Snarky Brides

WWTKD?

So I want to see what the snarky brides of TK would do in this situation:

I got married on Saturday. About 2 hours before the wedding started, my cake fell over. My DOC had told the person who delivered the cake that it looked like it was crooked. They said it was fine and left. DOC left to go take care of a few things and when she came back the top of the cake was upside down smashed on the cake table. She called the baker freaking out and they came back out and were able to fix the cake. She was pissed and says I need to tell them I want my money back. My feeling is, they fixed the cake and while I know it was a lot of stress on her, it ended up looking fine. My only problem is that the cake landed upside down and so my cake topper broke. They were able to make it look presentable, but it's definitely not what it was supposed to be and I don't want to keep it now since it's broken. 

Would you ask them for any money back or would you just let it go? I'm supposed to return their cake supports to them tomorrow to get my deposit back and I'm not sure if I should even say anything.

Re: WWTKD?

• I would ask them to replace the cake topper.  But I would not ask for any money back since they came back out and fixed the issue.

• Yeah I'm totally fine with how the cake turned out. It was beautiful and honestly I didn't even care when it happened before they fixed it. It happened. It was what it was. I am disappointed about the cake topper though and maybe a little more so because I paid almost $100 for the cake topper. I'm just not sure how to approach it with them. It isn't something that they can replace because I had it custom made so I guess the only thing they could do is give me money back so that I could go to the place and have another one made for me.
  • Yeah I'm totally fine with how the cake turned out. It was beautiful and honestly I didn't even care when it happened before they fixed it. It happened. It was what it was. I am disappointed about the cake topper though and maybe a little more so because I paid almost $100 for the cake topper. I'm just not sure how to approach it with them. It isn't something that they can replace because I had it custom made so I guess the only thing they could do is give me money back so that I could go to the place and have another one made for me.
    I would call them or email them and say that you appreciate their quick response in coming back out and fixing your cake but that unfortunately your custom made cake topper was broken due to the top tier falling on the table.  Say that you in no way want money back due to the cake falling but that you would like for them to either replace or compensate you for your topper since it was broken due to the mishap.

• @shrekspeare - I was just planning on saving the cake topper with all my other wedding stuff. DH said it would probably be fine even if they just offered to let us get something from them in the future for an event so we definitely thought of that. Here are pictures of the collapsed cake and after they fixed it. I don't have any pictures of it before it fell over.

I would call them or email them and say that you appreciate their quick response in coming back out and fixing your cake but that unfortunately your custom made cake topper was broken due to the top tier falling on the table.  Say that you in no way want money back due to the cake falling but that you would like for them to either replace or compensate you for your topper since it was broken due to the mishap.
    I agree - it's not like it was a $10 topper from Michael's, and if you were planning to save it as a keepsake, you should ask them to replace it/compensate you for the loss.  Part of making a wedding cake is making sure it stays together until it's cut.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @shrekspeare - I was just planning on saving the cake topper with all my other wedding stuff. DH said it would probably be fine even if they just offered to let us get something from them in the future for an event so we definitely thought of that. Here are pictures of the collapsed cake and after they fixed it. I don't have any pictures of it before it fell over.

Oh good. Make sure they see the picture. Maybe attach it in the email that Maggie suggested you send.
    My sister/MOH actually e-mailed them the picture on Saturday because when my DOC was yelling at them that the cake was ruined they were acting like she was being a drama queen and I think they weren't going to come back out at first until my sister sent them the picture.
  • I will say that they did an amazing job at fixing it.  You can't even tell that it fell over.

• I will say that they did an amazing job at fixing it.  You can't even tell that it fell over.
    Yeah they definitely did a great job fixing it which is why I kind of ignored my DOC about getting my money back for the cake. 
  • Is is a small company or a larger company? Anyone above who helped you- management, owner- needs to know.  The cake was flawed either in creation or not transported correctly, and they need not do that to another bride.

Yelp about it.  

• Is is a small company or a larger company? Anyone above who helped you- management, owner- needs to know.  The cake was flawed either in creation or not transported correctly, and they need not do that to another bride.

Yelp about it.  
    It's a very small company. There are maybe 5 employees and I wasn't there when all of this happened, but my DOC told me she believes the owner is the one who delivered it and then came back out and fixed it. 

• I wonder how it fell over?  I wonder if someone bumped into the table because the rest of the cake looked pretty darn sturdy.

I mean, I know it doesn't matter either way but this is just me wondering.

• ElcaBElcaB member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    It does look pretty flawless in the photo. 

Did you have any sort of contract with the cake people? 
  • KGold80KGold80 member
    First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    I'd make sure management knows about the issue so they can avoid making such mistakes in the future, but they did a damn fine job fixing it! The cake was beautiful! That said, I would ask to be compensated for the value of the custom cake topper you purchased - whether that is in the form of cash or credit towards a future purchase.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• I wonder how it fell over?  I wonder if someone bumped into the table because the rest of the cake looked pretty darn sturdy.

I mean, I know it doesn't matter either way but this is just me wondering.
    The DOC said that it was leaning when they set it up. There was nobody in the building when it fell over so I'm thinking it was off center and it eventually just slid off.
  • Did you buy the cake topper through them or separately? I think that would impact how I would approach it.

I'd probably start by telling them how much you loved the cake and how you appreciated the emergency save. Then I'd mention how you planned to keep the topper as a keepsake and how upset you were by it breaking. If they sold it, ask them if they can get you a second as a keepsake. If you bought it elsewhere, show them the receipt (if available) and ask if they would help you purchase a replacement.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Rebl90Rebl90 member
    First Comment 5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper
    I'm so sorry you lost something special to you, the cake turned out beautifully despite it's crisis! I definitely agree with bringing it up to them, it would really be amazing on their end to offer some sort of compensation. 

BUT, before you do, I would recommend checking your contract with them.  I worked as a wedding consultant for a few years with a small bakery and we had a clause regarding cake toppers and the fact that we did not recommend any glass, ceramic, or otherwise extremely fragile (or heavy) toppers. I've seen cake toppers that were too heavy destroy a cake.  Because we had that in our contract, we told everyone we were not responsible for replacing any broken items if the topper fell in that criteria.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Wow, they really did fix it beautifully. 

I'd ask to be compensated for the broken cake topper. 
  • Rebl90 said:
    I'm so sorry you lost something special to you, the cake turned out beautifully despite it's crisis! I definitely agree with bringing it up to them, it would really be amazing on their end to offer some sort of compensation. 

BUT, before you do, I would recommend checking your contract with them.  I worked as a wedding consultant for a few years with a small bakery and we had a clause regarding cake toppers and the fact that we did not recommend any glass, ceramic, or otherwise extremely fragile (or heavy) toppers. I've seen cake toppers that were too heavy destroy a cake.  Because we had that in our contract, we told everyone we were not responsible for replacing any broken items if the topper fell in that criteria.  
    That was a good point so I went back and checked my contract. The only thing it says about the cake topper was that I would provide it. They've actually had the cake topper for about 2 months because she asked me to bring it before so that they could match up the other gum paste flowers with it and make sure that it would fit on the top tier so if there was a problem with it being too heavy or anything like that then they would have known way ahead of time.
  • phiraphira member
    I'd ask for compensation for the cake topper, since it was expensive and it's a wedding memento.

However, I'd also thank them for their hard work fixing the cake because hot damn, I thought the "after" photo was a "before" photo. They totally fixed the problem.

Regardless, I would Yelp/review them. I think it's really important that they get public acknowledgment for how well they handled the situation (with the cake falling over). You can then either mention that they also reimbursed you for the broken topper (another positive thing, if they do that), or mention that they didn't (a negative, but true thing that people should know).
    Anniversary
    now with ~* INCREASED SASSINESS *~
  • Ditto phira. Stories of fixing a bad situation are better to me than glowing reviews. And I think they should reimburse you for the topper, but I would ask super nicely after thanking them profusely for fixing it so nicely.

• Rebl90Rebl90 member
    First Comment 5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Rebl90 said:

That was a good point so I went back and checked my contract. The only thing it says about the cake topper was that I would provide it. They've actually had the cake topper for about 2 months because she asked me to bring it before so that they could match up the other gum paste flowers with it and make sure that it would fit on the top tier so if there was a problem with it being too heavy or anything like that then they would have known way ahead of time.
    Awesome! Then it is definitely on them.  They had more than enough time with the topper so I would ask for compensation. GL!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • CMGragainCMGragain member
    edited May 2014
    I saw this happen at a wedding some years ago.  The bride wanted an outdoor wedding, and it was 100 degrees F. in eastern Maryland.  The frosting simply melted in the heat.  Nobody really cared.  There was enough cake to go around.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • phira said:
    I'd ask for compensation for the cake topper, since it was expensive and it's a wedding memento.

However, I'd also thank them for their hard work fixing the cake because hot damn, I thought the "after" photo was a "before" photo. They totally fixed the problem.

Regardless, I would Yelp/review them. I think it's really important that they get public acknowledgment for how well they handled the situation (with the cake falling over). You can then either mention that they also reimbursed you for the broken topper (another positive thing, if they do that), or mention that they didn't (a negative, but true thing that people should know).
    Yes I definitely planned on thanking them for fixing the situation because really nobody would have ever known that the cake fell over. They really did do a great job fixing it!
  • So I went to the bakery today to return their things. The owner was out when I got there so I just talked to the girl behind the counter. I thanked them for fixing the cake and let them know it looked beautiful and tasted delicious. She told me that the owner had left the envelope with the tip that we left for the delivery person in it and to give that back to whoever brought my stuff in. I said something to her about the cake topper and she told me that she would have to talk to the owner and they will get back to me.
  • So I want to see what the snarky brides of TK would do in this situation:

I got married on Saturday. About 2 hours before the wedding started, my cake fell over. My DOC had told the person who delivered the cake that it looked like it was crooked. They said it was fine and left. DOC left to go take care of a few things and when she came back the top of the cake was upside down smashed on the cake table. She called the baker freaking out and they came back out and were able to fix the cake. She was pissed and says I need to tell them I want my money back. My feeling is, they fixed the cake and while I know it was a lot of stress on her, it ended up looking fine. My only problem is that the cake landed upside down and so my cake topper broke. They were able to make it look presentable, but it's definitely not what it was supposed to be and I don't want to keep it now since it's broken. 

Would you ask them for any money back or would you just let it go? I'm supposed to return their cake supports to them tomorrow to get my deposit back and I'm not sure if I should even say anything.

It sounds like they averted the major crisis, though it shouldn't have happened in the first place. But as you said these things do happen. I wouldn't ask for a refund on the cake, but I would ask them to compensate for the cake topper since that is something you wanted to hold on to that you no longer have.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards