Wedding Reception Forum
Options

Parking an issue for venue?

If all there is is public parking a block away from a venue, what do you do?

Re: Parking an issue for venue?

• Options
    Is there ample enough parking that all your guests will be able to park there? And are all of your guests physically able to walk a block without much difficulty? If so, I think that's probably ok. If not, can you look into hiring a valet service?

• Options
    Check into pricing for a shuttle service, because even if they are all able body people, if the weather is bad, it's going to suck for the guests. It doesn't have to be anything fancy, it can even be a school bus. I'm not sure if school districts rent them out with drivers but I know in our area there are private transporation companies that use school buses. If you aren't going to provide a shuttle service please put in your invite the location of parking versus your venue so guests can dress accordingly (meaning then the women who love to wear schools that are fabulous but suck for walking in can bring flats to the walk in or make their husband/date drop them off at the door).
  • Options
    Jen4948Jen4948 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    Is there mass transportation in the area?
  • Options
    Erikan73 said:
    Check into pricing for a shuttle service, because even if they are all able body people, if the weather is bad, it's going to suck for the guests. It doesn't have to be anything fancy, it can even be a school bus. I'm not sure if school districts rent them out with drivers but I know in our area there are private transporation companies that use school buses. If you aren't going to provide a shuttle service please put in your invite the location of parking versus your venue so guests can dress accordingly (meaning then the women who love to wear schools that are fabulous but suck for walking in can bring flats to the walk in or make their husband/date drop them off at the door).
    FirstStudent rents out school busses and they are fairly affordable. That is what I am doing because there isn't much parking at my venue.
    Anniversary

• Options
    I'd pick another venue with a parking lot.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    A block ? I wouldn't do anything. People can get there from a block away.
  • Options
    Jen4948Jen4948 member
    edited May 2014
    I disagree.  Walking a block when the weather's bad, you're wearing high heels, bringing small kids, are elderly or have physical problems walking, such as my BF's mother who had a hip replacement and has arthritis, is too much to ask, and the bolded attitude suggests that you don't care about your guests' needs.
  • Options
    Jen4948Jen4948 member
    edited May 2014
    Oh get a grip. If you can't walk a block in your heels how are you going to walk across a ballroom? Small children walk a block all the time- many suburban parking lots are the length of a city block. And if you're disabled, you'll either get dropped off by someone you are driving with or ask someone to drop your car off or park closer because even places with no parking can often make arrangements for handicapped parking. Letting people walk a block does not suggest you don't care about your guests needs. Your guests are grown ups who can figure out how to take care of themselves just fine.
    This is bullshit.  You're making a lot of assumptions that don't always prove true in real life.  So you get a grip.  This attitude of "guests are grownups and can take care of themselves" is lazy and inconsiderate, because some guests can't take care of themselves or AREN'T "grownups,' nor can they walk a block or get a ride.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Whoa whoa whoa. All blocks are not created equal. We may all be picturing vastly different block lengths in our assumptions of whether or not people can easily traverse that distance.

OP, only you know your crowd and their limitations and the actual length of this block.

• Options
    I don't think OP needs to plan around the possibility her guests will be incapable of a) walking a block or b) making an alternate plan if they can't. Just like the would for any other occasion.
  • Options
    Jen4948Jen4948 member
    I don't think OP needs to plan around the possibility her guests will be incapable of a) walking a block or b) making an alternate plan if they can't. Just like the would for any other occasion.
    Let's agree to disagree on this.
  • Options
    I am with Starmoon on this one. 

• Options
    Jen4948Jen4948 member
    Don't be surprised if guests don't show up because they can't get down one block.
  • Options
    @Jen4948 are you kidding? Are you one of our new trolls?
  • Options
    Jen4948Jen4948 member
    edited May 2014
    No, of course not.  Calling me a troll because I disagree with you is name-calling.  @KnotPorscha?
  • Options
    Jen4948 said:
    No, of course not.  Calling me a troll because I disagree with you is name-calling.  KnotPorscha?
    Holy cow, no it's not. Lighten up. She asked you a question. 

• Options
    Jen4948Jen4948 member
    edited May 2014
    Jen4948 said:
    No, of course not.  Calling me a troll because I disagree with you is name-calling.  KnotPorscha?
    Holy cow, no it's not. Lighten up. She asked you a question. 
    Asking me if I''m one of our new trolls was not an appropriate "question." She can also "lighten up."
  • Options
    I would get a valet.  

Even though most people can get up the block without being uncomfortable, I would feel horrible if it were raining and everyone got drenched.  
  • Options
    Regardless of whether or not a person can walk a block, considering this is a reception for your guests, I would get a service. Especially if you're looking to have a more formal affair.  However, I come from a town that can have sudden downpours at any given moment (and it can stop within seconds as well) and our blocks aren't that small. So OP, you know your guests. 

imageimage

• Options
    I'd pick another venue with a parking lot.
    Yup.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Guys, do you really think walking a bock is that big a deal? I think it depends if it's a Boston block (tiny, walking across a grocery store parking lot is farther) or a Salt lake city block (huge).

Even if a venue has a parking lot, you will still probably get drenched if it's pouring out.

• Options
    edited May 2014
    Guys, do you really think walking a bock is that big a deal? I think it depends if it's a Boston block (tiny, walking across a grocery store parking lot is farther) or a Salt lake city block (huge).

Even if a venue has a parking lot, you will still probably get drenched if it's pouring out.

For a healthy 30 something like myself, no... for an 80 year old in a walker, yes. For a small child, possibly. It depends on who is coming. Not everyone wants to walk and people could get pissy about it.

I personally LOVE walking and would much prefer that than to be shuttled, but that's just me.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    The notion that people are incapable of walking one block is one of the reasons America is obese.  My venue is in the middle of NYC and has no parking lot.  People will have to *gasp* walk 3 blocks from the subway or bus stop to get there!!!  (Or they will walk several blocks from the hotel where we have a room block, or, if they are elderly or disabled, will get a cab or have someone drop them off).  

OP, I would maybe just hire a car to shuttle anyone who may be disabled or whatnot, but otherwise, everyone should be fine.  
  • Options
    hmmmm...what about walking BACK from the venue, after being on your feet all night or carrying a small sleeping child?

I think we need to know what a 'block' is considered here?
  • Options
    I agree as well. People are able to carry on as if it's not a wedding regardless of the situation. People are able to make their own parking accomodations.

Live fast, die young. Bad Girls do it well. Suki Zuki.

• Options
    My venue has an enormous parking lot. One could very easily end up walking the equivalent of 1-3 blocks, depending on how long of a "block" we're talking about, through the parking lot. This is the case ANYWHERE. But we'll have a valet for anyone who chooses to use it. Is it totally necessary? Probably not. They'd manage without it. But it's well worth the $250 it's costing me to ensure my guests' comfort.

• Options
    daria24daria24 member
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer
    I think a parking lot ONE BLOCK away is NBD. You could rent a couple golf carts to transport people or hire valet if you are really that worried about it.

But for an able bodied person whining that he or she can't walk in heels one block...wear flats next time. Every wedding I've been to has at least the equivalent of a block's walk, even with the parking lot attached to the venue. I've never heard any guest complain. And those with mobility issues get dropped off by the door.
  • Options
    Walking ONE BLOCK is no big deal.  A few people on here are really freaking out because of nothing.  If you can't walk that block, you get dropped out front of the venue; if you have a sleeping child at the end of the night that you have to carry, you either a) walk carrying the child, b) ask someone else to go get your car, or c) you figure it out like most parents do (this happens all the time).  I'm all for being considerate and thoughtful towards your guests comfort, but I also don't think that it's worth being completely dramatic and over the top about something that is a non-issue.

Maybe I have a different perspective from living in a major metropolitan area?  I've literally never been to an event where I didn't have to walk A LITTLE.  Even for events in major hotels, I still end up doing a fair amount of walking to and from ballrooms, or even, GASP from the parking lot AT THE VENUE.

@Jen4948, even if there were mass transit in the area, you'd end up having to walk from mass transit!  Very few places that I've been have a metro station IN the building-and the one building I used to work in that did, well you ended up having to walk almost a full block underground from the metro to the actual building entrance.  You seem to be very worked up about this and making a large fuss about something that really seems like a non-issue. (Though I do agree about bad weather-but even then, in a parking lot at the venue,  chances are that you still walk outside!)
  • Options
    Jen4948Jen4948 member
    Walking ONE BLOCK is no big deal.  A few people on here are really freaking out because of nothing.  If you can't walk that block, you get dropped out front of the venue; if you have a sleeping child at the end of the night that you have to carry, you either a) walk carrying the child, b) ask someone else to go get your car, or c) you figure it out like most parents do (this happens all the time).  I'm all for being considerate and thoughtful towards your guests comfort, but I also don't think that it's worth being completely dramatic and over the top about something that is a non-issue.

Maybe I have a different perspective from living in a major metropolitan area?  I've literally never been to an event where I didn't have to walk A LITTLE.  Even for events in major hotels, I still end up doing a fair amount of walking to and from ballrooms, or even, GASP from the parking lot AT THE VENUE.

@Jen4948, even if there were mass transit in the area, you'd end up having to walk from mass transit!  Very few places that I've been have a metro station IN the building-and the one building I used to work in that did, well you ended up having to walk almost a full block underground from the metro to the actual building entrance.  You seem to be very worked up about this and making a large fuss about something that really seems like a non-issue. (Though I do agree about bad weather-but even then, in a parking lot at the venue,  chances are that you still walk outside!)
    Who's supposed to drop you off if you can't walk that block? And sorry, but no adult appreciates being told to "figure it out" if not told in advance that there's a block between the venues that they can't walk, have sleeping children to carry, or the weather's bad. (while dressed up). If any of those are the case, one block is like hell. And yeah, I agree that if there's mass transit, you're still going to have to do some walking.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards