Chit Chat

How to tell a vendor we decided to go with someone else?

FI and I met with a photographer last month. She's nice enough and her work is okay...but just okay, nothing special. I did a little more searching and found another photographer whose work I like better. It's still not the quality I would like (I don't think we're going to find that in our budget) but her work is good, and when we met with her it felt like we really clicked, so I think we're going with her.

Now the first photographer is emailing me to ask about the contract and signing engagement photos. Obviously I need to let her know we aren't interested, but I don't want to hurt her feels. I'm so bad at this, you guys. How do I say it?

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: How to tell a vendor we decided to go with someone else?

• 'Hi, Photographer --

Thanks for your interest in working with us. We enjoyed meeting with you and seeing your work. However, we have decided to go with another vendor who better suits our needs. Thank you again for your time.

Sincerely,

lala and FI'

This is a business transaction, so there's no need to worry about hurt feelings. She should be used to not getting every job she bids on. It's not personal.
    Anniversary

I'm gonna go with 'not my circus, not my monkeys.'
  • edited May 2014
    This. If she takes that badly she is unprofessional.

ETA What his girl said because this didn't quote for some reason.
  • KGold80KGold80 member
    First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    "Thanks so much for your interest in photographing our wedding. We think you do really good work and it was a tough decision, but we've decided to book a different photographer. We wanted to let you know as soon as possible so you can book someone else on that date."
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• "Hi Photographer,

I am sorry to inform you that we have decided to go with a different photographer. It was a very difficult decision. We do like your work, but feel that the other vendor is the right move for our wedding day. We hope we will get the opportunity to work with you in the future.

Best regards,

Lalalaurita"
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    eyeroll
  • daria24daria24 member
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer
    Lord y'all are wordy. I just sent "Thank you so much for taking the time to meet with us, however we have decided to go with a different vendor." 

• Inkdancer said:
    "Hi Photographer,

I am sorry to inform you that we have decided to go with a different photographer. It was a very difficult decision. We do like your work, but feel that the other vendor is the right move for our wedding day. We hope we will get the opportunity to work with you in the future.

Best regards,

Lalalaurita"
    I think this one is sort of too nice and might lead her on.  You aren't sorry you aren't booking her, and you don't want to work with someone who is "just okay" in the future.  Here's an email we sent to a photographer we decided not to book:

Hi Photographer,

Thanks for checking in.  We just finished meeting with photographers and have decided to go with someone else.  Thank you so much for taking the time to meet with us, and I wish you the best!

Best,
    JCbride and JCgroom
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

• Agreeing with what all the other PPs said! I work as a wedding coordinator for a cupcake/cake shop, and most of the time when couples decide not to book they don't let me know. I usually don't receive a call or even a quick "hey, we're going somewhere else" email. For this reason, I'm always thrilled to hear anything back from a couple that has decided to keep searching/not book with us. The previous replies are all fantastic, but I would honestly even be happy with a "nope, not booking" email! There are never any hard feelings and I never feel butt-hurt when a couple decides not to book; it's just part of the business and I understand that while we might be able to accomplish the cake/cupcakes of one couples' dreams, we might not be able to win over the next couple that comes in for a tasting. I'm sure that the photographer you've decided not to book with is probably the same way and at this point she should be used to not booking every single couple.

Best of luck though! I'm hypersensitive about hurting feels and I know how hard it can be to turn someone down.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Inkdancer said:
    "Hi Photographer,

Best regards,

Lalalaurita"
    I think this one is sort of too nice and might lead her on.  You aren't sorry you aren't booking her, and you don't want to work with someone who is "just okay" in the future.  Here's an email we sent to a photographer we decided not to book:

Hi Photographer,

Thanks for checking in.  We just finished meeting with photographers and have decided to go with someone else.  Thank you so much for taking the time to meet with us, and I wish you the best!

Best,
    JCbride and JCgroom
    A lack of assertiveness is my major failing in life. Not even kidding.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    eyeroll
  • HGF said it. I'd copy that word for word.
    Visit The Knot! Visit The Knot!
  • ShallowSeasShallowSeas member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited May 2014
    HisGirl has it.

We had to do the same thing. We just thanked the photographer for taking her time to meet with us and told her that we decided to go with someone who we felt better fit our style and budget.
    Anniversary

• Inkdancer said:

Inkdancer said:
    "Hi Photographer,

Best regards,

Lalalaurita"

Hi Photographer,

Best,
    JCbride and JCgroom
    A lack of assertiveness is my major failing in life. Not even kidding.

Thanks y'all, I've got it.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards