Snarky Brides
Options

Baby's First Snark

I'm pretty sure I was born sarcastic.

Third birthday. I didn't want to have my hair brushed. I ran from my mom and refused to let her anywhere near me.

My mother, exasperated: "Sit down, you look like a heathen!"
Me, eyeballing her pajamas: "Well, you don't exactly look like a bowl of fruit yourself."

What's the first time you remember being snarky?
Daisypath Anniversary tickers
eyeroll

Re: Baby's First Snark

• Options
    When I was about 4, I misbehaved (nobody remembers in what way, probably back-talking) and my mom sent me to my room. I stomped halfway up the stairs, turned around defiantly, and yelled "I'm going because I WANT TO, NOT because you told me to!"

• Options
    When I was about 15 months old, my parents took me to see a Christmas light display that was a pretty popular local holiday destination.  They are walking down the street, with me in my little yellow snow suit perched atop my father's shoulders, when I suddenly decide to shout at the top of my lungs "What in the hell are all these damn people doing here!?"  The tale is still told each Christmas.

Not my snark, but also amusing:  When I was about 8, I learned the meaning of the phrase "yours truly" and used it rather frequently.  My little brother didn't know what it meant.  I was talking to my mom about something in the kitchen and referred to myself as "yours truly."  My 6-year-old brother walks in and says "Oh yeah, will Yours Truly is an idiot!"  I agreed and my mom couldn't stop laughing.
  • Options
    rajahmdrajahmd member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment First Answer
    I called my dad and his coworker pathetic when I was like 8 because they were goofing off at his office one day.

But that wasn't snarky- that was just bitchy.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    doeydodoeydo member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    ScoutF said:
    [My parents referred to me a 'bebe' when I was an infant/toddler.]

One night, when I was about 10 months old, I was in my crib crying. My father came in and I looked him square in the eye and said, 'Bebe want Mommy. Bebe no want you.'

Apparently, I wanted to nurse, and obvs that was a mommy-only activity, but that was also my first complete sentence.

It was followed a few days later by a very solemn query at the breakfast table, 'Mommy, where's the damn cat?'

So not only did I start speaking in bascially complete sentences, I started speaking in snarky complete sentences.
    I can't be the only one that thinks this is total BS. Ten month old babies don't speak complete sentences. Many two year olds don't do that.

Maybe her parents 'heard' her say things?  Like when Rachel and Ross heard Emma say her first word.
  • Options
    One of my daughters could speak in full sentences at 10 months. Two of them didn't do anything but grunt till they were two. The other ones were average.
  • Options
    ScoutF said:
    [My parents referred to me a 'bebe' when I was an infant/toddler.]

One night, when I was about 10 months old, I was in my crib crying. My father came in and I looked him square in the eye and said, 'Bebe want Mommy. Bebe no want you.'

Apparently, I wanted to nurse, and obvs that was a mommy-only activity, but that was also my first complete sentence.

It was followed a few days later by a very solemn query at the breakfast table, 'Mommy, where's the damn cat?'

So not only did I start speaking in bascially complete sentences, I started speaking in snarky complete sentences.
    I can't be the only one that thinks this is total BS. Ten month old babies don't speak complete sentences. Many two year olds don't do that.
    My DD was speaking in complete sentences at about a year, as apparently did I.  

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    My favourite one was always "you're not the boss of me!" when I didn't want to do something. Gave it to my babysitters, my stepmom, and even my siblings, in addition to both parents. To this day that is still whole-heartedly my mentality.
  • Options
    rsfan23rsfan23 member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment
    I'm having a hard time believing the posters who said they were talking in complete sentences at an early age, or who had children speaking in complete sentences, and I'm a parent too.  By sentences do you mean something like 'pick up' or do you mean something like 'May I have some more milk please?' If it's the first, then I understand more than the second. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    ScoutFScoutF member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    rsfan23 said:
    I'm having a hard time believing the posters who said they were talking in complete sentences at an early age, or who had children speaking in complete sentences, and I'm a parent too.  By sentences do you mean something like 'pick up' or do you mean something like 'May I have some more milk please?' If it's the first, then I understand more than the second. 
    This exactly. I highly doubt a ten month old has the comprehension skills to speak the sentences below.
     My father came in and I looked him square in the eye and said, 'Bebe want Mommy. Bebe no want you.'

• Options
    ScoutF said:

Stuck in the box.

My first words were at 7 months, and were a complete sentence.  A short one: "What's that?" ("Uzz at?")  But a complete sentence. My mom was trying to teach me the names of things and would say "What's that? That's a ____."  I picked up the question rather than the answer and would point at random things and ask what they were.
  • Options
    Yeah, sentences at 10 months are unusual but not impossible.  I didn't speak until close to a year old, but apparently I was using complete sentences pretty quickly after I started saying anything at all.

My dad taught me to read starting at age 2, and by 3 I was reading independently.  By the time I entered kindergarten, I was reading chapter books from the middle-school rooms.

This all came back to bite me in the ass later in life as an English teacher.  When you learn things that early, you don't remember how you learned it, and it's much harder to teach somebody else how to do it.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

• Options
    Yeah, sentences at 10 months are unusual but not impossible.  I didn't speak until close to a year old, but apparently I was using complete sentences pretty quickly after I started saying anything at all.

My dad taught me to read starting at age 2, and by 3 I was reading independently.  By the time I entered kindergarten, I was reading chapter books from the middle-school rooms.

This all came back to bite me in the ass later in life as an English teacher.  When you learn things that early, you don't remember how you learned it, and it's much harder to teach somebody else how to do it.
    Are you me?

I started writing stories when I was in kindergarten, because I ran out of books to read so I wanted to write my own. In college, I taught a Creative Writing class and had a hell of a time helping my students structure stories, because it just felt natural to me. Half the time, the best reason I could come up with for why something was wrong was simply "it feels like it could be better." (I, of course, found nicer ways to say it.)
    eyeroll
  • Options
    ScoutFScoutF member
    @ohannabelle @melbenso I'm not arguing about ten months old speaking short, complete sentences. I'm just calling BS on a ten month old asking her mommy where the damn cat is. 
  • Options
    ScoutF said:
    @ohannabelle @melbenso I'm not arguing about ten months old speaking short, complete sentences. I'm just calling BS on a ten month old asking her mommy where the damn cat is. 
    See, I can totally buy it. Kids parrot their parents. If Mom or Dad says "honey, where's the damn ___?" all the time, baby will probably say it too.

My childhood bestie yelled "fuck you" at a lady who was rude to her in a store, at the tender age of two. Mommy and Daddy had a talk later about that one.
    eyeroll
  • Options
    ScoutF said:

I think a baby could repeat a four word sentence. Again, frikking unusual, but impossible?
    I'm a little (a lot) prickly about calling BS on people. It simply isn't fair. My son read a story aloud once, at a school function, and one mom within earshot said to another, "Well, somebody's Mom helped with homework. No second grader could do that. That was adult writing."  And the people around her nodded. They all agreed. They were genuinely offended by the imagined deception. They sneered at me and were contemptuous of my child.  (Maybe I would have, too, had I not known him. I hope not.)

She was absolutely certain, without a single doubt, that this was an absolutely impossible thing. Sure, his teachers knew better, and I knew better. 
    But I think it's very bad form to call someone a liar, without considering that they might be the .0000001% exception.  

(Promise I'll drop it now. I talk too much, HisGirl doesn't need a defender of character, and I am successfully trying to avoid sewing. I never ever ever want to see a tulle underskirt again. Ever. It is bulky flyaway get caught in the machine parts stuff. I am bored with it. Back to work.)
    :) 
  • Options
    ScoutFScoutF member
    @inkdancer I absolutely agree with you on this. Kids do mirror their parents. But I still think it's very unlikely that a ten month old started talking in complete sentences like what HGF said. Probably not impossible, but highly, highly unlikely. 

@ohannabelle I never said it was impossible. But I'm still calling BS on this. 
  • Options
    When I was about one and a half, my family was at my aunt's pool for my older brother's baseball team's pool party (he is seven years older than I am). Well, they were all swimming and jumping off the diving board. I looked at my mom and said, "I know how to swim too!" because she wouldn't let me in the deep end.

After consistent arguing that I did know how to swim, she let me jump in the deep part. I sunk (she was right beside me in the pool). So she swam down and got me, pulled me out of the pool. I looked at her and said, "See, I told you I could swim!" I didn't like to be wrong even then.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards