Snarky Brides

The worst wedding trends on Pinterest...

Re: The worst wedding trends on Pinterest...

• KGold80KGold80 member
    First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited May 2014
    beethery said:

NOPE.

WHO FUCKING HAS THIS THOUGHT AND THEN IS LIKE YES GOOD IDEA, GOING TO DO THIS. GOING TO COERCE OTHERS INTO ACCEPTING MY GOOD IDEA.

I know, right? My MOH would be like "you want me to what!?"
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• hellohkbhellohkb mod
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited May 2014
    Bahahahaha...
    YES

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Oh fuck that. If there are photos of me in my actual panties, they sure as fuck ain't on the fucking internet.

Yes, because I am a total camera who're with a friend who is a photographer - I do yearly boudoir shoots. Those are for me and DF. Not everyone in the world.

Dear God. There's WRITING on the panties! What the hell? I stopped wearing days of the week panties when I was 5. I don't have writing on my panties.
  • I'm guessing the panties say "Bride" and "Bridesmaid". Double ick.

BARF
    I hate people who actually post this on their boards, and the "in the future" boards laid out with all different wedding plans and some e-rings mixed in. Even worse are the 15 year olds with 3 CT Tiffany rings with the caption "PERFECT! My Future Husband better buy this for me!".

That being said, I did actually create a board (solely with rings that I had found on designers' websites and even included the pricing for the settings to make it easier) that I sent through email to BF, but only AFTER he asked me what I would like, and he looked at me like I had a second head when I tried to describe certain aspects. He has a pretty good sense of style when it comes to everything but jewelry, and got very overwhelmed when he walked into a jewelry store to try to pick one out on his own. I made a board with either solitare, sidestone, or round halo rings, to give him  options, but all in the same metal and center stone size. The one that he ended up ordering was on my board.

• I also had a board full of ideas, but it was mostly to help us figure things out. Neither of us know anything about jewelry, so I put it together, sent him the link, and said, "Um, something like these, but less expensive." 

Even though I'd pinned some rings that were $6000, it was just to show the style I wanted. I told him I didn't want anything that cost more than $1000. My e-ring is a simple, antique band with a small diamond, so I doubt he spent more than $500, which is perfectly fine with me.
  • @wrigleyville that's basically what I did too. I think I did pin a few that were more expensive then what I wanted to spend, but again, only to give him an idea of the style, and only after he told me how overwhelmed he was going in blind.

• I didn't have a board on Pinterest, we went to the jewelry store and I tried rings on so we could both get an idea of what we liked. The ring he picked is one he saw in the case and I tried on that day :)

I don't mind Pinterest boards with rings..... If you are no longer in high school! A middle schooler that I used to babysit has devoted her Pinterest to her future wedding and tattoos. Tattoo dreaming- cool, pinning wedding stuff while you're at the spring fling dance- not cool.
  • AuroraRose41AuroraRose41 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited May 2014
    @wajohnson09 I hate it when I see middle and high schoolers who post things like that. I once saw a combined wedding and prom board on Pinterest. It was filled with terrible ideas. I also really dislike this girl who I went to college with, who kept pinning things from my best friend's wedding board. My friend (who I am a bridesmaid for) is getting married in 2015. This girl (who is a complete AW), is not engaged, and not even close to being engaged, but had a public wedding board and literally pinned every single pin on my friend's board. In addition, she has 3 CT Tiffany e-rings, a Honeymoon Jar, and "43 ways to add much needed glitter to your life!" on it. My friend and I want her to get engaged just so we can snark about how awful everything will be (she uses Facebook like her personal diary, so it will be very entertaining). And BF wanted it to be completely traditional, so I made him the board to give him plenty of (reasonable!) options and then he could go pick something out. He was still really overwhelmed, so finally we did the same thing and just went and tried on rings, and he ordered one last weekend in front of me. He still has to have his "proposal moment" as he puts it though, and I agreed to give him that. ETF/ETA: TK is eating my paragraphs.....

• I agree I don't like any cake toppers where it looks like the bride or groom aren't happy. If I want to do something humorous I will save it for the grooms cake, and either way I'm not going in that direction. I also hate when people have shitty-looking cake topper figures that look like they're made out of play-dough. I don't blame them for wanting custom toppers from etsy or whatever but most of them look like crap and people pay way too much for them.
  • This board is awesome ^_^

I dislike the movie Bridesmaids.  I'm sorry...I feel like I am in the minority and I should like it, but I tried and I just can't.  

I cannot stand cake toppers with men playing Xbox.

Oh!  And those pictures of brides holding mini grooms in their hands really bothers me, or vice versa.  
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• melbensomelbenso member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited May 2014
    There is so much wrong with this... I can't even start...

The first two of these (hung out in the past year and spent time together outside of work) ended up being things I used to narrow down my guest list - but only with people I wasn't sure I was going to invite anyway.  A decent number of friends who I haven't seen in the past year- because they live far away - have been invited to the wedding.

(edited to add image, didn't copy with quote)
  • Gizmo813 said:
    I haven't read this whole thread, but I am immensely annoyed by the idea of elaborately "proposing" to your bridesmaids by showering them with gifts (wine, jewelry, etc.) and cutesy poems. Maybe I'm just extremely boring, but I simply asked mine. In person (or over the phone, in some cases). By saying "Would you be a bridesmaid in my wedding?"  
    Yeah, I sort of feel the same way.  Fi's cousin invited everybody over for a "girls' night out" and then did a big proposal thing to ask us to be her BMs.  On the one hand, she had obviously spent a lot of time and effort on the little gift boxes and I was touched that she asked me to be a BM.  On the other hand, she explained everything inside represented her "vision" for the wedding.  It was her wedding colors, and all little trinkets of things that she likes.  Ex. she wants a tea party-themed bridal shower, so there was tea in the box.  She said she got the idea on Pinterest (where else?).

Of course I said yes because I love her like my own cousin, and it's Fi's family.  But I'm getting ready for a Pinterest mememe wedding, matching necklaces, etc.  I'm already gearing up for them to have a gap because they booked the reception venue before the Catholic church and she's shocked they can't get married at 5pm on a Sunday.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

• https://www.etsy.com/listing/124089187/burlap-and-white-cotton-lace-ringbearer?ref=listing-4

I did not find this on Pinterest, I found it when searching for cake toppers. But it is right out of a Pinterest nightmare. image
    Really????
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    eyeroll
  • melbenso said:
    There is so much wrong with this... I can't even start...

The first two of these (hung out in the past year and spent time together outside of work) ended up being things I used to narrow down my guest list - but only with people I wasn't sure I was going to invite anyway.  A decent number of friends who I haven't seen in the past year- because they live far away - have been invited to the wedding.

(edited to add image, didn't copy with quote)
    My main problems with this are, "Has your fiance ever met them?" and "Would they invite you to their wedding?"

First of all, it doesn't matter if your FI has met them. What about SOs? What about a cousin you practically grew up with but your FI hasn't met them simply because they live far away? There are too many valid exceptions to this one. Also, I hadn't met a ton of H's relatives before the wedding because they live in FL and we hadn't had a chance to vacation there.

For the second one, wedding invitations aren't tit-for-tat. Just because someone didn't invite you to their wedding doesn't mean you should automatically cross them off. Everyone has a budget, and sometimes that budget means not inviting cousins, or friends in certain circles, etc.

So, I get the point of the checklist, I really do. It just concerns me because there are so many grey areas it doesn't address, and I'm worried some snowflakes will use it as justification to exclude people who really should be invited (like SOs) or get retaliation at their friend for not inviting them to their super-low-key-budget-intimate-family-only wedding.
  • Nothing says "Welcome to my home!" like a bunch of shit hanging on the front door.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Mr. Bean Flipping the Bird
  • FiancBFiancB member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    My sister sent me this and I think it passes through all the circles of Hell of pinterest weddings. First, rustic. Second, cutesy signage. Third, tired jokes about people not wanting to go through with it.

• KGold80KGold80 member
    First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    FiancB said:
    My sister sent me this and I think it passes through all the circles of Hell of pinterest weddings. First, rustic. Second, cutesy signage. Third, tired jokes about people not wanting to go through with it.

But at least the bride and groom would be running in the same direction! Maybe if someone grabbed some of the jute string you're sure to see on the centerpieces they could rope em up and bring them back to the altar.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• I wish there were a way to filter pins. Like, if I want to browse the Weddings board, it would be nice to be able to filter "burlap" and "rustic" so they don't show up.
  • tortoisebridetortoisebride member
    5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited May 2014
    I like how shittily that "label" is done too. It's just a white rectangle pasted onto the bottle with jpg compressed text all in it. I'm surprised they managed to rotate the text to match the angle, with that level of skill.
    This is me reading threads on TK
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

STUCK IN BOX

Ok, this makes me laugh (aside from the poor quality of the picture) because, aside from calling my best friends biatches, this is pretty accurate. My girlfriends and I are winos and this would have been perfect.  Too late now though, darn!  

• Confession: We did cutesy "be in our wedding party" things. We put candy in envelopes and wrote notes that said "Here are some treats, be our wedding peep?" and then more personalized "Will you stand up at our wedding that is we swear finally taking place on 11/1?" notes for each individual and sent them off. We figured hey, candy, good.
  • MagicInk said:

Confession: We did cutesy "be in our wedding party" things. We put candy in envelopes and wrote notes that said "Here are some treats, be our wedding peep?" and then more personalized "Will you stand up at our wedding that is we swear finally taking place on 11/1?" notes for each individual and sent them off. We figured hey, candy, good.

I did cutesy things for my sisters... one long note that was folded accordion style in a little box so it opened fold by fold when they pulled the lid off. Talked about how much they meant to me and how I couldn't imagine getting married without them at my side. Then at the bottom of the box was the jewelry I got everyone to wear the day of (not their gift. Dresses don't match so I thought matching jewelry would be nice. Bought necklaces and earrings and said they could choose to wear either or both).

For the other girls, I just asked them privately and gave them the jewelry when they said yes.

Hate it if you want, whateva whateva. Different strokes. There wasn't any question as to whether my sisters would say no, so it's not like the box pressured them.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards