Pennsylvania-Pittsburgh

question about gift customs in western PA

I am not a native of western PA but will be marrying here. I am from the south, where the custom is to bring or send a gift from the registry. What is typically done here? Gifts or money? I am not sure what the local customs are and I would like to know what to expect. It feels odd to me that people would give me cash - where I'm from only a close relative would do that. Not that I'll complain if it happens!

Although I am not a native, I am borrowing your custom of a cookie table, and I can't wait for that. Best wedding custom ever, as far as I'm concerned. :)

Re: question about gift customs in western PA

• csuavecsuave member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper

"Although I am not a native, I am borrowing your custom of a cookie table, and I can't wait for that. Best wedding custom ever, as far as I'm concerned. :)"

I love this!  I am not originally from Pittsburgh and I love the cookie table!

Since I am not a native I'm not sure about the customs here but I think cash is a fairly common gift.  I think you should make a registry of things you really want.  Maybe aim for "medium" size registry since large sometimes signals you may have a preference for boxed gifts and small registry signals cash is welcome.  If you see it getting bought up you can always add things as the wedding gets closer. 

• I'm not native to Pittsburgh, but I am from PA and I've seen a mix of cash and gifts, but definitely more cash. I'm also doing a cookie table :)

• I'm originally from the area... most will buy something off of your registry and have it shipped if a box gift. You'll probably get a few boxed gifts but for the majority it's gift cards and money.

Btw- glad you're stealing the cookie table. It is seriously the best thing ever :)
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Thanks for your help, ladies. :)

I am really looking forward to those cookies.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards