Destination Weddings Discussions

just getting started and already so lost...

My fiance and I are so lost when it comes to planning this wedding. We live in Utah and want to rent a private home for a simple wedding, because my family is all on the east coast and his is in Minnesota and all pregnant/just had babies/has a lot going on. We are having a heck of a time finding a place that is available for events, and are kind of just getting over it, me especially. 

I want to have a wedding where our family and friends can come, I'm the oldest on my side and my family would love to come, but he is the youngest and everyone is busy/making it all about them. A destination wedding is what I am leaning towards, and he is too, and just invite our parents. I would rather go and it just be us, but he really wants parents there. Then maybe have a reception when we come back with my family and then another with his family. 

Has anyone done this and did you regret it?

Re: just getting started and already so lost...

• I'm recently engaged as well and it is overwhelming! We pretty much knew from the start we wanted to have a destination wedding but when it became real is when the comments started coming in. At the end of the day it is about you as a couple and how you want to start the beginning of your marriage together. If destination is what you want and your parents are what are important, ask your parents if they would be willing. Chances are they wouldn't miss it! My brother did DW 7 years ago and does not regret a thing, ladies who are getting married in a month or so say they wished they did it. What I've learned already is that no matter what you do, you can't please everyone. As long as what is the most important to you and your fiance happen, then go for it!
  • We are getting married in Jamaica May 15 2015, and we will not be having any guest. At first we considered inviting our parents but we know that not all of them can afford it and that we would rather have everyone or just us. We have decided to pay for the video and to do some form of reception within a few weeks of arriving back home. I am having the hardest time trying to decide what type of reception to have. I want something low key and inviting 30-50 closest friends and family.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We are getting married in July in St. Lucia. I am so glad I did it that way. So much easier and somebody else does the work we just pick stuff. SO much cheaper. We knew most people wouldnt make it but we would rather spend the extra money on a house. Its your day do what you want. We are doing a send off party with everyone we invited a week before we go.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • This is exactly what I am doing. I am getting married in Puerto Rico with a few select people attending, and having a reception when we get home. The only thing I can say is that this is what we wanted, so this is what we are doing!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards