Wedding Etiquette Forum

Sufficient drink options?

Would you be happy with these drink options?

Grapefruit margarita
Mountain dude (Mountain Dew and dude vodka)
Vodka
Rum - light and dark

Beer (Yuengling, Sam Adams Oktoberfest, something by Dogfish head, bud light)
Wine (1 red, 2 white) - maybe Pinot Grigio, Riesling, and Pinot Noir
Champagne

Cranberry juice
Orange juice
Coke
Sprite
Diet coke
Mountain Dew
Water
Lemonade

Re: Sufficient drink options?

• Jen4948Jen4948 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    Works for me-just don't charge me.
    You have earned it, YA DONE GOOD!
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• Yeah, I think that is fine. Plenty of options, although I'm not sure how many people would drink a vodka Mountain Dew. Maybe look into having iced tea as well for another non alcoholic option. And ditto Jen, this should all be hosted.
  • Yes.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Sounds good to me!
  • Yeah, I think that is fine. Plenty of options, although I'm not sure how many people would drink a vodka Mountain Dew. Maybe look into having iced tea as well for another non alcoholic option. And ditto Jen, this should all be hosted.

The mountain dude is my fiancé's signature drink. His other idea was a cinnamon toast crunch shot, which is rum chata and fireball... I thought that was a not so great idea so I encouraged the mountain dude instead. He doesn't really drink much other than beer but he still wants a signature drink, so we couldn't think of anything better.
  • Two thumbs up for the mountain dude. Three Olives is awesome.

The mountain dude is my fiancé's signature drink. His other idea was a cinnamon toast crunch shot, which is rum chata and fireball... I thought that was a not so great idea so I encouraged the mountain dude instead. He doesn't really drink much other than beer but he still wants a signature drink, so we couldn't think of anything better.

Ok, you have plenty of options so it's fine. If it's his favourite drink, I understand why he would want it :)
  • great mix of options.

Not sure about the grapefruit margarita though.    Of course, I do not like margaritas or grapefruit, but I would think normal margarita would be more appealing.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Aray82Aray82 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    lyndausvi said:
    great mix of options.

Not sure about the grapefruit margarita though.    Of course, I do not like margaritas or grapefruit, but I would think normal margarita would be more appealing.
    Stuck in the grey, but yes, I would agree with this and change the margarita to regular. I LOVE grapefruit juice but I can't have it anymore because some of the enzymes in grapefruit interfere with some of my medications. I also know some folks who are on the pill who avoid grapefruit for that reason. Granted, I would still have plenty of options and would be fine, but I might be just a bit disappointed since I love margaritas, too, that I couldn't get it without grapefruit.
  • I would probably pick a more neutral flavor of margarita. Grapefruit is  a "love it or HATE it" flavor..with most leaning on not liking it esp in drink form
  • phiraphira member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    I think it's great. Very similar to what we're hoping to serve (although my partner hopes that Sam Adams Cold Snap is back by November--he lurves it).

I'm on the fence about the margarita. On the one hand, folks are right. Lots of margarita lovers won't drink it, either because of feelings towards grapefruits or because of contraindications with medications. But at the same time, it's not the only alcoholic beverage option. I think if it's a drink that you really love and want to serve, you should. If you just picked it for funsies and aren't dead set on it, then maybe not.
    Anniversary
    now with ~* INCREASED SASSINESS *~
  • When's the wedding?  Have you seen the cost of limes recently?  I'd change up the margarita flavor too, damn!

• csuavecsuave member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper

Your list is great. 

Will you have any kids?  If yes you might want to add ginger ale and other Shirley Temple ingredients. 

• I love all the things!!
    But what is 'dude vodka'? That's a new one.
    Also, PPs, grapefruit margs are yummy. Trust me, I'm a doctor.
  • Just a heads up, have your fiancé try Mountain Dew and apple vodka! We use Smirnoff Green Apple. It tastes MUCH better than Dude, in my opinion, if you're looking for a crowd pleaser.

If it's absolutely his signature drink, by all means keep it! It's cute to do that. And your other choices sound yummy.

@chrisandcait‌, Three Olives and Pinnacle make an ABSURD variety of flavoured vodka now. Think Froot Loops, Strawberry Shortcake, etc. "Dude" is Mountain Dew flavoured.
  • Just saw that your fiancé was looking for a drink! If you're looking for something unique, Mountain Dew and UV Blue is amazing. Tastes like blue raspberry and the color is definitely not something you see every day.

My fiancé hates most alcohol and drinks that, along with the apple vodka one I mentioned in my previous comment. He REALLY loves Mountain Dew, haha.
  • Ditto changing the margaritas flavor, but everything else sounds good.
  • SKPMSKPM member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Answer Name Dropper
    If it were me, I would switch out one of the white wines for a Sauvignon Blanc or a Chardonnay. Both Pinot Grigio and Riesling tend to be very sweet; I prefer something less sweet and more variety (instead of 2 varieties that are fairly similar). But otherwise it looks good to me.

photo fancy-as-fuck.jpg
  • I think all the options sound lovely and fine. I wouldn't change anything.

Live fast, die young. Bad Girls do it well. Suki Zuki.

• SKPM said:
    If it were me, I would switch out one of the white wines for a Sauvignon Blanc or a Chardonnay. Both Pinot Grigio and Riesling tend to be very sweet; I prefer something less sweet and more variety (instead of 2 varieties that are fairly similar). But otherwise it looks good to me.
    There's some good dry Rieslings that aren't that expensive and local. I can't stand a sweet Riesling, but I love dry/semi-dry ones.
  • SKPMSKPM member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Answer Name Dropper

SKPM said:

There's some good dry Rieslings that aren't that expensive and local. I can't stand a sweet Riesling, but I love dry/semi-dry ones.

There are. I am just offering my opinion. In my experience, sauv blancs and chardonnays tend to be bigger crowd pleasers among white wine drinkers. That's why I would recommend, say, a sauv blanc and a riesling or pinot grigio.

photo fancy-as-fuck.jpg
  • doeydodoeydo member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    Looks good to me.
  • Yay! Thanks everybody. I will most likely keep the grapefruit margarita since I figure not a whole heck of a lot of people would even drink a regular margarita and it's something I really like. I will also look into the wine options a bit more... Maybe either a drier Riesling and Pinot Grigio or a sweet Riesling with a Chardonnay.
  • edited May 2014
    I second the iced tea for a non-alcoholic option that isn't loaded with sugar. I'd be limited to water on your menu. Or I guess diet soda but I don't like most sodas.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Margaritas are made with tequila, but I don't see tequila on the list. Was that an oversight?

The only think I think you're missing is soda water (i.e. seltzer water, sparkling water). It's a great non-alcoholic sugar-free choice for adults, and also a very common mixer with vodka (vodka soda is what I'll usually order at a bar unless I'm going for a signature drink of some sort). 
  • What about coffee?

• Yes, this sounds good! The Mountain Dude sounds cute :) 

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• KatieinBklnKatieinBkln member
    First Answer First Comment First Anniversary 5 Love Its
    edited May 2014
    This sounds more than sufficient. Personally I'm planning to host beer and wine (along with soft drinks and coffee) for the duration of the evening, with a signature cocktail for the cocktail hour only. Your drinks sound like a glorious fountain of tasty options! ETF repeated words
    This baby knows exactly how I feel
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards