Just Engaged and Proposals
Options

Which Grandmother's Ring?

His is a green amethyst ring, mine is a diamond. Will his be durable enough for everyday use? 
Above all, clothe yourselves with love, which binds us all together in perfect harmony. -Colossians 3:14

Re: Which Grandmother's Ring?

• Options
    emmyg65emmyg65 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    Amethyst is a 7 on the Mohs scale of mineral hardness, which is plenty durable for everyday wear. I did find this on the internet: 

There are certain elements that amethyst should not be exposed to. The ring should not be worn when dealing with chlorine or salt water.

This means that the bride should not wear it swimming in pools or oceans, or when cleaning without nonporous gloves. Both the chlorine and salt water will discolor the amethyst by subtly changing the iron impurities that gives it the unique color.

• Options
    Thanks! I have been trying to research it as well, but I have heard conflicting views on whether or not a 7 is hard enough. But I wouldn't wear my ring while swimming anway I don't swim with any jewelry because I'm too afraid I'll loose it.
    Above all, clothe yourselves with love, which binds us all together in perfect harmony. -Colossians 3:14
  • Options
    A 7 should be okay for every day wear. If you work with your hands a lot, it could be more of an issue though.

Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards