Getting in Shape

Wedding isn't for awhile... but still want to TONE UP!

I am recently engaged and even though we have not really begun to plan the wedding I still want to start working on my body and making sure I am wedding ready. The wedding is being put off for about a year to 2 years tops but when do you think is a good time to start working out? I also kind of really like the idea of doing a wedding boudoir shoot and have that be a gift for him so I know I have stuff to work on. Tips and advice much needed :)

Re: Wedding isn't for awhile... but still want to TONE UP!

• It's never too early to start working out! I did talk about this in a different post, so I'll just repeat what I said there... As a kinesiology minor, it bothers me that most people just assume a ton of cardio will help you lose weight, get fit, and as you say "tone" without getting bulky so it is important that you know "toning up" requires a balance of cardio and weight training (weights build muscle and muscle burns fat). Do some research into the proper way to lift. There are tons of resources online to teach you proper lifting techniques. Don't get into a "routine" either. That will make you plateau faster. I usually run 5k (although I am currently training for a 10k) or bike 20k every other day for my cardio and then on my weight days I do about 5-15 mins cardio (usually elliptical) to warm up my body and then alternate through target areas (one day might be all abs and legs work outs, next day may be arms, another may be shoulders and back, etc.). Balance is key and by all means eat enough. 
    Contrary to what most people in our day and age believe, food can be our friend and not our enemy. Eat the right foods. You need good carbs for those cardio heavy days and protein for those weight training days. By all means, don't deprive yourself of those "guilty pleasures" either. If you deprive yourself, you are more likely to binge later. When I crave ice cream, I eat ice cream but I'll watch my portions and give myself a cup full instead of a big whopping bowl or if I want to order some deep fried pickles at the restaurant, I will but I'll keep that in mind and watch what I eat in the following days... today I totally binged on all you can eat sushi, celebrating my last dress fitting with my mom. Since I do not plan on working out this weekend I will be keeping this in my mind as I make my eating choices in the following days and will get right back to it after the long weekend. I love to cook and I love to eat. I am a huge foodie and I found I am a lot happier and have a much easier time managing my weight now that I don't deprive myself.

Anniversary

BabyFruit Ticker

• try the tone it up series! that's what i'm using now and it's pretty effective. it's an online series and you can sign up for a certain series and they will send you an email with that weeks work out video and some neat recipes.
  • Try Bridalicious Boot Camp
  • It's never to early to start getting in better shape! :)

My wedding is still 15 months away, so while there's a lot of time to procrastinate, there's also a lot of time to find what works for me. (Especially having a thyroid problem that makes everything just a little bit more difficult. fun fun).

My outlook has always been to get into the shape that makes me happy BEFORE buying the wedding dress, instead of buying a wedding dress and trying to make yourself happy in it. (hence why im not going wedding dress shopping for another 5 months haha)

Take some time to do some research into different methods, ie. going to the gym, home videos, running programs, weight programs etc. Find something that you find fun, otherwise it will become a chore that you will have a hard time sticking too. And definitely switch it up now and then to break the routine and make sure you don't get stuck in a rut.

I personally hate going to the gym and have never been able to stick with it. However I am blessed to live in a very scenic and hilly area so I go on long walks through the forests so theres lots of hills to run up etc, and im not just staring blankly at a wall. And then I do weights at home every other day.
  • It's never to early to start getting in better shape! :)

My wedding is still 15 months away, so while there's a lot of time to procrastinate, there's also a lot of time to find what works for me. (Especially having a thyroid problem that makes everything just a little bit more difficult. fun fun).

My outlook has always been to get into the shape that makes me happy BEFORE buying the wedding dress, instead of buying a wedding dress and trying to make yourself happy in it. (hence why im not going wedding dress shopping for another 5 months haha)

Take some time to do some research into different methods, ie. going to the gym, home videos, running programs, weight programs etc. Find something that you find fun, otherwise it will become a chore that you will have a hard time sticking too. And definitely switch it up now and then to break the routine and make sure you don't get stuck in a rut.

I personally hate going to the gym and have never been able to stick with it. However I am blessed to live in a very scenic and hilly area so I go on long walks through the forests so theres lots of hills to run up etc, and im not just staring blankly at a wall. And then I do weights at home every other day. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards