Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Engagement photos

We have our engagement photo session this week. Yay! After lurking here for the last few months I started to wonder if we might be doing something side-eye worthy. My FI proposed Christmas Eve with a Green Bay Packer Jersey. I opened the box and was excited because I thought it was just a Packer Jersey. Turns out it was a customized Jersey which he told me to turn around because, "it had my last name on it if I said yes." FI ordered a customized jersey with his last name on it also. He really wants to wear them for our engagement photos. I think it is neat to get photos taken in the jersey he proposed with. However I wonder if people will side-eye the fact that my name obviously won't change until our wedding in December. We have other outfits that engagement photos will be taken in as well. And whatever save the date photo(s) we select I will make sure it doesn't show the last name. What do you think? Take the photos or skip it?

Re: Engagement photos

• Options
    auriannaaurianna member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited May 2014
    I know I'd personally not side-eye this (and I'm pretty judgy).
    As PP said it would be cute for thank you cards.

But even if you just want to have the picture in your house or something...  Assuming you don't shove this picture down everyone's throats (make it your facebook picture, put it on a greeting card before you're already married, etc), if it's just a couple pictures out your whole session, I'd just do it. (and I assume you won't have your back towards the camera in every shot, either!)

Maybe I'm giving bad advice, but as this was something specifically central to your engagement, I think anyone that would get bent out of shape that it ends up in a few of your engagement photos obviously needs a hobby or something.
  • Options
    WeeshWeesh member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    I'd say wear it.  It obviously means something to your fiance and to you, and that's what matters for the pictures and for you.  Have a good time with it!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I'd wear it. As the other ladies said, you can always use the pictures for Thank You cards, Christmas cards, and framed in your house. I'd definitely put those up on FB after you're married.
  • Options
    Thanks ladies. I love the idea of using them for thank you cards. Just ran that by FI and he liked the idea too.
  • Options
    misshart00misshart00 member
    edited May 2014
    I'd wear it. It's fun and cute. You're saying you're the future mrs. Xyz in my mind.
  • Options
    phiraphira member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    It's cute, not weird. I wouldn't think anything of it.
    Anniversary
    now with ~* INCREASED SASSINESS *~
  • Options
    doeydodoeydo member
    Go ahead and take the pictures.  Personally, I wouldn't "use" the pictures until after the wedding, though.  Also, I love your siggy picture.  
  • Options
    I'd think it was cute. And I don't even like sports or personalised jerseys or matchy-matchy stuff.
    Anniversary

I'm gonna go with 'not my circus, not my monkeys.'
  • Options
    I don't know if I'd use something with your married name prior to being married, but as others have said, it would be adorable for thank you cards, etc. It would add a nice personal touch if you're both Packers fans.
  • Options
    Thanks @doeydo Getting them both to sit for a photo was interesting to say the least. :)
  • Options
    @downtondiva Oh yes...we are HUGE packer fans. We live about 25 minutes from Lambeau Field and try and make it to a few games a year. They also have a Pub in the stadium open year round that we frequent for date nights.
  • Options
    biggrouchbiggrouch member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited May 2014
    I agree it's a great idea for the photos, especially with the cute engagement story to go with it. And btw, I think you should show the pictures to whomever you want, whenever you want. It's going to be your name too; I don't feel like you should have to politely refrain from trotting it out for a spin in a playful situation, or whenever it feels right and meaningful to you actually, just because it's not legal yet. I mean, unless it's Prince Harry you're getting married to, in which case, you do probably have to be super careful. It wouldn't be a good idea to accidentally falsely imply that you are a member of the royal court. :)

Generally, I think it's bad enough that so many women get pressured into changing their names (not you, sweetwisconsin, I'm sure you chose it freely and your fiance sounds like a doll) but it seems almost equally unfair to be judged for acting out or trying on the name change in any way before it actually happens, like they don't have the right to "own" it psychologically unless it's been sanctioned by having a husband... IDK. If you're planning on changing it, IMO you get to approach it whichever way you want to, as long as you're not lying or hurting anyone. Basically, ignore any thoughts of side-eyes and enjoy your photo shoot!
  • Options
    I would not judge that.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    I wouldn't judge it even if you used them before the wedding. Like I said before, it looks more like "hey, I'm going to be the future mrs..."
  • Options
    i agree with the PPs, do it!! It'll be adorable and it holds special meaning for the two of you
  • Options
    Jen4948Jen4948 member
    I wouldn't side-eye you.  It's a cute idea.
  • Options
    tcnobletcnoble member
    First Comment First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its
    We have our engagement photo session this week. Yay! After lurking here for the last few months I started to wonder if we might be doing something side-eye worthy. My FI proposed Christmas Eve with a Green Bay Packer Jersey. I opened the box and was excited because I thought it was just a Packer Jersey. Turns out it was a customized Jersey which he told me to turn around because, "it had my last name on it if I said yes." FI ordered a customized jersey with his last name on it also. He really wants to wear them for our engagement photos. I think it is neat to get photos taken in the jersey he proposed with. However I wonder if people will side-eye the fact that my name obviously won't change until our wedding in December. We have other outfits that engagement photos will be taken in as well. And whatever save the date photo(s) we select I will make sure it doesn't show the last name. What do you think? Take the photos or skip it?

I don't have anything to say besides GO PACK GO!!!! I'm from Green Bay and my dad played 1985-1993. Wear your green and gold for sure!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    YAY! Another Green Bay bride! Where are you getting married? Where's the reception? Lets talk!

And yes, totally wear the jerseysl

Amor vincet omnia.... par liones.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    SP29SP29 member
    Go for it! 
  • Options
    @tcnoble Go Pack go!!!! So neat that your dad played for the Packers. My FI and I are die hard fans as everyone else here in Wisconsin. :)

@HeatherKat YAY! So exciting to meet other Wisconsin brides on here. Our area board always seems a little dead. We are getting married right here in Appleton and are having the reception at Fox Banquets. I am praying there isn't a blizzard the day we get married. How about you, are you getting married in Green Bay?
  • Options
    @beethery Showed FI this and he practically skipped with joy. If we had more time taking photos today we totally would have (FI lost his keys in the woods and it started to rain). I did however throw in an awkward finger point with goofy face at his last name on his jersey. My poor photographer...I hope I don't look like a goon in at least one.
  • Options
    @sweetwisconsin, you can always do that pose with your family members around you at the reception or something. 
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• Options
    @sweetwisconsin: I know, the Wisconsin boards seem to be helpful if you're getting married in Milwaukee or Madison, but less so for areas farther north. We're getting married at Pamperin Park (hopefully! You can only book one year out, so I won't know for a week or two if we can get the space/time that we want. I'm stressing just a little!), then the reception will be at Green Bay Distillery, right by La-la-la-Lambeau! We met while we were both working there, so it's got some special memories, and I can't wait to make more :)
    Amor vincet omnia.... par liones.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    If you're allowed to share any, we'd love to see!

image   image   image

• Options
    Just wanted to say: Go Packers! :)  My brother is a huge fan, so I root for them too.  In Oregon we didn't have a football team and I can't root for Seattle, I just can't (especially being a Timbers fan). 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    @sugargirl1019 as soon as we get them I will definitely post an update. I hope there is a few decent ones for our STDs. 
  • Options
    @heatherkat So weird that Pamperin Park only allows one year in advance. Im crossing my fingers that you get the date you want. My FI would die to have the reception at the Green Bay Distillery (He makes his own home brewed beer). We even threw the idea of having the reception at Lambeau Field, but decided since it is a winter wedding we didn't want to chance guests driving all the way from Appleton to Green Bay. Keep me updated on if you guys get the park! I am sure it will work out.
  • Options
    Sars06Sars06 member
    5 Love Its First Comment First Anniversary Name Dropper
    I have nothing to add but GO PACK GO!

• Options
    wrigleyvillewrigleyville member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited May 2014
    Since you couldn't do that shot during your engagement photos, maybe you can find a way to include it in your wedding photos. (The shot of him handing you the jersey, that is.)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards