Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Red velvet wedding cake - TRASHY or CLASSY?

Red velvet cake is my absolute favorite and my fiance loves it too. We've pretty much agreed that we want a red velvet cake for our wedding.
However, I've read in some magazines that red velvet cakes are considered garish and tacky because of their red color.
There is no red in our wedding scheme of colors.
However, it's a cake.
Do you think it's tacky/trashy to have a red velvet cake?
Also...is it possible to get a red velvet cake in a color other than red? [Haha, defeats the name entire but oh well.]

Re: Red velvet wedding cake - TRASHY or CLASSY?

• tldhtldh member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    It's neither.  I will say though that walking into our meeting with our baker, my California bred  FI was adamant that we were not getting red velvet for either the wedding cake or the groom's cake.  His reasoning was that even though I'm from the south, he didn't want it to look like the cake was bleeding or being hacked to death.

If you and your FI love it, then who cares what other people think?  It's cake (and damn good cake at that).  Go for it...just avoid something like a bleeding armadillo.
    AKA GoodLuckBear14
  • edited December 2011
    I say do what you want! If you both love red velvet cake, have red velvet cake don't get something you don't enjoy.  I doubt any of your guests will think it is trashy to have red velvet cake, they will just want the cake and if they don't like it they won't eat it. 

I'm doing an assortment of cupcakes for my wedding cake and red velvet is my favorite, so there will definitely be red velvet cupcakes.
  • edited December 2011
    I don't think it is classy nor trashy. If you and FI like it go for it . My FI and I both like red velvet so it will be one of the cake options at our reception. I don't think anyone will be like "Ohemgee, they are having red velvet cake?! What trashy people." Your guests will just appreciate yummy dessert!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • pita1127pita1127 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hmmm...I've never thought of cake as being trashy or classy I guess!  I say go for it. 
  • mysticlmysticl member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited December 2011
    If you both like it have it.  I think I saw something on one of the cooking shows I watch that the red color comes from red food coloring, if that is the case then yes, i doesn't have to be red.  But who cares, have the cake you want.  If you want it to match your color have the icing/decorations match.  My cake is chocolate, brown is not one of my colors. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • melissamc2melissamc2 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    It's delicious, it looks nice (I've heard the "bleeding" theory, but people get chocolate and mocha all the time and no one says it looks as if it's defecating, just like no one complains about raspberry filling looking like blood sauce, so I woudln't worry about that at all), and you both like it - that's everything you want in a wedding cake.

There is a LOT of room between "trashy" and "classy," and it that's where wedding cakes fall.

Good luck and congratulations!
    10-10-10
  • sarahmarietmsarahmarietm member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If people are THAT bothered by a piece of cake, they don't have to eat it. If it's your favorite, I say go right ahead and to heck with the naysayers!
    Photobucket
  • lmcit23lmcit23 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011

I never heard of such a thing - I would go ahead and have your red velvet cake especially if you love it.  Honestly where do people come up with this stuff?

• sarabellamsarabellam member
    5 Love Its First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    Red velvet is neither trashy nor classy, but don't make it the only flavor of your wedding cake. Some people really don't care for it, and you don't want that to be the only choice.
  • edited December 2011
    you can have them use less intense red color, like use the granadine so the cake has the taste but is not as bright, I think red velvet is lovely and delicious, and I see nothing wrong with it.
  • edited December 2011
    I've only had a red velvet cake once (it's not readily available here), and I thought it was delicious. That was pretty much the most important thing for me.
  • mica178mica178 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I love red velvet cake, and my baker says it's becoming more popular as a wedding cake.  If your caker offers different flavored layers, you could do that so that your (rare) squeamish guests can have another flavor, but I really don't think that should be an issue.
  • Penwater1Penwater1 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Do what you like. I think it looks beautiful when plated. My fiancée and I will have red velvet cake because it is the only cake we both like.
  • sabatronsabatron member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We're having red velvet cupcakes with white buttercream frosting, strawberries, and chocolate shavings. I'm happy with the pick, and I would never consider one type of cake "trashier" or "classier" than another.  Unless you're serving Twinkies...
    Scrabble high score: 531
  • SuMmErKuTiESuMmErKuTiE member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Why on earth would red velvet cake be trashy? That's one of my favorite cakes as well and we had it as one of our flavors and didn't have red in our color scheme either. If you and your FI love it then go for it!
  • edited December 2011
    The red color comes from the reaction between the vinegar and cocoa powder, or at least it should if you're doing it right.  You shouldn't need red food coloring for this.  I guess my point is that if you want red velvet, don't try to f*ck with the color.  It is what it is, and any other color would look fake and cheesy.

Classy or trashy?  No, it's just a flavor of cake, and you should have what you like.  As a PP said, it's not like people think a chocolate cake looks like defecation, so why would red velvet be any different?
  • edited December 2011
    My sister had red velvet (one of her colors were red) and it was very elagant!  The frosting itself had swirles and looked very classy.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I agree if that's what you and your FI like then go for it!! That's what matters,it's your day sweety :).I love red velvet cake and i don't see anything trashy about it.
  • edited December 2011
    I think these bridal magazines are struggling for crap to write about. Next we'll see "Everyone is looking at your bouquet. Are your wrists too bony? How trashy!" Then all your guests get to throw red velvet cake at you.
    November Siggy Challenge: Favorite On Screen Couple
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • lee40lee40 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    we are doing redvelvet as our wedding cake too.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards