Snarky Brides

"How to Know when You're at a Hipster Wedding"

Re: "How to Know when You're at a Hipster Wedding"

• Inkdancer said:

Great. For me to go normcore, the waist of my jeans would be over my bra strap apparently. Since the crop tops don't even try to cover the American Alps on my chest.

Same here. Crop tops on me = visible nips.

I am so tempted to try one on. But, yeah, whole new meaning of your nipples are showing and it's not a wardrobe malfunction. It's same as original - malfunction of the brain, not the costume.
  • Zooey Deschenel anyone?! "Oooh look at me, I'm so nerdy and quirky because I wear big stupid glasses and wing tip shoes". They purposely try to wear things that they think are out of style or uncool. All hipsters think they are quirky and unique when they are really just all the same.

Where a lot of my friends live in Brighton (a section of Boston) there is a huge Yuppie fad going on. With the Sperry boat shoes, aviator sunglasses, Vera Bradley or Kate Spade bags. They like to look like they're going to the yacht club even though they are just broke ass recent grads.

• Inkdancer said:
    I've been to actual hippie weddings. (Including my own, many years ago.) There were drugs, and questionable fashion, but no antlers. Jingles the leather worker wore some feathers to a wedding once. That's close to antlers, I guess. But he didn't buy his feathers. He found them in the forest, and it was beautiful. So yes, maybe drugs.
    Hippies and hipsters are two very different things.
    THIS.  Hippies are pretty much the opposite of hipsters, as much as hipsters attempt to duplicate their "Style."  Hippies go to a music festival because they genuinely love music and want to go dance and enjoy themselves, and meet new people- and they are very nice.  At Vibes it was just a big cluster of hippies who were nothing but nice.  We actually had campers next to us offer us breakfast for no other reason than they were generous.  Everyone we met we hugged and shook hands with and just got along with really well.

Hipsters go to the festival so that they can blog about it and brag to their friends about how cultured they are and what great music they listen to.  They want you to know that they are better than you and look down at you for dancing (Yes, FI has actually been confronted by stupid hipsters asking him "Do you even KNOW this band?" because apparently the only way to appreciate music is to stand there quietly with a pissy face.)  The hippies have torn shorts because they have been worn so much and got ripped over time.  The hipsters have torn shorts that are brand new and cost $80. 

Ask about a band someone doesn't know.  Hippie will go "Haven't heard them, are they any good?" Hipster will pretend they know more about that band than you do.

Guys as annoying as hipsters are when you see them in daily life, they are SO MUCH MORE ANNOYING when you're trying to enjoy a show or festival and they just have to give you shit about it.
  • @HaileyDancingBear Everything you said about Vibes is so true!  I went every year through teenager-dom with my dad, so I think I missed the hipster wave.  Don't tell me hipsters have taken over Vibes, too??

Also this.  This explains everything about hipsters:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_IzYUJANfk
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

• edited May 2014
    @JCbride2015 They have not.  Vibes is still full of awesome hippies, with maybe a hipster or two sprinkled about.  I was thinking more about some shows at Toad's place when talking about the hipsters, depending on who you see you can end up in hipster central.  There are a lot of annoying EDM kids at vibes now, but they only come out really late to go to some of the more ravey shows, you don't see them when the good bands are playing.  FI and I went to one of the EDM shows because it was one of the guys from beats antique playing- awesome, fusion belly dancing music inspiration?  So there! 

Nope, the same exact beat played the whole time and it just sounded like crappy club music except with more weird noises.  Don't get me wrong, I enjoy lots of electronic music, but I won't be won over by lame repetitiveness. Also the crowd was full of either a bunch of teens or adults that still look like teens who were too drugged to care about the music and kinda just bounced in one place while wearing power ranger stuff or tutus with neon tights and all that dumb EDM stuff.  FI and I got super bored and left.  We were so let down, we LOVE Beats Antique but this person brought none of that background to this show.

And that video cracks me up so much.  They're all trying SO HARD to be cool!
  • Ohmygod, I just fell over laughing. I realized I have a picture of Miss Adorable Daughter as a hipster bridesmaid, from a styled wedding shoot in LA a couple of years ago. Complete with frikking train tracks. We just screamed when we found it. Yep, just walking down the train tracks on her way to the wedding, like everyone does. Too funny. The Principessa as hipster bridesmaid:
  • CC0805CC0805 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    Oh, and the next evolution of hipster culture currently working its way through NYC is "normcore."  Dressing like a 90's mom or dad on purpose.  Think white sneakers, mom jeans, crew neck sweatshirts, fanny packs.
    I've seen this and it's driving me crazy.  I went to a concert in Brooklyn of a lesser known band that I absolutely love.  The venue itself was quite interesting...  don't want to offend anyone so I won't name it but it was definitely a hipster venue... 

Anyway, there were quite a few "normcore" girls walking around and I wanted to gag.  At least there weren't as many bearded men with flanel shirts and suspenders who have probably never been camping in their life around as I expected. 

And the lead singer bumped into me in the crowd before their set.  Ended up having a blast.  As well as a bit of whiplash from the pit...
  • CC0805CC0805 member

Inkdancer said:
    I've been to actual hippie weddings. (Including my own, many years ago.) There were drugs, and questionable fashion, but no antlers. Jingles the leather worker wore some feathers to a wedding once. That's close to antlers, I guess. But he didn't buy his feathers. He found them in the forest, and it was beautiful. So yes, maybe drugs.
    Hippies and hipsters are two very different things.

Hipsters go to the festival so that they can blog about it and brag to their friends about how cultured they are and what great music they listen to.  They want you to know that they are better than you and look down at you for dancing (Yes, FI has actually been confronted by stupid hipsters asking him "Do you even KNOW this band?" because apparently the only way to appreciate music is to stand there quietly with a pissy face.)  The hippies have torn shorts because they have been worn so much and got ripped over time.  The hipsters have torn shorts that are brand new and cost $80. 

Ask about a band someone doesn't know.  Hippie will go "Haven't heard them, are they any good?" Hipster will pretend they know more about that band than you do.

This!!! (boxes?) 

This concert wasn't exactly a festival, but there were quite a few bands.  All the hipsters were just standing there watching the opening bands (two of which were actually pretty great) looking like zombies.  I felt so weird when I started dancing since I wasn't a robot.  I was so relieved when the headliners came on and the actual fans showed up.  Brought life (and a pit) to the crowd.  All the hipsters ended up moving the back since they couldn't handle the energy.
  • CC0805 said:
    Oh, and the next evolution of hipster culture currently working its way through NYC is "normcore."  Dressing like a 90's mom or dad on purpose.  Think white sneakers, mom jeans, crew neck sweatshirts, fanny packs.
    I've seen this and it's driving me crazy.  I went to a concert in Brooklyn of a lesser known band that I absolutely love.  The venue itself was quite interesting...  don't want to offend anyone so I won't name it but it was definitely a hipster venue... 

Anyway, there were quite a few "normcore" girls walking around and I wanted to gag.  At least there weren't as many bearded men with flanel shirts and suspenders who have probably never been camping in their life around as I expected. 

And the lead singer bumped into me in the crowd before their set.  Ended up having a blast.  As well as a bit of whiplash from the pit...
    hey now don't label all bearded men! My FI has a 6 inch beard and wears flanel and he's the opposite of a hipster. He's a legit burly man dirty mechanic and he loves his flanel lol 

• It's the meticulously groomed to be ungroomed beard + $150+ designer tattered flannel + suspenders. Legit beard and flannel is fine.
  • jenna8984 said:
    CC0805 said:

hey now don't label all bearded men! My FI has a 6 inch beard and wears flanel and he's the opposite of a hipster. He's a legit burly man dirty mechanic and he loves his flanel lol 
    My FI wears flannel too. He loves his warm flannels. He only has a beard when during the fall/winter, says it keeps his face warm during hunting season

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • jenna8984 said:

Zooey Deschenel anyone?! "Oooh look at me, I'm so nerdy and quirky because I wear big stupid glasses and wing tip shoes". They purposely try to wear things that they think are out of style or uncool. All hipsters think they are quirky and unique when they are really just all the same.

Where a lot of my friends live in Brighton (a section of Boston) there is a huge Yuppie fad going on. With the Sperry boat shoes, aviator sunglasses, Vera Bradley or Kate Spade bags. They like to look like they're going to the yacht club even though they are just broke ass recent grads.

But I love kate spade bags! Idc about the name I just think they are so pretty
  • JCbride2015JCbride2015 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited May 2014
    buttercup1958 said: jenna8984 said: Zooey Deschenel anyone?! "Oooh look at me, I'm so nerdy and quirky because I wear big stupid glasses and wing tip shoes". They purposely try to wear things that they think are out of style or uncool. All hipsters think they are quirky and unique when they are really just all the same. Where a lot of my friends live in Brighton (a section of Boston) there is a huge Yuppie fad going on. With the Sperry boat shoes, aviator sunglasses, Vera Bradley or Kate Spade bags. They like to look like they're going to the yacht club even though they are just broke ass recent grads. But I love kate spade bags! Idc about the name I just think they are so pretty

---------Oh, Box Gods, why do you never smile upon me?-----------

This yuppie/preppy fad doesn't bother me so much.  Prep has been around for a long time.  I am fairly preppy myself and my work bag is Kate Spade!  Hipsters bother me more because they are
    pretending to be bohemian or rough-around-the-edges when everything in reality is carefully groomed.  At least preps aren't fooling anybody.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Hipsters:

They're also responsible for the stupid mustache trend:

• CC0805CC0805 member
    jenna8984 said:
    CC0805 said:

haha good for him!  Have him wear his flannel with pride!  It's the ones who you just KNOW with their mani/pedis and well coifed hair that took hours to make look sloppy that are just trying to be cool.  We all know (insert name of Tim Allen's Tool Time cohost since I can't for the life of me remember) loved his flanel and beard too! 
  • CC0805 said:

Ok, Hipster Pit story time.  FI went to see Ice age at toad's place.  A bit of background, Iggy Pop called these guys one of the last dangerous punk bands.  Definitely pits at their shows, at one point during this paticular show, someone got thrown into the lead guitarist- their face hit the guitar strings, playing a note, and the dude just is not fazed, doesn't miss a single note. 

FI goes in and it's mostly hipsters.  They've all got that nasty little "I think I'm better than you" sneer on their faces, this was when someone actually did ask FI "Do you even KNOW this band?" and these jerks just stand around and blog through the show.  FI and his friends started up a pit.  All the real fans, who had been nervous about doing so (They figured they'd get kicked out for being rowdy when they saw the crowd) joined in.  People started shoving the hipsters into the pit, at one point the lead singer (Punk bands do not like hipsters.  Hipsters are ruining punk) uses the mic stand to hook a hipster by the collar of his shirt and shove him into the pit.

Of course nobody was actually hurt, but the real fans had some fun messing with the hipsters, who apparently did not know this band if they thought they would be blogging during the whole show. 
  • FiancBFiancB member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    Oh god. This is the first I've heard of normcore. I thought the 90s was one trend that would safely stay away. Scrunchies and overalls, anyone?
  • @cc0805 Al Boreland!! hahaha

• Oh, and the next evolution of hipster culture currently working its way through NYC is "normcore."  Dressing like a 90's mom or dad on purpose.  Think white sneakers, mom jeans, crew neck sweatshirts, fanny packs.
    Aww hell naw!
  • 90's jeans are the WORST. Why can't flattering clothes be fashionable ALL the time?
    Oh they are…Ann Taylor and Loft are my go to's for everyday wear.  I really express myself with accessories.
  • afox007afox007 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    FiancB said:
    Oh god. This is the first I've heard of normcore. I thought the 90s was one trend that would safely stay away. Scrunchies and overalls, anyone?
    I had hoped the 90's would stay away and was horrified when I went to the mall with my BFF. Every display window looked like my childhood wardrobe threw up in it. Overalls, floral and denim dresses, and those lovely shirt's with the snaps at the crotch that always remind me of onsies.  
  • CC0805CC0805 member
    CC0805 said:

Ok, Hipster Pit story time.  FI went to see Ice age at toad's place.  A bit of background, Iggy Pop called these guys one of the last dangerous punk bands.  Definitely pits at their shows, at one point during this paticular show, someone got thrown into the lead guitarist- their face hit the guitar strings, playing a note, and the dude just is not fazed, doesn't miss a single note. 

FI goes in and it's mostly hipsters.  They've all got that nasty little "I think I'm better than you" sneer on their faces, this was when someone actually did ask FI "Do you even KNOW this band?" and these jerks just stand around and blog through the show.  FI and his friends started up a pit.  All the real fans, who had been nervous about doing so (They figured they'd get kicked out for being rowdy when they saw the crowd) joined in.  People started shoving the hipsters into the pit, at one point the lead singer (Punk bands do not like hipsters.  Hipsters are ruining punk) uses the mic stand to hook a hipster by the collar of his shirt and shove him into the pit.

Of course nobody was actually hurt, but the real fans had some fun messing with the hipsters, who apparently did not know this band if they thought they would be blogging during the whole show. 
    hahahahahahaha That's fantastic!!!  I would have LOVED to see that! 

And thanks @jenna8984 that's been bugging me for a while!
  • 90's jeans are the WORST. Why can't flattering clothes be fashionable ALL the time?
    Flattering clothes are fashionable all the time - you just have to stick with the classics!
  • @JCbride2015 I'm pretty sure if I could afford it I would buy all the kate spades. I think I'm just me so I don't know how to label myself. My brother calls me a hipster because I shop at places like modcloth..

• @JCbride2015 I'm pretty sure if I could afford it I would buy all the kate spades. I think I'm just me so I don't know how to label myself. My brother calls me a hipster because I shop at places like modcloth..
    I don't think Modcloth makes you a hipster.  Hipster is more of the attitude.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Okay guys, THIS is normcore.  This dude was eating at the same restaurant in the Flatiron we went to after my graduation.  You can't see, but he's wearing purple sweatpants.  You see the flowered sweatshirt.  And you can sort of see the RATTAIL in this photo.

His date was very well-dressed; he sort of looked like he had come from a business casual office with a bit of hipster flair.  So I don't think it's that Normcore Dude is totally clueless, because he snagged a fashionable-looking guy.  I think this is a deliberate style choice!

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• I hoping to see "Is the wedding held underground?" on that chart.  
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• I hoping to see "Is the wedding held underground?" on that chart.  
    @goldchocobo Is that a thing now?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• LOL Dont hipsters pride themselves as loving underground things?  "Meh, this band?  They are so underground, you probably never heard of them."

Or perhaps a hipster wedding would be near a tributary since they don't like mainstreams.

I feel really punny today.  Ugh.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• @JCbride2015 I don't take him too seriously since he asked me how i can find shark teeth in carmel church hill. Thats near richmond, and he doesn't believe that virginia was underwater around 14 million years ago. Yep because the shark just happen to flop themselves on land and bash their teeth against rocks for shits and giggles
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards