Offbeat Weddings

young and beautiful

Is young and beautiful by Lana del Rey too dramatic for me to walk down the aisle to? Lol It is my favorite, and it's very fitting. I might do it anyways.. But just thought I'd get some opinions?

Re: young and beautiful

• Is young and beautiful by Lana del Rey too dramatic for me to walk down the aisle to? Lol It is my favorite, and it's very fitting. I might do it anyways.. But just thought I'd get some opinions?
    I would say no, considering it was written for Gatsby. Gatsby is not romantic at all.
    If we avoided songs because of what they were written for every bride should avoid Wagner's Bridal Chorus (Here Comes the Bride)

OP it is a pretty song. If you feel it is too dramatic maybe use an instrumental of the song. You will know what song it is and it will sound more traditional.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We're using it for the first dance of our Art Deco styled wedding and doing a mix of Foxtrot and Tango to it. It's a beautiful song. I can see it being great for a wedding march too.

• Is young and beautiful by Lana del Rey too dramatic for me to walk down the aisle to? Lol It is my favorite, and it's very fitting. I might do it anyways.. But just thought I'd get some opinions?
    I would say no, considering it was written for Gatsby. Gatsby is not romantic at all.
    If we avoided songs because of what they were written for every bride should avoid Wagner's Bridal Chorus (Here Comes the Bride)

OP it is a pretty song. If you feel it is too dramatic maybe use an instrumental of the song. You will know what song it is and it will sound more traditional.
    Many many brides DO avoid Wagner's Bridal Chorus, but not for the doomed marriage of Elsa and Lohengrin:

Jews: because Hitler borrowed the tune for a pro-Nazi hymn, coupled WITH the fact that Wagner was anti-semitic. 

Lutherans: because the Lutheran church protests the pagan elements of Wagner's operas.

Roman Catholics: because they consider the Bridal Chorus to be a piece of secular music, which is banned in Roman Catholic wedding ceremonies.

A better example along the lines of how Gatsby is not a romantic novel: "Every Breath You Take" by the Police is the #2 first dance (and a popular processional) song in the USA. Sting wrote it about an obsessive stalker. Not exactly the message you want to give during your wedding, either, eh?

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I wanted to walk down the aisle to it! I love that song, but our friends recently used it in their wedding so I chose not to... I say go for it.. It's gorgeous!
  • It feels a bit sad almost, or to me it does but it's your wedding and you should do what makes you happy.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I love that song! OP, I think if you love it too, you should totally use it!
  • danamwdanamw member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    I love the song and it is beautiful, but what it says is kind of sad for a walking down the aisle song.
  • I'm using the same song and I'm having a vintage/Gatsby themed wedding so I think it's perfect!
  • I agree with the PPs - it has a very melancholy feel to it. When I listen to it, I feel sad/nostalgic even though I adore it. That is my personal thought, but if you want to use it - go for it! @SammiNJonni mentioned doing the instrumental and I second that. :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards