Snarky Brides

The one thing on Pinterest I fully support

JCbride2015JCbride2015 member
First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
edited May 2014 in Snarky Brides
This made me LOL.  I know it's stereotypical, but in my experience it is SO true.  Men do actually have fewer cones in their eyes, after all.  Anybody who has ever tried to pick wedding colors with a dude probably knows what I mean (except HGF... didn't your H get in a tizzy over pumpkin vs. spice candles or something?)

Edited to remove double picture
Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

Re: The one thing on Pinterest I fully support

• FI is actually like the dude in this. She's not great with colors. Every shade of purple is called purple and I interpret what she means when she says "spring purple" and use the word "lavender".
  • That's funny and so true! I had a hard time explaining "berry" to my FI.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• I mentioned one time how I would hate to wear a white wedding dress because I can't pull that color off. He asked what color I would wear. I told him I prefer "off-white." He absolutely thought that meant "any color but white." He was, like, "So... purple? Blue?" I tried to explain to him what "off-white" meant and he was so lost lol.
    Haha, Fi is the same way!  I want a blush dress-- really I wanted silver, but that was too crazy for Fi.  He told me what looks "white" to him is pretty broad.  Plenty of blush and creamy colors look perfectly white to him.  So, I'm in the clear for him to see me "walking down the aisle in a 'white' dress" lol.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• MagicInk said:
    FI is actually like the dude in this. She's not great with colors. Every shade of purple is called purple and I interpret what she means when she says "spring purple" and use the word "lavender".
    @MagicInk is this ever a problem for you with tattoos?  Do people say one color and then realize they meant something totally different?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• MagicInk said:
    FI is actually like the dude in this. She's not great with colors. Every shade of purple is called purple and I interpret what she means when she says "spring purple" and use the word "lavender".
    @MagicInk is this ever a problem for you with tattoos?  Do people say one color and then realize they meant something totally different?
    It can be. Sometimes fixable when they meant something darker, sometimes not so fixable. But I'm detail orientated when it comes to my work, so I spend a lot of time going over the colors before we sit down. 

A lot of people will give vague descriptions, like spring purple, to go with the color. So you can figure out from context what they want. And a lot of people have no freaking clue, so they'll tell you what they like (or don't like) and let you do your thing. Most of my clients will fall into the latter group, especially since I do a lot of custom pieces so I'm already spending a lot of time drawing and coloring to get it just right. So if I say "I know we said periwinkle here, but I really think a robin's egg shade will look better", I usually get "I trust ya". After all, they're my best advertising. I need them to love what I do so they'll send more business to me. And come back for more work!
  • FH surprisingly is not like this, but every other man I know is. Although then again, FH is stereotypically metrosexual. You should see him in a Bath and Body Works and Yankee Candle.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• KGold80KGold80 member
    First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    Our colors are lavender and peach. FI interprets this as purple and orange.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• My husband refuses to acknowledge the color fuchsia as a distinct thing, separate from pink or purple.  This only comes up because part of our camping gear is definitely fuchsia but when I ask after it ("honey, have you seen the fuchsia thingamabob?") he looks at me like I'm speaking gibberish.

Fuchsia- it's a thing.
  • rajahmdrajahmd member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment First Answer
    Meh, I'm more like the guy side. I tend to just add qualifiers, like light/dark/neon/etc. It actually made wedding dress shopping interesting. When I first told DH I wanted a pink dress, he envisioned a horrible like bubblegum or magenta pink. I had more of the strawberry pink in mind (a deep darker pink). We actually had a pretty big fight over which shades of pink would be ok. Since neither of us are very good with descriptive colors, it was highly entertaining. We eventually used DB's list of colors to figure out what each of us was thinking.

FYI: my dress ended up being the shade of pink DB calls "watermelon". Just the right amount of pink- not too light, not too dark, and not too bright.
    Anniversary
  • Poor FI has some degree of color blindness. He has a really hard time distinguishing between shades of colors (not just with the name of them, but actually identifying the shade) and can really only see blues and greens really well. Just about every morning he comes downstairs asking if his tie goes with his shirt (not all blues go together and he's come down with some interesting combinations) and if his socks are both the same color. I have an ivory dress and I'm fairly certain when he sees it, he'll swear it's white. Luckily our wedding colors are white, apple green and navy blue. He's happy with that lol.
  • This made me laugh. My husband is color blind so some of these blues would be "purple" and the green and red might be "???" because he often can't tell the difference depending on the shade. Sometimes when I ask for his opinion about decorating and he points to something blue and says "just don't pick the purple one" and I begin to wonder why I'm asking a color blind person to help me make decorating decisions.
  • I have tried to explain this so many times! FI tried to put dark green laces on brown shoes and kept insisting they matched.
  • My uncle is the only man I've ever met who can more accurately describe colors than most of the women I know. He does all the interior design for his & my aunt's house because if the shades don't match perfectly or the colors base is too "off" to be complimentary he gets really frustrated. It's pretty funny :-)
  • Yep, that picture described FH to a T.

I'm talking about different colors to paint our kids' bedroom, and he has NO idea what I mean when I say like navy, coral, etc etc. His eyes kind of glaze over!
    Visit The Knot! Visit The Knot!
  • MagicInk said:
    It can be. Sometimes fixable when they meant something darker, sometimes not so fixable. But I'm detail orientated when it comes to my work, so I spend a lot of time going over the colors before we sit down. 

A lot of people will give vague descriptions, like spring purple, to go with the color. So you can figure out from context what they want. And a lot of people have no freaking clue, so they'll tell you what they like (or don't like) and let you do your thing. Most of my clients will fall into the latter group, especially since I do a lot of custom pieces so I'm already spending a lot of time drawing and coloring to get it just right. So if I say "I know we said periwinkle here, but I really think a robin's egg shade will look better", I usually get "I trust ya". After all, they're my best advertising. I need them to love what I do so they'll send more business to me. And come back for more work!
    - - - One of my tattoos has a heart and I seriously didn't know how much went into this: "What color do you want the heart to be?" "What are my options?" "Well you could do red, or pink...or something like blue?" "Oh. Red." "What color red?" "There are colors of red?! I want red. Red red." *shows me bottles of different inks* "there's orange red, pinkish red, dark red..." *points to bottle* "I want that red." (Called "red".) Next: "What shape do you want the heart?" "...heart shaped?" "Well I mean do you want it skinny or fat or long?" "Oh. Just draw me a heart and I'll tell you if I like it." *draws a heart* "That's perfect. It looks like a heart."
    Yep, that sounds about right. And also you'd be my favorite customer. Of course I'd just draw you like 20 different hearts and start coloring them until we go it right.
  • Two things on Pinterest. Two. 

This is 2 brownie layers, 2 cheesecake layers, 2 chocolate chip cookie layers, 1 graham cracker layer, marshmallow frosting, chocolate frosting
    I NEED THIS IN MY FACE.
    eyeroll

This is 2 brownie layers, 2 cheesecake layers, 2 chocolate chip cookie layers, 1 graham cracker layer, marshmallow frosting, chocolate frosting
    Okay, two things!  Nom nom nom.

I do actually use Pinterest to "Pin" recipes from around the interwebz that look yummy.  But it's more for my own organization than anything else.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

DEAR GOD.

• I'M SWOONING
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Mr. Bean Flipping the Bird
  • KGold80KGold80 member
    First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    Two things on Pinterest. Two. 

I like your style.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Good memory, JC! DH and I had a long conversation about how I wanted the red candles because they were the right colour and cheap and he wanted orange, but only if was more of an amber unless the red was more of a cinnamon.

I was like, 'We are getting the red ones because they are cheaper than all the others and they go with our fall wedding colours and omg I'm frustrated now!'

DH has good colour-recognition. It's a blessing and a curse.
    Anniversary

I'm gonna go with 'not my circus, not my monkeys.'
  • My FI refuses to believe that there can be different "shades" of black. I'm a musician and, therefore, have to wear concert black (AKA all black) quite frequently... I'm constantly complaining that "my blacks don't match!" and he just looks at me like I'm insane.
    Truth.  Head-to-toe concert black is actually really hard to pull off unless you find a floor-length dress.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• FI is like that with clothing and wedding things. Navy= blue. But luckily he saved me when it came to paint. I picked out a lavender for the guest bedroom and he held it under the light and said absolutely not- this has pink undertones. We want this one with grey undertones. He was so right and his color was so much better lol.

• My FI refuses to believe that there can be different "shades" of black. I'm a musician and, therefore, have to wear concert black (AKA all black) quite frequently... I'm constantly complaining that "my blacks don't match!" and he just looks at me like I'm insane.
    Truth.  Head-to-toe concert black is actually really hard to pull off unless you find a floor-length dress.
    I learned to live with not precisely matched blacks - I play the tuba and can't play in skirts.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards