Just Engaged and Proposals

Sound off: First Look

Hey Knotties,

Are you and your fiance planning a first look? Love the idea? Hate it? 

Share your thoughts here -- and share your photos if you have any! :) 

photo: Nadia D. Photography

xo,
KP

Re: Sound off: First Look

• We had a first look. I loved it. My sister didn't and she loved the way she did it. Different strokes for different folks.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • I'm absolutely planning one. It will hopefully make it so we don't have to take photos after the ceremony and we can go straight to the reception.
  • We didn't have a first look and loved being able to see H's face for the first time as I turned the corner to walk down the aisle.  Later on I told H that maybe we should have done a first look because I think it would have helped to alleviate some of H's nerves (he wasn't nervous about marrying me he was just nervous that everyone was going to be looking at him and that he thought that if he had a chance to talk to me before he wouldn't have been so nervous...kind of wish he told me that from the get go).

But really, I don't think one way is better then the other.  But I certainly wouldn't do a first look for the sole fact to get incredible pictures.  Doing something just for pictures is not how you should make decisions.

• emmyg65emmyg65 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    Had a first look and loved it, but we didn't get good pictures out of it. That's not why we did it though, and it allowed us to get tons of great couple's pictures before our ceremony.
  • KGold80KGold80 member
    First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    We're still a LITTLE bit on the fence, but leaning toward the first look. Once the wedding activities get underway we will have very little time to focus only on each other. In addition to the wedding, we have three kids and they will demand our attention as well. We think the first look will give us that moment to be "alone" and hopefully calm any nerves as well.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• We're planning on doing a first look.
  • We'll probably do our formal pics before the wedding, so....yeah.  First Look.  That way, there's no gap - we can go straight to the reception afterwards.  :)

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• I was always skeptical about the first look until I met my photographer and she has some great ideas! My fiance was surprisingly all for it but I always wanted that "aha" moment as I walk down the aisle..

I still have some time to think about but I think I will be doing the first look because we can spend more time with our friends and family during cocktail hour! Our ceremony and reception are at the same location, so we don;t have a long gap between the two.

Does any one have ideas for the first look? 
  • We are doing a first look. Not only is it more convenient when it come to the wedding day time line, but I also think it will be a great to have that personal moment.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Definitely thought we would not do a first look but after talking with our photographer we've decided to do a first look. Our decision came down to having those special moments together before all the activity got under way. Looking forward to those intimate moments. I still believe our photographer will capture those moments he sees me for the first time.
  • We're having a first look. Took some time to convince my fiance but in the end it will save us time between the ceremony and the reception. Plus it will end up saving us a little money on the photographer.
  • the first look will be great! it will just be the two of us (and our photographer off in the distance) not 200 people sharing it with us!! then we will have about an hour or so to do some more pictures and just get ready for the walk down the aisle and I think it will help calm our nerves!
  • Don't invite 200 people if you are not going to let them share in the exchange between the bride, her father, her mother and the groom. It's my favorite part of every wedding I go to. It involves the guests in the ceremony which is the way it should be. It's about the ceremony, not just the reception.
  • We are planning on it just to make things a little easier.  the ceremony and the reception are in the same spot so there will not be any alone time afterwards to do pictures. and I don't want it ruined by someones phone. 
  • keyshaanderickeyshaanderic member
    First Comment
    edited May 2014
    I am torn...I think having that special moment, just the two of us would be absolutely wonderful....however my fiance wants to wait to see me until the ceremony and I am walking down the aisle
  • Initially, we were against the first look... we wanted to have that special moment at the ceremony. But after talking to our photographers and married friends, we decided that special first look moment would be more intimate with just the two of us and maybe calm our nerves at the ceremony. We will do some photos after the ceremony with each other, the bridal party and our families, but also hope to enjoy part of our cocktail hour with our guests.
  • No first look for us not because of superstition but because I want to experience that moment at the ceremony :)
  • duhitsdduhitsd member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    This article really helped us be confident in our decision to do a first look when we get married next year. http://thechansons.com/?p=6281
    image Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We are definitely doing a first look, at first we didn't want to but then decided it will make our day run much smoother!
  • finneafinnea member
    First Comment
    I like the idea of letting my fiancé have the first look, of sharing that moment, just the two of us.
  • If you want to do it, cool, but there are a bunch of things that bug me about this. It seems like this is a thing invented by photographers for their own convenience. I even saw one photography site that said, "It is no longer bad luck for the bride and groom to see each other before the ceremony." Well, I may not be superstitious, but if bad luck did exist, that seems mighty presumptuous of a photographer to decide that it just doesn't anymore because the industry said so. I've been waiting my whole life to see my husband's face when I walk up the aisle. I'm glad I didn't get pressured in to this.
  • Even if you have a first look, the moment you walk down the aisle will still be special. I think first looks are great for people like me and my FI who aren't that great at being the center of attention. It's most definitely going to calm our nerves.

This is one of the only times you get to say, it's our wedding and we can do what we want. 
  • We're getting married at a museum that has a lovely all window skybridge, that is just perfect to do a first look.  I like the convenience of doing the photos before the ceremony, for our guests, and to get rid of our nerves. 

I am also really intrigued by the idea of having a "First Look" with my dad.  I am pretty emotional, and I'm hoping these moments "pre-ceremony" will keep me from crying through the whole thing.  
  • thelter43 said:
    If you want to do it, cool, but there are a bunch of things that bug me about this. It seems like this is a thing invented by photographers for their own convenience. I even saw one photography site that said, "It is no longer bad luck for the bride and groom to see each other before the ceremony." Well, I may not be superstitious, but if bad luck did exist, that seems mighty presumptuous of a photographer to decide that it just doesn't anymore because the industry said so. I've been waiting my whole life to see my husband's face when I walk up the aisle. I'm glad I didn't get pressured in to this.
    Of course this was a photographer made thing.  Just like all those shoe pictures (I have a few of them) and any other 'silly' shots you see on Pinterest.  It is really a to each their own thing but if your photographer is pressuring you into doing a first look for "pinterest and style me pretty ready pictures" then you need a new photographer.

• We're actually thinking of getting ready together the day of, so no first look to do at all. But if we don't get ready together we'll probably do one.

Mostly because, we aren't doing her waiting at the front for me to walk down the aisle, or vice versa. The current plan (changed from the original plan) is for her to walk down the aisle with her dads first, and then me to follow with my mom and dad. So, we'll have to see each other before walking down the aisle. In less we're blindfolded while we walk down. Which sounds hilarious and also really dangerous.
  • We plan on doing a first look because we are walking down the aisle together. Also I want to have that moment together without the anxiety of all eyes on me.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards