Snarky Brides
Options

.......But you're already married......(?)

Re: .......But you're already married......(?)

• Options
    Marzipan13Marzipan13 member
    First Comment 5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited May 2014
    I think you're confusing the definitions of "wedding", "marriage", and "reception", mrsRAJAB.

ETF: username, not OP.  Sorry, OP.  It's Friday morning and my brain just won't work.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Mr. Bean Flipping the Bird
  • Options
    I'd like to add, @MrsRAJAB, that in addition to completing a WEDDING at the courthouse 5 years ago, you also committed fraud. That's what it's called when people get legally married for the sole purpose of obtaining spousal benefits. If you didn't, and you really got married because you love each other and wanted a legally-binding commitment, then congratulations! Should have had the celebration then, not 5 years later.

If you're planning anything now, it should be a vow renewal. NOT a wedding.

• Options

@CMGragain - I guess if I wanted to play the blame game for my "entitlement issues", I can blame the industry. None of my posts have negated anyone's form of marriage, over the top with all the frills- in a courthouse or in a potato sack in the backyard. I just don't understand why everyone else is being so judgmental for women who want a reception/wedding?

@ohannabelle - going by your sad feelings from my last SHALLOW paragraph, I think it would be safe to assume that your pre-wedding errands didn't involve you going dress shopping, getting a beautiful white dress, and getting all made up for your wedding day? And if you did, what was your reason for doing all of this if you didn't want a little bit of spotlight? Or feel a little more special than you should already feel any day? Keep in mind also, I never said the SOLE PURPOSE of a wedding was to get your moments of attention. All I was stating, in my opinion, was that most women want those moments that you don't get everyday and I feel that every woman should feel ESPECIALLY special on this day beginning a new life together with her SO. I've been focused on my SO since we started dating and I was thinking about our lifelong commitment since the moment he asked me to marry him.. I'm just saying..

@marzipan13 - no, actually I know the definition of all 3. ;)

@shaylagirl - "First, congrats on your WEDDING that you had at the COURTHOUSE!!!  You're married already.  In your own words "The documentation and ceremony were done within an hour!"  Uhm...so you're DONE.  LEGALLY BINDING and all that shit." - I WAS married in a courthouse. I didn't plan my WEDDING in a courthouse. Let me ask you a question, maybe this might make better sense. Do you ever say, HEY, IM INVITING YOU TO MY MARRIAGE? no, you say IM INVITING YOU TO MY WEDDING. Therefore, I haven't had a WEDDING, I was simply married by a JP. So @ my wedding, I wont actually have a ceremony.

I don't want to get into the rest of your paragraph because in all honesty, it has nothing to do with what I said. You have no idea my view on everyone's HUMAN RIGHTS and you can assume about those views all you'd like.

"So seriously, you bitching, pissing and moaning that you had to do the JP thing for medical insurance?" - I wasn't complaining at all about having to get married at a CH. I'm happy with the decisions I made that was suitable for my situation in life.

And again, speaking about consequences.. I still don't understand how getting married in CH reaps consequences.

"Those consequences being you don't get the big, fluffy white dress, or the cake or all the other frills that go along with a marriage." - This blew my mind. Because I never knew a marriage involved big fluffy white dresses like yours! I thought that was what WEDDINGS were for..

I'll give you one thing though, I should've stated this a bit better, your absolutely correct, the WEDDING/RECEPTION IS about both BRIDE and GROOM. This is a life changing moment in BOTH of their lives.

The traditions of the past shouldn't even come up in this topic because to be frank, MANY THINGS besides wedding traditions have changed throughout CENTURIES. And to answer your question, it doesn't make them any less married. As it doesn't make a woman who wants to have a WEDDING after already being legally MARRIED any less DESERVING of one.

and lastly,

@lolo883 - If you would've read my initial post correctly, I stated I married my SO that I have been with for 5+ years, not that I have been married for 5+ years. We were and are in love and wanted to solidify our commitment. We have only been married for almost 2 months..

OH and THANKS FOR YOUR COMMENT ON MY OTHER TOPIC POST! very mature of you! >=)

Met my BFF | 12.2006   
    Dating my BFF | 10.25.08
    Engaged  to  him | 1.1.14
    Marrying my BFF | 5.3.15
    & Happily spending the
    rest of my days being MRS.RAJAB

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    mrsRAJAB said:

This post hit home a little for me... and not in a good way.

I married my SO of 5+ years in CH in March because of a medical condition I have and lack of medical coverage. Keep in mind, I work full time (45 hours a week) and still couldn't afford to carry myself with the plans my job offered either. I also was unable to afford what the government had to offer.

I live in NY and our CH didn't ask us to walk down any aisle, didn't ask if we had any vows to share, my father didn't give me away and I definitely didn't have "wedding day jitters".

We both wore nice attire and took a couple pictures together and with our parents who came with us as witnesses. The documentation and ceremony were done within an hour!

With that said, I am planning a WEDDING next May.

A wedding is an EVENT and a MARRIAGE is a commitment and a legally binding agreement. What you do in CH is NOT what every girl dreams of.. I am sorry but this is IMO.

I think every woman deserves a DAY in her life where she is center of attention, where she feels like all eyes are on her and everyone is excited for her new life event. After all, lets be honest, the bride does a lot of work to plan a wedding and shells out a lot of money for GUESTS to celebrate with HER. Its only right she has her CENTER OF THE UNIVERSE moment. This has NOTHING  to do with being entitled because EVERY woman planning a wedding, married already or not, wants to have that moment.

I think it was unfair of the poster to put what she put on her FB "friends" status because I don't feel she realized that her "friend" probably did the CH thing first because of benefits she would need or receive from her SO being in the service. And TBH that's the way ALOT of military girlfriends do it. It sometimes is the only way it will work for the couples.

After all, would any of you ladies appreciate someone trying to spoil a day (which you would hope only happens ONCE) you've been looking forward to for quite some time?

Just giving this thread an opinion from the other side of the coin....

Well bully for you.  Never heard any of that before.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    KGold80KGold80 member
    First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    mrsRAJAB said:

@CMGragain - I guess if I wanted to play the blame game for my "entitlement issues", I can blame the industry. None of my posts have negated anyone's form of marriage, over the top with all the frills- in a courthouse or in a potato sack in the backyard. I just don't understand why everyone else is being so judgmental for women who want a reception/wedding?

@ohannabelle - going by your sad feelings from my last SHALLOW paragraph, I think it would be safe to assume that your pre-wedding errands didn't involve you going dress shopping, getting a beautiful white dress, and getting all made up for your wedding day? And if you did, what was your reason for doing all of this if you didn't want a little bit of spotlight? Or feel a little more special than you should already feel any day? Keep in mind also, I never said the SOLE PURPOSE of a wedding was to get your moments of attention. All I was stating, in my opinion, was that most women want those moments that you don't get everyday and I feel that every woman should feel ESPECIALLY special on this day beginning a new life together with her SO. I've been focused on my SO since we started dating and I was thinking about our lifelong commitment since the moment he asked me to marry him.. I'm just saying..

@marzipan13 - no, actually I know the definition of all 3. ;)

@shaylagirl - "First, congrats on your WEDDING that you had at the COURTHOUSE!!!  You're married already.  In your own words "The documentation and ceremony were done within an hour!"  Uhm...so you're DONE.  LEGALLY BINDING and all that shit." - I WAS married in a courthouse. I didn't plan my WEDDING in a courthouse. Let me ask you a question, maybe this might make better sense. Do you ever say, HEY, IM INVITING YOU TO MY MARRIAGE? no, you say IM INVITING YOU TO MY WEDDING. Therefore, I haven't had a WEDDING, I was simply married by a JP. So @ my wedding, I wont actually have a ceremony.

I don't want to get into the rest of your paragraph because in all honesty, it has nothing to do with what I said. You have no idea my view on everyone's HUMAN RIGHTS and you can assume about those views all you'd like.

"So seriously, you bitching, pissing and moaning that you had to do the JP thing for medical insurance?" - I wasn't complaining at all about having to get married at a CH. I'm happy with the decisions I made that was suitable for my situation in life.

And again, speaking about consequences.. I still don't understand how getting married in CH reaps consequences.

"Those consequences being you don't get the big, fluffy white dress, or the cake or all the other frills that go along with a marriage." - This blew my mind. Because I never knew a marriage involved big fluffy white dresses like yours! I thought that was what WEDDINGS were for..

I'll give you one thing though, I should've stated this a bit better, your absolutely correct, the WEDDING/RECEPTION IS about both BRIDE and GROOM. This is a life changing moment in BOTH of their lives.

The traditions of the past shouldn't even come up in this topic because to be frank, MANY THINGS besides wedding traditions have changed throughout CENTURIES. And to answer your question, it doesn't make them any less married. As it doesn't make a woman who wants to have a WEDDING after already being legally MARRIED any less DESERVING of one.

and lastly,

@lolo883 - If you would've read my initial post correctly, I stated I married my SO that I have been with for 5+ years, not that I have been married for 5+ years. We were and are in love and wanted to solidify our commitment. We have only been married for almost 2 months..

OH and THANKS FOR YOUR COMMENT ON MY OTHER TOPIC POST! very mature of you! >=)

#1 Don't type in little bitty font.

#2 that bolded red part really bugs me. Why? Because you say it's the wedding & reception that are life changing experiences for the bride and groom. How exactly is throwing a party a life changing experience? To me, it sounds like THAT is more important to you than the day you actually got married.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    A wedding is the act of getting married. The dictionary defines wedding as "the act or ceremony of marrying."  There it is. People keep trying to change the definition, but you can't rewrite the language to suit yourself. 

And this:
    "I think every woman deserves a DAY in her life where she is center of attention, where she feels like all eyes are on her and everyone is excited for her new life event. After all, lets be honest, the bride does a lot of work to plan a wedding and shells out a lot of money for GUESTS to celebrate with HER. Its only right she has her CENTER OF THE UNIVERSE moment. This hasNOTHING  to do with being entitled because EVERY woman planning a wedding, married already or not, wants to have that moment."

I find this shallow and sad. Marriage isn't about being the center of attention, or pretending that you're the center of the universe. This is what every two year old wants for their birthday party. And no, not every woman wants that center of attention moment. Some women are actually focused on their partner, and thinking about the lifelong commitment they're making. You know, that thing called marriage. It is adult behavior, and has nothing to do with being the center of the universe and basking in attention. 

But I WAAAANNNNTTTT!!!
    Anniversary
  • Options
    huskypuppy14huskypuppy14 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited May 2014
    Molly&Domenic said: mrsRAJAB said: @shaylagirl - "First, congrats on your WEDDING that you had at the COURTHOUSE!!!  You're married already.  In your own words "The documentation and ceremony were done within an hour!"  Uhm...so you're DONE.  LEGALLY BINDING and all that shit." - I WAS married in a courthouse. I didn't plan my WEDDING in a courthouse. Let me ask you a question, maybe this might make better sense. Do you ever say, HEY, IM INVITING YOU TO MY MARRIAGE? no, you say IM INVITING YOU TO MY WEDDING. Therefore, I haven't had a WEDDING, I was simply married by a JP. So @ my wedding, I wont actually have a ceremony.

I'm not trying to jump into an argument, and I truly do wish you all the best as you enjoy newly married life. But... No one says "I'm inviting you to my marriage," because the marriage is the state of being married. Inviting someone into that sounds like you want a threesome. 
    A wedding is the day you wed, or marry, the person you want to have a marriage with. It's not what you planned, and honestly I could not care less if you decide to have a celebration. I actually don't even care that you wear the white poofy dress. Just call it what it is. It's a very early vow renewal or it's a celebration of marriage. Both of those things are ok to have. It's not a wedding anymore, but you can still have just as much fun. :)

But that's besides the point, because a wedding is the event where you get married. It also includes the reception, because you are supposed to thank those who attended your marriage ceremony. The reception is not all about you, it's for your guests as well. 

Now, it's fine if you want to have a party next year to celebrate your marriage, no one has a problem with that, but it's not a wedding.

ETA: Where did the box go??

• Options
    MollyandDMollyandD member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited May 2014
    mrsRAJAB said:

I'm not trying to jump into an argument, and I truly do wish you all the best as you enjoy newly married life. But... No one says "I'm inviting you to my marriage," because the marriage is the state of being married. Inviting someone into that sounds like you want a threesome. 

A wedding is the day you wed, or marry, the person you want to have a marriage with. It's not what you planned, and honestly I could not care less if you decide to have a celebration. I actually don't even care that you wear the white poofy dress. Just call it what it is. It's a very early vow renewal or it's a celebration of marriage. Both of those things are ok to have. It's not a wedding anymore, but you can still have just as much fun. :)

I agree with Molly, but on our invitations and on our Save the Dates they say marriage not wedding "...request the pleasure of your company at the marriage....' and 'Save the date for the marriage of...'

But that's besides the point, because a wedding is the event where you get married. It also includes the reception, because you are supposed to thank those who attended your marriage ceremony. The reception is not all about you, it's for your guests as well. 

Now, it's fine if you want to have a party next year to celebrate your marriage, no one has a problem with that, but it's not a wedding.

ETA: Where did the box go??
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The wording you are using sounds fine to me. Something about "invite you to my marriage" sounds creepy. 
  • Options
    RajahBMFD said:

Ha! I was closer to being the center of attention today as I graduated from medical school than I was on our wedding day.

Thank goodness I didn't have to share the spotlight with that obnoxious husband of mine. Today was all about ME and my M.D. Take that all you special snowflake brides & grooms!

But you didn't wear a big white poofy dress to your graduation ceremony today so it doesn't count. ;)
  • Options
    Cookie PusherCookie Pusher member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited May 2014
    mrsRAJAB said:

I think every woman deserves a DAY in her life where she is center of attention, where she feels like all eyes are on her and everyone is excited for her new life event. After all, lets be honest, the bride does a lot of work to plan a wedding and shells out a lot of money for GUESTS to celebrate with HER. Its only right she has her CENTER OF THE UNIVERSE moment. This has NOTHING  to do with being entitled because EVERY woman planning a wedding, married already or not, wants to have that moment.

Nope, I don't want any kind of "moment". I would, however, love to have a new car. Or more wine. Can I get that instead?
    ~*~*~*~*~

• Options
    CC0805CC0805 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    I'm sorry, but I disagree. Very good friends of our who have been together for ever, have a child together, and have been trying to save up for a wedding have just decided they don't want to wait anymore. They love each other, and they want to acknowledge that. Tomorrow they are going to the CH to get married. They invited all their close friends and family to watch, but understand that not everyone can make it. They still want a chance to celebrate their marriage with their friends and families, so they will be having a 2nd wedding in the summer. They will be having a 2nd ceremony as well so those of us that couldn't be there for the CH can still watch them say their vows and commit to each other. As a close friend I'm glad their having the 2nd wedding! I want to be able to celebrate her marriage with them, I want to watch her walk down the aisle, I want to watch them say their vows, I want to party with them all night, and I know the rest of our group feels the same. all have every intention of of attending, and giving them a gift to thank them for the reception and congratulate them on their wedding. And I'm sure that if anyone actually has a problem with it, they simply won't come. Them being married already isn't some big secret, they aren't lying yo us about the summer wedding, instead they are giving us the chance to celebrate with them. And really, if you already know the couple is married in advance, the PPD isn't really a lie. The same holds true for @mrsrajab in no way is she lying to her guests if she has been open about her marriage, she just seems to want the chance to celebrate that marriage with her friends and family. And furthermore, it isn't fair to personsally attack someone for the choices they make just because they differ from yours. It also isn't fair to lump everyone who chooses to have a 2nd wedding with friends/family together. Everyone is different and you can't assume to know everyone's situations. You can disagree, respectfully, and leave it at that, as I am sure many will disagree with what I am saying. You are entitled to your opinion, as I am entitled to mine, and as mrsrajab is entitled to hers.
  • Options
    CC0805CC0805 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    Not a vow renewal since they won't be saying vows at the CH.
  • Options
    APDSS22APDSS22 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    CC0805 said:
    But they will already be married, so they cannot be wed again until divorce or death end their marriage.  Classy people would just throw a party to celebrate their marriage, but since they're going to say vows to each other, it becomes a much-too-early vow renewal.  They do have to certify that they are legally free to wed, that's the part with the "vows" when going to the courthouse to get married.  If a couple want to say vows to each other, they can promise whatever they would like in the privacy of their car on the way there, while waiting in line or afterward as they like.
  • Options
    CC0805 said:
    I'm sorry, but I disagree. Very good friends of our who have been together for ever, have a child together, and have been trying to save up for a wedding have just decided they don't want to wait anymore. They love each other, and they want to acknowledge that. Tomorrow they are going to the CH to get married. They invited all their close friends and family to watch, but understand that not everyone can make it. They still want a chance to celebrate their marriage with their friends and families, so they will be having a 2nd wedding in the summer. They will be having a 2nd ceremony as well so those of us that couldn't be there for the CH can still watch them say their vows and commit to each other. As a close friend I'm glad their having the 2nd wedding! I want to be able to celebrate her marriage with them, I want to watch her walk down the aisle, I want to watch them say their vows, I want to party with them all night, and I know the rest of our group feels the same. all have every intention of of attending, and giving them a gift to thank them for the reception and congratulate them on their wedding. And I'm sure that if anyone actually has a problem with it, they simply won't come. Them being married already isn't some big secret, they aren't lying yo us about the summer wedding, instead they are giving us the chance to celebrate with them. And really, if you already know the couple is married in advance, the PPD isn't really a lie. The same holds true for @mrsrajab in no way is she lying to her guests if she has been open about her marriage, she just seems to want the chance to celebrate that marriage with her friends and family. And furthermore, it isn't fair to personsally attack someone for the choices they make just because they differ from yours. It also isn't fair to lump everyone who chooses to have a 2nd wedding with friends/family together. Everyone is different and you can't assume to know everyone's situations. You can disagree, respectfully, and leave it at that, as I am sure many will disagree with what I am saying. You are entitled to your opinion, as I am entitled to mine, and as mrsrajab is entitled to hers.
    Look, I'm glad they aren't lying to you.  But they'll be married at the CH.  What you are attending isn't a wedding.

It's not as rude without the lying.  But I would still massively side-eye this.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

• Options
    CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited May 2014
    Most of the world's population does not say vows at their wedding.  It is only in western Europe and North and South America where the bride and groom actually say anything at their wedding.
    Are you saying that only Christian modeled marriages are valid?
    At the courthouse, the bride and groom sign the legal documents that make them married.  This can also be done at a church or other venue.  It is what marries or weds two people.  Without a license and the signing of the marriage certificate, there is no wedding.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Options
    CC0805 said:
    Then what is it that they'll be DOING at the courthouse if they're not saying vows and committing to one another?
  • Options
    I think it's hilarious that she took her speshul self over to "Getting In Shape" - check out the thread "Where do I start on this GETTING FIT FOR THIS DRESS journey..?"

Snark is truth.  Snark is life.  Amen.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Mr. Bean Flipping the Bird
  • Options
    CC0805 said:
    Then what is it that they'll be DOING at the courthouse if they're not saying vows and committing to one another?

UGH. STUCK IN THE BOX - We didn't say anything to each other at the CH. We affirmed the info we wrote down was true, signed, paid and left. CO is self solemnizing though, so technically no witnesses were needed nor any officiant or hoopla. Technically we could have taken the paperwork wherever we felt like it, still said nothing, signed then returned it. But don't assume because someone signs a legal document any vows are being said. Or anything at all for that matter.
  • Options
    CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited May 2014
    CC0805 said:

UGH. STUCK IN THE BOX - We didn't say anything to each other at the CH. We affirmed the info we wrote down was true, signed, paid and left. CO is self solemnizing though, so technically no witnesses were needed nor any officiant or hoopla. Technically we could have taken the paperwork wherever we felt like it, still said nothing, signed then returned it. But don't assume because someone signs a legal document any vows are being said. Or anything at all for that matter.
    Most of the world does not say vows at a wedding.  Asian couples are  married silently.  Orthodox couples have a silent ceremony.  Saying vows does not make you legally married.  Signing the paperwork does.  This is why you get only ONE wedding.  You can say vows to each other every day for the rest of your life, but you are only married to each other ONCE.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards