Snarky Brides

Let's talk cake toppers

Re: Let's talk cake toppers

• Bubblegum5586Bubblegum5586 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited May 2014
    yikes! I hate anything that looks like the groom doesn't want to get married! Like why would you want that?

I was going to ditch the cake topper too as it seemed a waste of money, and then one day while exploring on etsy I cam across these hand made sculpted owls cake topper. Now owls are our mascot from our Alma mater where we met and she customized them to the colors we wanted and made the bouquet look like mine from pictures I sent... and the best part is she put a black baseball cap with the Bruins logo on it for H. I spent WAYYYY more then I had ever planned but I plan to have them on display as knick knacks.

Anniversary
  • I think FI and I have decided on this one (and these are actually our initials in the example):

Rustic Cake Topper with Your Initials and HEART Accents, Table Centerpiece with Your Initials, Monogram Cake Topper

But I'm so cheap and don't want to pay $26 for it. FI tried to tell me last night that what's $26 in respect to how much we're spending on the whole wedding and I gently reminded him of all the other little costs we still have to account for.

• @bubblegum1309 those are so stinkin' cute! And they lend themselves well to being displayed afterwards.
  • I'm not doing them I think 99% of them are cheesy and its just one of those details I don't really care about, tbh.
  • @FiancB Love the ferrets!
  • @FiancB, omg that's the cutest thing ever! Thier tails! OMG their tails!!!!! I LOVE IT!!!!
  • Eeek! Some of these are bad. 

This might be an UO, but I really don't like the Precious Moments cake toppers. These just make me cringe. 

But THIS is the fucking worst 

Precious moments in general freak me out. One of my aunts is oppossed with them. Whenever I'd go over to her house when I was little they were all over the place, and for some reason she had several on this little shelf in the bathroom facing the toilet, so they started at you while you peed with their big sad eyes. It was freaky. 
  • FiancBFiancB member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    The tails are definitely my favorite part!
  • MagicInk said:
    ckel24 said:
    I was inspired to create this thread after looking for cake toppers of my own. This is a harder decision than I anticipated.
    Cake toppers are currently our stressing about it thing. There aren't a lot of same sex ones out there, unless you go custom made and those are costly, so I was like "lets do doves! or skip it!" and FI has put her foot down and said that "No! We aren't forgoing it or becoming birds! We deserve a cake topper reflective of us!", so I left her in charge of it.
    @MagicInk the Weddingstar brand ones have brides and grooms sold separately (got ours on Amazon) so you could buy two chicks... I don't think they have any with a blue fauxhawk though. Or wearing a red dress. They do have one in a pantsuit, lol!

• MagicInk said:
    ckel24 said:
    I was inspired to create this thread after looking for cake toppers of my own. This is a harder decision than I anticipated.
    Cake toppers are currently our stressing about it thing. There aren't a lot of same sex ones out there, unless you go custom made and those are costly, so I was like "lets do doves! or skip it!" and FI has put her foot down and said that "No! We aren't forgoing it or becoming birds! We deserve a cake topper reflective of us!", so I left her in charge of it.
    @MagicInk the Weddingstar brand ones have brides and grooms sold separately (got ours on Amazon) so you could buy two chicks... I don't think they have any with a blue fauxhawk though. Or wearing a red dress. They do have one in a pantsuit, lol!
    I'm sending that to FI. We could paint a white dress red...and maybe slap some tattoos on her.
  • OMG, even your cake topper can hold a sign. 

We talked about these goofy ones from Etsy- Bigfoot and the Abominable Snowman.  It's just so weird and wtf that we almost did it.  Instead my DH liked a cake topper with lovebirds so we did that.
  • doeydodoeydo member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited May 2014
    No-show bride who was busy 'shopping':
    Abusive bridezilla:
    The other woman:
    The man-slave:
    image.
  • The "other woman" topper is bizarre! Who would even use that?!
  • ckel24 said:
    The "other woman" topper is bizarre! Who would even use that?!
    Really! Who in their right might would put that on their wedding cake???
  • edited May 2014
    @MagicInk blowing kisses brides!

• I really hope FI and I can use this one:
  • I don't have any funny ones. We weren't going to use a cake topper but FMIL asked us to use the one they used when in their wedding. It is a family heirloom and has been used in every wedding in their family for the past 87 years. I'll post a picture later.
  • @shrekspeare those are all hilarious. I saw the skeleton one online and I love that you actually know someone who used it.

@jdluvr06 I'd love to see the family heirloom one that you're using!

• @ckel24‌ I'll take a picture of it this weekend. If is still at FMIL's house but we're going there for a Memorial Day picnic this weekend.
    Here is my cake and topper.

Disclaimer:   There was a tropical storm that hit on our wedding day.  We were under a tent.  It was very humid and windy.   The sail on my sailboat fell, the tablecloth blew up on the cake.  So it's not a nice as it could have been.  But it didn't ruin my day either.  Specially since the cake itself was amazing.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Adorable Daughter's cake topper is being made by her father. I am absolutely clueless as to what it will look like. On one hand, he's an artist. On the other hand, he's a very odd little man, and anything could happen. 
    I tried to find a picture of his work online, and there is almost nothing, because he has no business sense at all. 
    She doesn't care. 
    The only pics of his work I found. Halloween and Christmas things. So he can do happy.  Or a weirdass winged animal. I do not know.  It could potentially be the weirdest cake topper known to man. 
  • if we decide to do a cake topper it will probably be a gum past "12" for the 12th man ..as we are ginormous Seahawks fans
    Anniversary
  • @lyndausvi - the fact that a tropical storm hit the day of your wedding makes the fallen sail seem completely appropriate. It's as if your cake mirrored the weather. :)

Plus, it's cute! I love tropical wedding cakes.
  • @lyndausvi - the fact that a tropical storm hit the day of your wedding makes the fallen sail seem completely appropriate. It's as if your cake mirrored the weather. :)

Plus, it's cute! I love tropical wedding cakes.
    LOL - after all these years I never looked at it like that.   You are right.   It was appropriate.  The tent even collapsed the morning of the wedding (we had a sunset wedding)

DH designed the cake.  We are not traditional people and we lived on an island.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards