Attire & Accessories Forum

Wedding Day: Heels vs. Flats

LwaryjasLwaryjas member
5 Love Its First Answer First Comment
So I'm not sure what I should do, I'm having an elegant beach wedding (will never be in the sand, Im getting married in a gazebo) and Im trying to decide if I should do heels or flats. After a few hours I'm afraid the heels will kill my feet, but love the elegance of them (I'm looking at about a 3-4 inch heel). Thinking about wearing flats just seems odd since its my wedding day. Then I have also thought about wearing heels and then potentially switching to flats later that day. But what about the dress getting hemmed? Has anyone thought about this? Help!

Re: Wedding Day: Heels vs. Flats

• What about low heels? Oh, btw...eloquent, eloquence:
    Lwaryjas said:
    So I'm not sure what I should do, I'm having an eloquent beach wedding (will never be in the sand, Im getting married in a gazebo) and Im trying to decide if I should do heels or flats. After a few hours I'm afraid the heels will kill my feet, but love the eloquence of them (I'm looking at about a 3-4 inch heel). Thinking about wearing flats just seems odd since its my wedding day. Then I have also thought about wearing heels and then potentially switching to flats later that day. But what about the dress getting hemmed? Has anyone thought about this? Help!

• My daughter is six feet tall in her bare feet.  She wore ballet flats at her wedding, and happily danced in comfort.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • If you're not used to heels, I'd recommend doing kitten heels, low wedges or flats. 

I wore heels, I wear heels almost every day. I am used to heels. I had cheap foam wedges to change into for comfort reasons. Almost nobody actually saw my heels. Don't pick a pair of shoes just to be pretty, pick something relatively comfortable that you can wear for an extended period of time. 

Anniversary
  • Most people won't even see your shoes on your wedding day. Go with what's comfortable. Don't wear heels just because you think you have too.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Just don't wear flip-flops!  Please don't!

(I think you meant elegant?)
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Eloquent = well spoken
    Elegant = sophisticated, graceful

I wore 3.5" heels for my ceremony and photos, then switched to ballet flats for the rest of the night.  My dress was hemmed for the heels, but didn't seem to drag on the ground too much in the flats.  I only had one person step on it all night with no real damage done. 

Ditto PPs that no one will see your shoes if you have a floor length dress.  The heels I wore were extremely comfortable, but not exactly pretty.  You can see them in exactly 2 pictures (one the wind was blowing my skirt, the other I was on a swing)
  • I think I will wear flats for the ceremony and pictures because they will be outside and I just feel like it will be a big pain to wear heels. I want to wear heels at some point though because I think they make me feel so much more dressed up and fancy. Then I will probably switch back to the flats later on during the reception since I will have them anyway and my feel will probably get sore from the heels.
  • I am wearing heels for my wedding, and will have those god-awful platform flip flops when my feet begin to cry.

My dress is long, nobody will see!

image   image   image

• Cat heels here - what friends and I call heels that are bigger than kitten heels, but not to pump heels.

No dancing, but will go bar hopping (limited alcohol, just going for fun) after. I'm switching to something. If cold, a pair of tights and my gray 20 eyelet Doc Marten's. Warm, a pair of Ked's with Bride in rhinestones. Cold is more likely so I'm making a Sherlock coat in pale gray to wear along with a tweed cap to put over my veil.
  • If you opt for any kind of heel, make sure you wear them around the house to try and break them in!  I'm somewhat used to heels and tried to break them in a little but obviously it wasn't enough because by the end of the night my feet hurt so bad it was actually painful to just take off the shoes!  
  • I am going to wear flats
  • vh2014vh2014 member
    First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    I am doing red heels for the ceremony that match my BM dresses... I already owned them from being a BM myself so figured why not.  They are  broken in and were very comfortable when I've worn them before.  For the reception I am wearing split sole ballet shoes which are by far the most comfortable shoes on the planet, IMHO. I was wearing them for the ceremony too but the red was just too fun.  I am having the dress hemmed to the ballet shoes so my red toes (they are open toe shoes) and my red shoes may peek out as I walk. I'm fine with it.  Particularly because it is less likely I'll trip and fall during the reception.. note I said less likely, not definitely... 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I am wearing heels for my wedding, and will have those god-awful platform flip flops when my feet begin to cry. My dress is long, nobody will see!
    I loved my "god-awful platform flip flops" that I wore for pictures and my reception.  What I hated were my 3.5" heels that I wore for my ceremony and then immediately kicked off because my feet were screaming at me.

OP, wear what is comfortable instead of what you think you should be wearing.  If your dress is long and hemmed correctly no one will really see your shoes except for maybe the tips of your toes.

• ktbee21ktbee21 member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment
    The hemming of the dress to match the shoes is something I never thought of-good point! I would think if you want to wear heels for pictures/ceremony and you know you are going to switch to flats for dancing, then buy 1-2inch heels and they will look great for pictures! After that, no one sees them (and no one really cares, they will be focused on you and your dress!) so dont spend too much money on too high of a heel.
  • I'm also having an outdoor wedding.  My dress is long, so I figured no one is going to see my feet and comfort is more important.  I bought a pair of silver converse sneakers.  I'm more excited about them than my dress!
  • kitty8403kitty8403 member
    First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited May 2014
    I planned on flats but ended up with about 3" heels. I might buy wedges and switch. If it's hemmed for heels you can't change height much but you can get shoes that fit more comfortably and are easier to walk/dance in later in the day.

ETA: this depends a lot on what you are used to. I wear boots almost 24-7, but not super-high heels, so for me the height difference is maybe an inch/inch and a half from normal. I wouldn't do sky-high heels.
  • tcnobletcnoble member
    First Comment First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its
    jrpownall said:
    I'm also having an outdoor wedding.  My dress is long, so I figured no one is going to see my feet and comfort is more important.  I bought a pair of silver converse sneakers.  I'm more excited about them than my dress!
    I was talking to FI about shoes the other night. I have huge feet (size 12) so finding shoes that fit me is really hard. His suggestion was a pair of converse sneakers! Do you mind sharing a link??
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I'm trying to decide between wedges or ballet flats.  I'm not much into heels and I know my feet would be screaming at me if I tried to wear them and have to stand in them for too long. 

• @tcnoble - I have huge feet too - should probably be in a 12 but am clinging to my size 11s.  Big feet suck!

• tcnobletcnoble member
    First Comment First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its
    @april182015bride if you find any cute ballet flats send them my way!! Ugh big foot struggles...
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • tcnoble said:

jrpownall said:

I'm also having an outdoor wedding.  My dress is long, so I figured no one is going to see my feet and comfort is more important.  I bought a pair of silver converse sneakers.  I'm more excited about them than my dress!

I was talking to FI about shoes the other night. I have huge feet (size 12) so finding shoes that fit me is really hard. His suggestion was a pair of converse sneakers! Do you mind sharing a link??

I got them from Journeys. I can't seem to find them listed on the website, but this is what they look like! They also have Vans that are very similar, and sparkly Toms as well!
    Hope this helps! Like i said, Im totally psyched about my sneakers! My friend spent $500 on her wedding shoes, which of course no one even saw. I spent $60 and i can wear them loads after the wedding!

• I found a little 2 inch heel that I love. It's comfy and has a back strap so I don't slide around but still enough heel to feel elegant. 
  • Definitely go with what you are comfortable with! I wore flats!
    "It's always better when we're together." -Jack Johnson
  • Ohh great topic, I've had people asking me what I am going to wear. My FH is the same height as me and he is not bothered at all if I wear heels, but everyone else seems to be bothered by it. We are both 5'11, so I think I will opt for a kitten heel or just beautiful flats :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards