridal party. They did a first dance. By the time dinner was served it was 7. I waited around until 9 for the cake cutting, but left when it hadn't happened yet. There was cake there, maybe it was there for looks and they weren't actually cutting it? We didn't have desert yet either by this time. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards