Wedding Etiquette Forum

Thrift Store "Registry"?

I'm a bit of a 'green queen' in that I'm a big reuser/recycler.  I'm wondering if there's a polite way to 'register' for used items.  Like, I love mismatched glassware from the thrift stores.  And all of my plates and bowls are mismatched with the central theme of black&red, and I love it that way.  It makes me feel better with a friend breaks a wine glass or my FH drops a cereal bowl, and I kinda like the aesthetic.  I live in a big city and have many friends who are big thrift store shoppers.  I just want to know if there's any way to say that if you're going to get me wine glasses, I'd love to have mismatched thrift store ones.  Or I'll take the champagne flutes that you got for your wedding 4 years ago and kept in the box because they're not your style.  Or if your mother or neighbor is having a garage sale, I'll take the flower pots.  Don't know if I'd do it at all, just wondering if it's even close to being polite.

Re: Thrift Store "Registry"?

• I don't know if a registry is what you would want.  Perhaps you could just let it be known that you would like house items or kitchen items and they don't have to be new?

I went to a bridal shower a few years ago where the bride only wanted old family recipes so she put the word out and, for the most part, that's what people brought.  I thought it was a really nice idea.
  • I think this is a really neat idea. I'm trying to think about the best way to go about this. Hmm. 
  • I love the idea of this and now I want to do it. If people would add to my antique teacup collection, I'd be over the moon!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    eyeroll
  • Hmm... that is tricky.  Is there a site anywhere that lets you create a custom registry that doesn't need to link to any particular items for sale.... hmm...

I started searching, and immediately found this -- https://www.simpleregistry.com/

Ew.

"Any item from anywhere on one wedding registry. Even add non-tangible stuff like cooking classes, indoor skydiving sessions, or a donation to your favorite charity. When your wedding is over all gifts are redeemed as cash for the ultimate in flexibility. Newer model of that camera you registered? Want a different color? No problem!"

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I think for this, you would just have to spread the word that you're planning on getting mismatched (maybe eclectic, is that the right word?) housewares. Then hope for cash to get these items yourself.
  • I don't think there's an easy way of doing this. However, letting people know how much you love that stuff may help. It also seems like a fabulous theme for a bridal shower! (Although I know you can't throw one for yourself or have a huge influence.)

I love the idea though. I went to a wedding that served everything off of mismatched dishes/silverware/glasses/etc. and it was gorgeous. She stuck primarily to floral china but I loved the look- shabby chic without the burlap.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Has someone offered you a shower? It could be a "white elephant" type theme... I think that's an ok thing to specify. The host(ess) would ask you where you're registered to put that in the invitations anyway, so you could say there's no registry but you'd love to receive used items. Then guests could actually go buy something from a thrift shop or pass along something they have. (Or just buy new if they feel like it.)

I don't think there's a way of doing an actual registry like this though.

• KGold80KGold80 member
    First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    Hmm... that is tricky.  Is there a site anywhere that lets you create a custom registry that doesn't need to link to any particular items for sale.... hmm...

I started searching, and immediately found this -- https://www.simpleregistry.com/

Ew.

"Any item from anywhere on one wedding registry. Even add non-tangible stuff like cooking classes, indoor skydiving sessions, or a donation to your favorite charity. When your wedding is over all gifts are redeemed as cash for the ultimate in flexibility. Newer model of that camera you registered? Want a different color? No problem!"
    Good grief. That's worse than a honeyfund.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• I have so many friends who frequent thrift stores.  Occasionally we'll give each other a list of things we're looking for.  My one friend wants square vases of various heights.  Another friends is considering growing plants in wooden baskets for her porch.  And once we get our house, I'll be searching for beer glasses of all shapes.

I know this wouldn't really be a "registry" per se, but I'm kinda hoping for a nice way to be able to mention to folks that nothing would thrill me more than a dozen pretty used flower pots for my herb plants.
  • I once saw in a budget wedding book an idea for a registry alternative was for the bride and groom to write down a list of the type of things they could use and then give it to their mom (or someone else close to them).  Then that person could be asked what was still on the list.  

Or maybe just make an amazon registry and then say you'd like things similar to those, but not necessarily from the site?
  • Hmm... that is tricky.  Is there a site anywhere that lets you create a custom registry that doesn't need to link to any particular items for sale.... hmm...

Ew.

Double ew, ew!
  • Do a registry on Amazon.com. It has huge variety of items on their site, but you can also link to item at other store sites or write in anything you want. So you could just write in that you want random thrift store dishes as an item and put other items, either from Amazon, Bed Bath & Beyond, or wherever all on one registry.

• nicoann said:
    Do a registry on Amazon.com. It has huge variety of items on their site, but you can also link to item at other store sites or write in anything you want. So you could just write in that you want random thrift store dishes as an item and put other items, either from Amazon, Bed Bath & Beyond, or wherever all on one registry.
    Yeah, I could do something like that.  I use amazon for my christmas list, so I'm familiar with the format.  I could do something like add items in type instead of in actuality.  That's how I have my fall coat on my wishlist since my sister is much better at dressing me than I am, "Fall/Spring jacket, fun bright color, thigh length, with long enough sleeves for my gorilla arms."
  • Jen4948Jen4948 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    You might Google flea markets to see if they have registries.
  • You could also register for mismatched items! Scan 12 different 5-piece dining sets rather than 12x one style. This could be wicked cool if the pieces nested, to stack in the cabinet, but had different design elements in each.

I also love the secondhand shower idea - if your friends already know your style it wouldn't be too out of the ordinary!
  • Cstow06Cstow06 member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper 5 Love Its First Comment
    Interesting... Maybe just ebay or etsy.com  I'm actually not sure, but I like the responses you've gotten so far.
  • You could also register for mismatched items! Scan 12 different 5-piece dining sets rather than 12x one style. This could be wicked cool if the pieces nested, to stack in the cabinet, but had different design elements in each. I also love the secondhand shower idea - if your friends already know your style it wouldn't be too out of the ordinary!
    Yes, while this works for the style part of my issue, it doesn't really do anything for my 'Green' issue.  Of course I want new towels and bedding. But glass is glass is glass, whether it's been owned only by me or also by five other people before me.  I want to keep items out of the landfill while also making my kitchen and bar area look cool and be functional.

I think this will be easiest to accomplish if I start before any gift-giving occasions arise.  We're planning on buying a house this summer, so I'll mention to FH's mom that if she has any extra flower pots she's not using this year, I'd be happy to take them off her hands.  (This also would help her with husband's hoard, which she'd love.)  And when we have friends over for ball games, I'll mention that I've been thrifting beer glasses and am looking for different shaped ones.  Then maybe, when it comes to wedding gifts and we're asked about registries, I can just mention the particular used items that I think various friends/family would feel most comfortable with, and they won't think we're joking with them.

Because I also plan on doing this for kids stuff if we ever have a kid.  It doesn't need to be new to be cool.
  • I love this idea, and I think it's awesome.

I think your best bet is to spread this by word of mouth. Do you have an especially blabby relative or friend? If you do, ask them to spread the word.

Also, honestly, if there's a Thrift Shop you love or frequent, go down there and talk to the manager and ask about starting a 'wish list' that's not absolute, but that gives people an idea of your aesthetic.
    Anniversary

I'm gonna go with 'not my circus, not my monkeys.'
  • Etsy has a registry too.
  • edited May 2014
    Even if you had a traditional shower, maybe you could have each person bring a thrifted or hand me down piece of china in lieu of a card. They could sign the back with a porcelain pen (provided at the shower).
    (ETA: your host(s), obvs, not "you.")

• I did some googling, and found this: http://www.sokindregistry.org/
    Love the idea; I'm a thrift queen also!
  • You can add vintage items on etsy to a registry.

Anniversary
  • The only two reasons I can see this being an issue is with thrift shops, things are one of a kind. There aren't multiple versions of the same glass, so there is a chance someone will buy that item before your guest can get to it. The second reason is in that situation, if I were your guest, I'm not a thrift shopper. I can guess what your tastes may be, but I'd really just prefer an easy way to purchase and get your gift to you. I don't have time to go thrift shopping. And while you may have some friends who would love the challenge, I bet if you did a regular registry in addition, you'd see much more bought from that. It's just easier from a guest perspective. Food for thought. :)
  • missnc77 said:

The only two reasons I can see this being an issue is with thrift shops, things are one of a kind. There aren't multiple versions of the same glass, so there is a chance someone will buy that item before your guest can get to it. The second reason is in that situation, if I were your guest, I'm not a thrift shopper. I can guess what your tastes may be, but I'd really just prefer an easy way to purchase and get your gift to you. I don't have time to go thrift shopping. And while you may have some friends who would love the challenge, I bet if you did a regular registry in addition, you'd see much more bought from that. It's just easier from a guest perspective. Food for thought. :)

This is why I don't like Etsy registries. When something is gone, it's gone.

• lilybet13 said:
    Slightly OT or maybe helpful: How did registries work back at the beginning? Were they a list of things kept at the store? Were they a list of things kept by, say, the MOB?
    Yup. 

There was a registry department, just like the big stores have now, but more stores had them. 

Sometimes the clerk would go through the list with you and then show you the 2-3 items you wanted to see, and sometimes you'd just get a copy of the list and walk around the store with it. Then the clerk would check off the item(s) you purchased and update the master.
  • adk19 said:
    I have so many friends who frequent thrift stores.  Occasionally we'll give each other a list of things we're looking for.  My one friend wants square vases of various heights.  Another friends is considering growing plants in wooden baskets for her porch.  And once we get our house, I'll be searching for beer glasses of all shapes.

I know this wouldn't really be a "registry" per se, but I'm kinda hoping for a nice way to be able to mention to folks that nothing would thrill me more than a dozen pretty used flower pots for my herb plants.
    I'm wondering if maybe instead of registry info with a link, you could just do this?  So beer glasses and used flower pots would be two items on your list.  If someone asks you where you're registered  you could then just mention a few of the items on your list and say you LOVE thrift shops (It's absolutely ok to just tell people what you want when they ask), or if they ask via email/ facebook etc. you could send them the list of stuff you'd like.  Word of mouth will be really helpful, make sure your most talkative friends and relatives know that you would prefer thrift store stuff over new stuff.

I really love your idea.
  • adk19 said:
    You could also register for mismatched items! Scan 12 different 5-piece dining sets rather than 12x one style. This could be wicked cool if the pieces nested, to stack in the cabinet, but had different design elements in each. I also love the secondhand shower idea - if your friends already know your style it wouldn't be too out of the ordinary!
    Yes, while this works for the style part of my issue, it doesn't really do anything for my 'Green' issue.  Of course I want new towels and bedding. But glass is glass is glass, whether it's been owned only by me or also by five other people before me.  I want to keep items out of the landfill while also making my kitchen and bar area look cool and be functional.

I think this will be easiest to accomplish if I start before any gift-giving occasions arise.  We're planning on buying a house this summer, so I'll mention to FH's mom that if she has any extra flower pots she's not using this year, I'd be happy to take them off her hands.  (This also would help her with husband's hoard, which she'd love.)  And when we have friends over for ball games, I'll mention that I've been thrifting beer glasses and am looking for different shaped ones.  Then maybe, when it comes to wedding gifts and we're asked about registries, I can just mention the particular used items that I think various friends/family would feel most comfortable with, and they won't think we're joking with them.

Because I also plan on doing this for kids stuff if we ever have a kid.  It doesn't need to be new to be cool.
    Mis-matched items aren't really my style (I can never make it look "good") but there are definitely people that can pull it off, so I do love this idea in theory! However you end up doing it, good luck with it. :)

As for the bolded, just be cautious: many older models of baby furniture/toys have been recalled for a defective issue/part which have been resolved in the newer models, so if you go this route please do research into those items to make sure there hasn't been any issues with them in the past!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • i ditto op on the baby items if your buying a crib or getting a hand me down make sure you research the crib and the model as well as other baby furniture like bassinets pack and plays, car seats strollers, all of those vintage or older models pose hazards.  i work in retail and there are always recalls on various baby items for one reason or another.

drop cribs are no longer on the market they have had such a high risk and babies have died that crib makers have stopped making droped cribs

• mysticlmysticl member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    casey8784 said:
    adk19 said:
    You could also register for mismatched items! Scan 12 different 5-piece dining sets rather than 12x one style. This could be wicked cool if the pieces nested, to stack in the cabinet, but had different design elements in each. I also love the secondhand shower idea - if your friends already know your style it wouldn't be too out of the ordinary!

Mis-matched items aren't really my style (I can never make it look "good") but there are definitely people that can pull it off, so I do love this idea in theory! However you end up doing it, good luck with it. :)

As for the bolded, just be cautious: many older models of baby furniture/toys have been recalled for a defective issue/part which have been resolved in the newer models, so if you go this route please do research into those items to make sure there hasn't been any issues with them in the past!
    Absolutely do not purchase a carseat at a thrift store.  You are risking your child's life by doing so.  First carseats expire.  So those in a thrift store may be expired or close to it, therefore a waste of money.  Secondly, you don't know the seat's history.  It may have been in a crash (they are only good for one crash, with a few exceptions that can be used after one very minor crash).  It may have been checked on an airplane (baggage handlers abuse them, there are youtube videos of carseats being slammed onto the concrete tarmac). The straps may have been washed (you aren't supposed to submerge them in water and have to clean them following very specific instructions).  Plus there is the whole recall issue.  You won't know if it was recalled and if it was did the previous owner get it "fixed"? 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards