Snarky Brides

Damn these people.

My wedding is still 4.5 months away. Invites have not gone out yet. I did send STDs back in January. 

My very good friend broke up with her girlfriend. It's not amicable. The girlfriend is now calling me asking to talk about the wedding. Honestly, the only reason she was invited was because she was dating my friend. And I'm 99.9% sure she's calling to ask if she still invited and if she can bring her new girlfriend (she mentioned to a mutual friend that she was going to call me). I posted about this on the E board too. 

FBIL, who is also Best Man, doesn't want to bring his girlfriend to the wedding. They've been on and off for 8 years. She "embarrasses" him in public. I can understand why. But why does he continue to date her? Anyway, he's making it seem to her that it's our choice to not invite her!! 

My uncle is 42 (only 9 years older than me). He just started dating a girl that's 20. She is using him and he doesn't see it. She doesn't work, she doesn't go to school and she spends all of his money. She's sending me Facebook messages every day asking me about the wedding. "What's the date again? What time is it? How should I dress? What kind of food are you having?" I've just stopped replying to her. Seriously - you've been dating him for 6 weeks. Chill the fuck out. 

Re: Damn these people.

• Ugh that sounds crappy. Sorry about all the craziness. 
                                 Anniversary
    imageimageimage

• Oh, man, that sucks.

For the ex-GF, I'd dodge her phone calls until invites go out (which is probably another 2.5 months, which is a long time to dodge phone calls), and then say, 'Unfortunately, we weren't able to invite everyone we might have wanted to include.'

Depending on whether you want to remain friends with her after this, you could say, 'Unfortunately, the invite was for Friend and you as her SO, not you individually. We can't accommodate former SOs, I'm sorry.'

I agree with PPs that you put this back on FBIL and say to him, 'Look, SOs get invited, so she's getting invited, and if YOU don't want to bring her, then that's on YOU and YOU can tell her that, but I am issuing an invitation to you and her.'

You could also issue it to him 'and guest,' and then if she asks you tell her, 'I sent it to him and a guest; not sure who he's bringing.'

As for the uncle's baby GF, the block feature on FB is a lovely, lovely thing.
    Anniversary

I'm gonna go with 'not my circus, not my monkeys.'
  • I am thankfully a very good dodger. I hate awkward situations. I'm going to block the chat function on FB. Good thinking!
  • I would respond to the uncle's icky gf with this:
    But I am well-known for not being a nice person.

Or, turn off FB chat (best thing ever), and say that you didn't see some of the messages because they were going into that weird 'other' folder. Which, hopefully, will send the message that she needs to figure the shit out for herself, like an adult.
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• phiraphira member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    My sister has hinted multiple times that she might not want to bring her boyfriend (of 5 years) to my wedding. If they're still together when invites go out, the invite will be addressed to both of them. However, I've told her that if she doesn't want to bring him, she can bring someone else (basically, she can replace him with a different person), but that it's up to her to make that arrangement, and she can't come with him AND a friend.

I'd actually try to be polite to your uncle's girlfriend, not because she sounds LOVELY, but because my future sister-in-law gave me the cold shoulder when she decided I was asking too many questions, and it was really hurtful. Like, honey, I need to know when your reception ends because I'm renting a Zipcar.
    Anniversary
    now with ~* INCREASED SASSINESS *~
  • phira said:
    My sister has hinted multiple times that she might not want to bring her boyfriend (of 5 years) to my wedding. If they're still together when invites go out, the invite will be addressed to both of them. However, I've told her that if she doesn't want to bring him, she can bring someone else (basically, she can replace him with a different person), but that it's up to her to make that arrangement, and she can't come with him AND a friend.

I'd actually try to be polite to your uncle's girlfriend, not because she sounds LOVELY, but because my future sister-in-law gave me the cold shoulder when she decided I was asking too many questions, and it was really hurtful. Like, honey, I need to know when your reception ends because I'm renting a Zipcar.
    I know. I'm trying. I just hate seeing this girl using my uncle. I don't think she's genuine in any way. I've heard some seriously troubling things about her (arrests, drugs, theft). But I am trying. She could be my aunt someday..lol. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards