Wedding Reception Forum

How to Kiss during the reception?

We are against the clinking of the glasses... and looking for other ideas.  My FI said the last wedding he went to, there was a "kissing jar" (ie, for money!) and the more money donated, the bigger the kiss... I said NO, not debatable, not doing! 

So now I have to come up with another idea, because that's all he's got!  What have you ladies seen or done, or what's your plan?  Thanks!
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: How to Kiss during the reception?

• I was just watching four weddings and saw a couple who had their guests seranade them with songs featuring the word 'Love' at their sweetheart table for a kiss. Got the guests up, involved more than a glass clink, and from what I could see/the comments made, guests seemed to enjoy it. IDK if you or your friends enjoy karaoke, but I can't wait to share the idea with my FH bc he is a karaoke NERD! loves it!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I've been to weddings where the placecards were held by little tiny bells and people rang the bells.
  • we didnt have a plan.   Some people did clink the glass on their own.  We kissed, but it was only a few times.   Rest of the time we weren't even near each other.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • We have something cute and sarcastic in our programs for the reception about not clinking the glasses.  They have to come to our table and sing us a song with the word "love" in it. I stole this from offbeat brides, but I hate the clinking of the glasses!

June 1, 2013 - finally making it official!

• All I have to say is thank goodness the glass clinking only happened twice at our wedding. I would have ignored it after that.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I don't think this is worth even contemplating. People will clink their glasses to get you to kiss regardless of what you try to get them to do instead. It's an old tradition, it's really not a big deal. Putting something in your program or anywhere else telling people NOT to clink is overkill and most people will disregard it and do what they want anyway. You can't control everything at your wedding. Just relax and be a gracious host.

Anniversary
  • Ya, I'm not sure why or how you would control how people ask you to kiss... sometimes people clink glasses because it's a sign everyone knows to make people kiss.  You are overthinking this.

May 2013 February Siggy: Invitations

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_how-to-kiss-during-the-reception?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:5Discussion:420503dd-0918-46aa-835a-837d8356529dPost:e906175d-44ea-41c6-85fa-b8c07abc451c">Re: How to Kiss during the reception?</a>:
    [QUOTE]how about just kiss whenever you feel so compelled to do so?
    Posted by cmgilpin[/QUOTE]

This.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • People clink?  Kiss.

People clink again?  Ignore.

People no longer clink.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_how-to-kiss-during-the-reception?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:420503dd-0918-46aa-835a-837d8356529dPost:bbf7d7ca-efa4-4a9e-940e-4e11e432f567">Re: How to Kiss during the reception?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Anything you do will become as annoying as the clinking<strong> (especially the horrible "serenading" idea),</strong> and some people will still clink regardless. Kiss a few times to be a good sport, then ignore the clinking thereafter. The guests will get the idea.
    Posted by RetreadBride[/QUOTE]

This. Don't make your guests sing to you- so uncomfortable for other guests to watch. I can't see the outcome of something like that being cute or fun.
  • I agree with everyone who says just kiss when you want to...amuse people once with the glass clink and move on.

A funny story about the sing-a-song-with-LOVE in it thing...one of the more religious tables at a friend's wedding got up and sang the "Jesus Loves Me" children's song that every kid has sung in Sunday school.
    Nothing more romantic than that...Tongue out

• In Response to Re:How to Kiss during the reception?:[QUOTE]Plastic cups. Problem. Solved. Posted by StageManager14[/QUOTE]
    Doesn't work, where I come from people lightly pound on the tables to get the couple to kiss.
  • I was Googling this (because glass clinking would piss me off - the last wedding I went to, the couple barely got to eat for all the clinking) and I actually found a very old post here on TK that suggested, rather than your guests singing a song about love, they had to get up, go to the mic, and say their favorite memory of either or both of you. I thought it was a sweet idea, and it wouldn't be so mortifying for the tone-deafs.
  • I also hate the clinking/bell ringing. I hate wedding games, and I'm not a fan of PDA. I understand its a wedding so we have to act like we love each other but... we need a way to discourage people from clinking that doesn't involve games. I was also thinking about the donation jar (would probably go to either breast cancer or the animal rescue we got our puppy from) but it seems like that is frowned upon too. I mostly wanted to do the donation so that fewer people would instigate a kiss, rather than to raise money. Any other ideas that don't involve annoying noises, games, singing, or money? I don't like the idea of people trying to control when we kiss. And with my family, I doubt ignoring the clinking will work.
  • Jen4948Jen4948 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited May 2014
    Darn.  Zombie thread.
  • Zombie thread.  @KnotPorscha

• Pookieson said:

We have something cute and sarcastic in our programs for the reception about not clinking the glasses.  They have to come to our table and sing us a song with the word "love" in it. I stole this from offbeat brides, but I hate the clinking of the glasses!

Don't be surprised if ppl clink glasses anyways. I was at a wedding once where the couple tried to make their guests sing them a song, and that lasted all of 3 times before they all mutinied and started clinking glasses.

I'm not a fan of the make ppl sing thing because more often than not, people can't actually sing and not only is it painful to listen to, but it's painful to watch- I feel embarrassed for them.

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• Crap Zombie thread ><

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• Whats a zombie thread?
  • @Istoleahalo - a thread that is typically more then a year old that has been dragged up from the depths by posters who don't look at the date prior to posting.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards