Snarky Brides

"How to Know when You're at a Hipster Wedding"

Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

Re: "How to Know when You're at a Hipster Wedding"

• I chuckled.

The most hipster wedding I've ever seen was last summer.

B&G got married in their back yard with only a few people in attendance. Bride wore a lovely ivory gown, groom wore a 3-piece suit without his jacket. Both of them wore Converse (the bride's were purple!)

The reception was held at a local music hall with a local band playing. They had food trucks providing dinner (invited guests got a bracelet for as much food as we wanted), old fashioneds were served at the bar, and dessert was donuts from a local shop (including chocolate Earl Grey, maple bacon bourbon, and vanilla chai donuts). It was pretty awesome.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    eyeroll
  • Heh heh...just lemonade...

• Haha very funny!
  • Every time a new song comes on people ask you "Do you even KNOW this band?"
  • Cookie PusherCookie Pusher member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited May 2014
    OMG hilarious! FSIL's wedding was so half-assed hipster that it hurt me. Literally, I felt sick to my stomach. lol

ETA: Yep, not totally hipster according to the chart (thank goodness). But still gave me hipster vibes, and there's something about hipsters that doesn't sit right with me. It's not you, it's the hipsterness.
    ~*~*~*~*~

• Hilarious.
  • CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited May 2014
    OK.  What does "hipster" mean?

My sister's first wedding, she wore what was then called a muslin cotton Mexican wedding dress.  No veil, but a wreath of flowers in her hair.  The groom wore a tan tuxedo with a ruffled embroidered shirt.  (Oh, tuxedo styles are changing!  Nobody wears a black tux anymore! It's 1975!)  I wore a flowered "granny dress" and sang with the guitar music.

They were married in a chapel, with a cake and punch reception afterwards for the older folks.  Then the privileged younger folks went to the real reception, which was a drug orgy at the couple's home, in the basement with lots of candles and incense.  (I declined.)

Is that close?
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • @CMGragain: Thank you! I appreciate that nostalgic moment of grooviness. 

As I understand it (being old enough to have also worn a flower wreath and peasant skirt at my first wedding) Hipster is kind of derogatory. The kind of young person who is carefully posing at being very cool and hip, with their Buddy Holly glasses and chai lattes. There is a lot of knit beanie wearing. A  Fauxhemian, with intellectual pretensions. Well to do urban and suburban kids playing at being Left Bank artiste types.  Someone shopping at Anthropologie and spending 100 bucks on a shirt made to look like a worn out vintage shirt. 

I think. A younger person could probably define it better. 
  • no hipster wedding would be complete without a random train track picture...
  • @CMGragain: Thank you! I appreciate that nostalgic moment of grooviness. 

As I understand it (being old enough to have also worn a flower wreath and peasant skirt at my first wedding) Hipster is kind of derogatory. The kind of young person who is carefully posing at being very cool and hip, with their Buddy Holly glasses and chai lattes. There is a lot of knit beanie wearing. A  Fauxhemian, with intellectual pretensions. Well to do urban and suburban kids playing at being Left Bank artiste types.  Someone shopping at Anthropologie and spending 100 bucks on a shirt made to look like a worn out vintage shirt. 

I think. A younger person could probably define it better. 
    The bolded is a perfect example.  A hipster is into bohemian style because it's cool, and will spend boatloads of money to perfect that look.  Reminds me of a "bohemian" wedding I saw featured on a blog once, with a budget of $70,000.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Oh, and the next evolution of hipster culture currently working its way through NYC is "normcore."  Dressing like a 90's mom or dad on purpose.  Think white sneakers, mom jeans, crew neck sweatshirts, fanny packs.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Mom jeans?!?!?!?!

FUNNY PACKS?!?!?!

What in hell? Is it a game on who can have the biggest fake ass to attempt to hide the demon camel toe?
  • Oh, and the next evolution of hipster culture currently working its way through NYC is "normcore."  Dressing like a 90's mom or dad on purpose.  Think white sneakers, mom jeans, crew neck sweatshirts, fanny packs.
    Normcore. Oh, holy hell. I've seen synthetic hippies, and JC Penney punk rockers, and more affected Seattlite grunge than I can remember but I just can't handle "Normcore." That's too funny. 
  • Ironic beards, fixie bikes, toms, very expensive hiking boots while living in the williamsburg neighborhood of NY. Organic everything. PBR on purpose.

Things like that.
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• Great. For me to go normcore, the waist of my jeans would be over my bra strap apparently. Since the crop tops don't even try to cover the American Alps on my chest.
  • Great. For me to go normcore, the waist of my jeans would be over my bra strap apparently. Since the crop tops don't even try to cover the American Alps on my chest.
    Same here. Crop tops on me = visible nips.
    eyeroll
  • 90's jeans are the WORST. Why can't flattering clothes be fashionable ALL the time?

• Also, in my city, hipsters try to be not-normal. However, there are so many hipsters trying to be not-normal that their style IS totally normal. Defeats the purpose. I dated a guy for three years who dressed in clothes from the Gap but was otherwise hipster in every way: artistic profession, rode around on his bike, listened to indie bands no one else besides his hipster friends knew about, and also very liberal and anti-"the man". Ironically, once he started making enough money to not live paycheck to paycheck his political views moved more towards moderate. He also has played in an indie, new-wave band for years and they just released their first record. Record. I'm happy for him.

• God, the normcore. I actually live in Williamsburg (where the hipster is indigenous) and it is not only ugly, I find it super condescending. Like, isn't it FASHION FORWARD of me to dress like someone whose fashion sense is normally considered inferior? Hahaha, my mom jeans are cool because I'm "in on the joke"! I hate it. When I look like shit it's out of laziness, not a deliberate attempt. But re: wildflowers--I LIKE wildflowers! I absolutely intend to have them in my bouquet, but somehow I feel like that might be fitting at a nature preserve venue. (I sure hope so, anyway...)
    This baby knows exactly how I feel
  • Okay, I'm getting it.
    But I need someone to explain the hipster/antler/wedding connection to me. WTF?
  • Okay, I'm getting it.
    But I need someone to explain the hipster/antler/wedding connection to me. WTF?
    Drugs. So many drugs.
  • I've been to actual hippie weddings. (Including my own, many years ago.) There were drugs, and questionable fashion, but no antlers. Jingles the leather worker wore some feathers to a wedding once. That's close to antlers, I guess. But he didn't buy his feathers. He found them in the forest, and it was beautiful. So yes, maybe drugs.
  • I've been to actual hippie weddings. (Including my own, many years ago.) There were drugs, and questionable fashion, but no antlers. Jingles the leather worker wore some feathers to a wedding once. That's close to antlers, I guess. But he didn't buy his feathers. He found them in the forest, and it was beautiful. So yes, maybe drugs.
    Hippies and hipsters are two very different things.
    eyeroll
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards