Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Facebook Fail

A girl on my facebook just posted this article and tagged all of her bridesmaids... What a delight. http://www.brides.com/blogs/aisle-say/2014/05/what-a-bridesmaid-should-never-do.html

Re: Facebook Fail

• Options
    I do completely agree with No. 5. 

NO ONE -- bride, BM, MOG, MOB, whomever -- should order a dress a size too small because they plan to lose weight.

The rest of them....yeah, if I were that girl's BMs, I'd be popping open the wine right about now.
    Anniversary

I'm gonna go with 'not my circus, not my monkeys.'
  • Options
    She posted that? She sounds like a peach. 
  • Options
    Whoever wrote that is an entitled idiot.  So wrong (except #5) on so many levels.
  • Options
    #10 infuriates me - brides don't get an exemption from being good friends.
  • Options
    BreMRBreMR member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper

PDKH said:
    #10 infuriates me - brides don't get an exemption from being good friends.
    I found that one the most annoying!!  I also found it funny that brides should get a say in how your skin looks on their wedding day... better use that sunscreen!
  • Options
    I feel like #3 is just good life advice though. However, that is from the point of view of not wanting skin cancer. I wouldn't tell someone to wear sunscreen just so they look good on my wedding day.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    clueclaw said:
    I feel like #3 is just good life advice though. However, that is from the point of view of not wanting skin cancer. I wouldn't tell someone to wear sunscreen just so they look good on my wedding day.
    I've never burned in my life, so I'm terrible about putting on sunscreen, but I feel like one day it will come back to bite me. 
  • Options
    clueclaw said:
    This is true! I'm a runner, and I slather on sunscreen all summer long when I'm outside running. Last year, I had someone say, 'Oh, is that so you don't have tan lines for your wedding?' and I was like, 'No, it's so I don't get skin cancer and DIE. Call me vain and all.'

Yeah I am usually pretty good at wearing suncreen, but a couple of Saturdays ago, I messed up. I was outside longer than expected. My arms got burned. I also tan easily, so they are now darker than my back and chest. So now I have to sun bathe to even out my tan lines. I don't want to look like an oreo.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    kitsunegari89kitsunegari89 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited May 2014
    I agree with #5 and #9

I had a bridesmaid that did both, unfortunately. She ordered a too-small dress at the last minute and tried to crash diet... it didn't work out so we (I) had to track down another dress in a larger size from a brick and mortar jcrew... they only had one in stock 0_0

She agreed to be a bridesmaid, and was totally uninvolved with the wedding, except to inform me that it we were doing things "properly", I would have treated all the BM's to an extravagant spa day and would have also paid for their hair and makeup (which I had no opinion on... I left them to their own devices). She left the shower, rehearsal dinner, and reception early.
    She had really unrealistic expectations of me. Wanting an extravagant bachelorette party... which the bride doesn't even throw, right? Don't the bridesmaids do that? I could have definitely done without all the sulking and snarking and opinions from her... there is something to be said about keeping your mouth shut when you're a bridesmaid. She was very opinionated even though I was not weird or demanding. I just wanted to not hear her opinion for like, five minutes. I mean, literally all she had to do was show up for the wedding sober and in the correct clothing, and attend pre-wedding stuff as she was able. She made everything out to be a huge inconvenience... even eating nice free food at the rehearsal dinner and shower my MIL threw. Nothing was fancy enough or extravagant enough for her. She complained at the reception that we *only* had beer and wine and champagne, but no cocktails.
    My colors are "blood of my enemies" and "rage".

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m3h1kr8sYk1qzve89.gif
  • Options
    I read that and the only thing my BM's have done is offer unsolicited opinions.

I told them to get black dresses of their choosing, they whined about not matching and ruining my pictures. WTF?

But they all HAVE dresses now, so problem is over, moving right along. 

I mean, really, if someone has burned shoulders, my photog can just edit that stuff out. 

• Options
    kazza25kazza25 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    I was aaalmost guilty of no 5 when I was a BM last year - I suggested in the shop that I get a size smaller as I wanted to lose weight, but I took one look at the bride's slightly worried face and backtracked and bought the size that fit me then. As it happened I DID lose weight and ended up getting the size smaller from eBay!

Now i need to try and repeat that trick with my actual wedding dress *sigh* talk about putting pressure on yourself!
  • Options
    KaurisKauris member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    One of my BMs ordered her dress size too small, I'm more than a little anxious about it. The other BM, sales girl and I all advised her not to, but she said if she couldn't fit, she would pay me back and buy another. (I bought their dresses, NOT as their present.)
  • Options
    I do completely agree with No. 5. 

NO ONE -- bride, BM, MOG, MOB, whomever -- should order a dress a size too small because they plan to lose weight.

The rest of them....yeah, if I were that girl's BMs, I'd be popping open the wine right about now.
    Definitely happens though :(
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Options
    ashleyepashleyep member
    First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited May 2014
    I think the advice overall is reasonable, but most of it shouldn't need to be said. And of course, a lot of those should all be appended with "within reason."

Even with 4, it's something you should bring up before hand, not after the fact. Plan the bachelorette party or shower you can afford, don't bitch about how expensive it was after the fact.

Anniversary
  • Options
    So basically the advice is, shut up and look pretty?

My friend's friend had a bridesmaid bitch about the cost of the wedding. Bridesmaid had found out she was pregnant (unplanned) and then her hours got cut at work, so she was freaking out and called the bride and said "You're wedding is costing me a lot of money" and the bride responded "Well it's costing me more!" and then hung up. Well fuck yeah it's costing you more, it's your fucking wedding. But your VERY DEAR FRIEND is having some life issues and needs you to listen to her.
  • Options
    I feel very sorry for some friends of mine right now. They are BMs in a wedding right now and the normally level headed bride is being a total bridezilla. Bride has already dictated that the group gift for the shower be a gift card to home depot AND a brand new Coach purse. I sort of wish I would be invited to watch the shit show, but I'm on the fringe of knowing her and won't be.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards